Ms Finkelstein's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Margarita or Bust. Son of Biergarten. Day 15

The Death Plunge of Terrifying Terror and Death aka Blizzard Beach and Boma

(Adopting Dr Nick Riviera voice)

"Hi Everybody!"

We are -

Me - Diane, Di, She Who Must Be Obeyed, The Donald lover, Disneyaddict and Master Planner.

Gordon - Grumpy, Gunter, He Who Must Be Ignored, Jasmine Stalker, Evil Queen Lover, Disneyfoodblogaddict, Provider of Funds.

Son - Ben, Thing 1, Wise Beyond his Years, Very Much like his Father (wherein lies the problem).

Daughter - Heather, Thing 2, Princess, Diva, Wannabe Emo, Never Knowingly Full.

You can catch up with any previous days here.

We are now moving into slightly uncharted waters here as I pretty much have no idea what we did for the rest of the holiday - I feel I have a pretty good excuse though, we are talking all the way back to a holiday from 2010 now. I don't have the receipts anymore, so see that game we were playing with all the DDP credits? Just pretend that never happened, and let us never speak of it again. All I have to go on is the photos we have and my own memory (and since I often forget what my own name is this should be fun!) Betcha can't wait lol!

And so let us begin...

We got up... pick a time, anytime!... probably at about 8ish since that seems to have been the norm so far. Michael and Susan had started visiting other resorts for breakfast, and since we seemed to have a lot of CS credits left we thought we should shamelessly copy them and do the same. What resort today? No contest really, it would have to be Port Orleans French Quarter. If you have read my previous trippie then you will have noticed I developed a slight addiction to beignets... and the delightful little deep fried bundles of icing sugar covered delights had been calling me all holiday...

[IMG][/IMG]

You need to understand what happens to me when I enter POFQ especially when I near the food court. I immediately adopt a (very bad) lazy Southern American drawl.

Saaaaaaaaaassagooooouuuullllllaaaaa.

It's kind of a little bit Dallas, with a bit of Stacey from the Top 10 things to do in Disney video "look at all the lazy people in the laaaaazzzzeeeee river".

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I just love French Quarter. I don't know what anyone else had, but I had me some biegnets - delish!

I think we may even have sat outside to eat, as you can tell my trip reports are now absolutely detail orientated!

After filling up with biegnets and other assorted breakfast sundries we headed off to our port of call for the day - Blizzard Beach.

Parking up we quickly headed in and picked our spot for the day.

[IMG][/IMG]

Right by Melt Away Bay
[IMG][/IMG]

Not sure what order we did things today but after slathering on the suncream we headed off. At this point I think we headed off 'up the mountain', and for the first time we used the ski lift. Which was a terrible error.

The girl and I were on 1 lift seat, along with a schoolteacher from Aberdeen who had just arrived in Orlando on holiday. I am terrified of heights, so spent the whole time in a state of utter fear clutching onto the girls leg (why I don't know, think I was trying to stop her falling out). I obviously hadn't realised just how high up you go on the ski lift, it seems to nice and gentle when you're watching from the ground. I did try to maintain an outer semblance of normality but I don' t think I was successful as the woman practically sprinted out her seat when she got to the top to get away from us. We did chat a bit, she was saying she was planning to do Summit Plummit with her family.

I wasn't, so instead we turned left at the top and headed to Slush Gusher which we all did. It was pretty scary and I was very disconcerted to find out you get some 'air' on the way down - I thought I was flying off! The kids liked it, so they may even have gone on again.

We all really enjoy the family raft ride so we would have done that too - Teamboat Springs is great and one of our favourites, the one at Typhoon Lagoon isn't as good.

We also did the purple slope rides - the toboggan racers, snow stormers and one of my personal favourites - the Downhill Double Dippers!

Plenty of time also spent in the wave pool splashing around.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Lunch today would have been at Lottawatta Lodge, take a guess as to what we had, because I have no idea.

[IMG][/IMG]

I prefer the food options at Typhoon Lagoon personally as I love the smoothies and the tuna sandwiches, but I'm sure I wouldn't have gone hungry lol!

The Things love the Ski Patrol area so much time would have spent here. I also think at this time Grumpy and the boy left me and the girl to play here whilst they went to do Summit Plummit.

In fact they came back having said they had done it 4 times in a row. Considering the boy refuses to even set foot into Tower Of Terror I was somewhat surprised at this. They then spent the next 10 mins or so telling me how brilliant it was, and it wasn't scary, and it was really quiet and they just walked up and back, brilliant, great, too fast to be scary.

At this point I obviously started going into some kind of toxic withdrawal reaction from lack of cocktails as I did actually start to seriously contemplate doing it. I mean, I love rollercoasters, I love swimming, I love flume rides, I had seen many many older, unhealthier people than me making their way up, then down Summit Plummit, coming off laughing, whooping and hollering.

How bad could it be?

"And it's really quiet just now, you'll walk straight on, no time to think of it, it's over so fast, there's no time to be scared, it's brilliant."

[IMG][/IMG]
Summit Plummit

[IMG][/IMG]
Henceforth only to be known as the Terrifying Death Plunge of Death.

The boy went with me, promising to hold my hand on the way up. It was no longer quiet and there was a queue. I started hyperventilating about 3/4 of the way up and had to focus on controlling my bladder. Repeating the mantra of 'look around, older unhealthier people are doing it, your 10 year old can do it, get a grip woman', I stumble walked my way up to the top. The further I got the more I realised this was a very bad idea. I kept grabbing the Boy's hand and bless him, he kept telling me it would all be fine. The only reason I didn't turn around and go back down was because there was a queu behind me and I didn't want the shame.

I should have taken Michael's advice from earlier on in the holiday and just "taken the shame".

After eventually getting to the top, and on the verge of tears I was called forward by the lifeguard. Silently begging him with my eyes to tell me not to bother... I had to go.

It wasn't fun, it wasn't exhilarating, it wasn't life affirming, I got no sense of achievement. I couldn't even scream I was so convinced I was close to death, I just cried silently for my mum all the way down.

Grumpy even recorded it all for posterity

[IMG][/IMG]
until he had to break off filming to comfort his now hysterical wife...

Never again.

Cocktails would have been welcome here, but alas were not forthcoming.

After calming me down we decided to finish off the day with a few more rides. I'm sure they did the lazy river, but I'm not a big fan of it, so I think the Boy and I went and did downhill double dippers again whilst Grumpy and the girl lazed on the river.

We weren't finished though with our attempts to injure/kill ourselves today as we decided to head back round for another go on Runoff Rapids. We had done this earlier on the day and the Things wanted to have a go going down on their own this time, so Grumpy and I shared a ring (fnar fnar).

However on the way down we heard a sudden loud yelp which we knew straight away was the girl who had gone down just ahead of us. This was swiftly followed by an empty single ring bumping past us. Hmm, what could have happened?

We splashed down into the splash pool to find the girl standing in the middle of the pool in tears - she had fallen off midway down and had managed to bump her head again. Plenty of cuddles and hugs on our way out of the pool she calmed down. She had a bit of a bump but was ok otherwise.

We had a little splash again in the big pool before heading to the showers to change and get ready for dinner.

Only to find out at this time that the Boy hadn't brought any shorts to change into. Excellent.

Cue a rather heated, unplanned drive back to OKW to get him some bottom coverage as he had to walk out of Blizzrad Beach with a towel wrapped round his lower regions.

And Grumpy and I were ecstatic with this turn of events as I'm sure you can just imagine, and it was all pixie dust and sweetness and lights in the car.

continued below...

2 Go Mad in Bavaria 2011 - Trip Report Biergarten or Bust 2008 WDW Trip Report
Margarita or Bust - Son of Biergarten 2010 Trip Report

Edited at 03:11 PM.
Ms Finkelstein is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 13, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Ms Finkelstein
Imagineer

Ms Finkelstein's Reviews
Day 15 continued

Unscheduled stop at OKW done with we got the heck out of Dodge and headed over to Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner and our pre dinner meet with our American friends Melissa, her husband Jonas and son Jacob (whom we met up with earlier on in the holiday).

Running a wee bit late (I know, shocker, us late! ) we pulled up to Animal Kingdom Lodge and got all parked up.

[IMG][/IMG]

Texting Melissa we made our way up to the lobby which is just lovely.

[IMG][/IMG]

Melissa and Jonas had been out looking at the animals so they headed back in and we met them just at the stairs. The kids and Jacob got themselves aquainted again, the Boy was wearing his Scotland football top specially as we had got one for Jonas, but he wasn't wearing it tonight.

Unfortunately we didn't have as much time to spend talking to them as we would have liked, but we had about an hour before our ADR so we spent it in the lobby chatting away - they had been at Downtown Disney (I think, maybe it was Magic Kingdom...possibly).

Melissa and Jonas had bought a US soccer top for the Boy so he was delighted, and it was great to talk to them both.

We got some photos, but they only serve as a reminder to never let pre teen children loose with a camera.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

It was a very quick hour and it was over before we knew it really, it was a shame we didn't get a chance to spend more time meeting them. Saying our goodbyes we then headed downstairs to check in for our dinner ADR at Boma.

We didn't have too long to wait before we were seated at our table. No idea who our server was tonight, but as far as I remember he was really nice.

I'm easily pleased though, he promptly brought me my Magical Star, so all was well IMO.

[IMG][/IMG]
Beautiful...

I like the soups here so I got myself all set up.

[IMG][/IMG]

I had a bit of a shock whilst up at the buffet line as I was next to an American mum who was loading her daughter's plate up with all manner of stuff (houmus and such like) whilst saying "I want you to try some of this, and this , and this" whilst her daughter nodded obediently. I turned to look at the boy standing next to me who just looked at me silently shaking his head. Maybe one day houmus and him will be friends.

Not this day.

[IMG][/IMG]
Someone had this plateful.

[IMG][/IMG]
Then this.

[IMG][/IMG]
This would be the boys.

[IMG][/IMG]
Someone also had this.

I remember there being a lot of plates used at our tables, so I do believe we ate more than we photographed lol.

I really enjoy Boma, it isn't Grumpy's favourite, but it always ranks highly with me.

No idea how much this cost, so feel free to make up your own price. Suitably full and tired after our of fun by the water we left Animal Kingdom Lodge and made our way back 'home' to Old key West. Muttering under our breath as we made up the sofa beds (why we didn't just leave them up I have no idea!) I crawled into bed with my glass of rose wine to watch some telly.

What? I hadn't mentioned my previous purchase of some wine at WalMart? I can't imagine how that detail slipped my mind...

Thanks for reading along, hope you enjoyed it!

Di x

Ms Finkelstein is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 13, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BriarRose
Imagineer

Almost 3 years down the line you are doing remarkably well to remember as much as you did!

Can't believe you don't still have all your receipts to detail your costs and remaining credits!

1998,1999,2001,2004 I Drive, 2005,2006 Pop Century, 2007 Newport Bay DLP, 2010, 2012 OKW 2013, 2014, 2015 SSR, 2016 Portofino Bay & IDrive
BriarRose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 13, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Ms Finkelstein
Imagineer

Ms Finkelstein's Reviews
Originally Posted by BriarRose View Post
Almost 3 years down the line you are doing remarkably well to remember as much as you did!

Can't believe you don't still have all your receipts to detail your costs and remaining credits!
I really was struggling! Was it this day you left or the next? I have all the receipts from 2012 still, but none at all from 2010, so unless we took a photo of it I have no idea what we ate lol!

Di x

Old 3 May 13, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Loved this report, especially the humour and glad I'm not the only one in the 'Never Again' club for Summit Plummet - how anyone can find it fun is beyond me !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 May 13, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Ms Finkelstein
Imagineer

Ms Finkelstein's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rollercolster View Post
Loved this report, especially the humour and glad I'm not the only one in the 'Never Again' club for Summit Plummet - how anyone can find it fun is beyond me !
Hi Col!

Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed - I had no real memory of the day so had to go for the laughs lol Summit Plummit is not for me, the exact opposite of fun IMO.

Di x