Notices

Old 29 May 13, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post

cyclops Florida, Better Than Best - August 2013

I've spent so much time reading other people's pre-trip reports, I thought I'd have a go at one of my own! I'm aiming to do a full trip report, but we'll see how that goes...

Background

There are four of us going; me, hubby, son (18) and daughter (15, will be 16 when we go) and believe it or not this is the first holiday we have been on 'just the four of us'. Previous holidays have always included other family members, particularly my mum and dad (great babysitters) and they were with us the last time we were all in Florida, which was 2001.

So here are some photo's of us...

Wow, these pictures come through really big! This one is of James's 18th birthday, taken in our kitchen, before going out for a family meal. It has made me realise there are hardly any photo's of the four of us, so plenty of Florida snapping!

[IMG][/IMG]

Okay, here I am - Jo aged 45, chief organiser of everything. I love planning holidays, the magic of Disney, all things Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings and now The Hobbit. I also make a mean cup cake!

[IMG][/IMG]

Rich, aged 48 and enjoys the Florida experience, but not the sitting on the floor for an hour waiting for Wishes to start! Is happy for me to plan things to ease the 'discomfort'. As you can see, he's a keen angler.

[IMG][/IMG]

James, aged 18 and lover of sport and football in particular. Smart, witty, laid back and great company. Although he's happy to have an all expenses paid trip to the land of the mouse, he can't even think about it yet. Why? Probably something to do with his Magaluf holiday with eleven of his besties in July!

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally, Abby who is nearly 16. A perfectionist, works hard at everything she does and is liked by all. Has done gymnastics since 3 years old an now is a competitive cheerleader. Organises her time between training, school and deciding how to do her hair. Loves all things Disney, Marvel and Harry Potter. Photo was at DLP last year, when it was -7.

[IMG][/IMG]

Well, there we are - a happy band of four.

Why Florida 2013?

As mentioned, when talking about Abby, she is a competitive stunt cheerleader. During Easter 2011, Abby travelled to Florida with her cheer squad to compete in two competitions. Rich and I decided to go and support her (that was the easiest of decisions) but left James with family. We spent most of our 2 weeks wishing we had both children with us, as when we were last in Florida together (2001)they were both so young and would now appreciate things in a different way. Plans were made for 2013 as a last hurrah, James finishing A levels and Abby her GCSE's etc. Picture beneath is from a completion in March.

[IMG][/IMG]

Our Trip

*12th August for 2 weeks (dictated by school term dates and DS part time job)

*Staying at the Rosen Inn, Pointe Orlando - two rooms.

*Booked as a package with Virgin Holidays, including car hire with Alamo

*Things we've bought
Discovery Cove
Universal and IoA -including fast passes at IoA
Kennedy Space Centre
One nights stay at Clearwater Beach
Boggy Creek night trip
All Day Dining Deal at SeaWorld
Quick Queue passes at SeaWorld
Blueman Group
Cirque du Soleil
Baseball - Tampa Bay Rays V New York Yankees

*Things left to buy
Disney Hollywood Studios
Blizzard Beach

Needless to say, I have a plan with each day organised as I don't want to waste time deciding where to go each day. I've also decided where I'd like us to eat, but am happy to go with the flow. If they all want to go to Subway, I'll get one as well - as long as I don't have to cook anything!

I'll put on a more structured day planner a bit later.

I've basically done most of the jobs, including getting caught up in the 'booking the bubble' frenzy! I'm just waiting for my new passport to come through and then I'll do Esta's and API's. For the first time I'll be doing on-line check in (hoping to secure my seats) and also the on-line advance stuff with Alamo.

That's it for now folks, and for whoever reads it, thanks.

Love Jo xxx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 13, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
welovemushu
Very Serious Dibber

Your family, and your trip, look & sound lovely! Hope to read more soon!
Jan
welovemushu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 13, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
LaurenYorkshir
Imagineer

Great start looking forward to more!

LaurenYorkshir is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 13, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post
CazP
Imagineer

Loved reading
Your trip overlaps ours, we go 3-20th
WDW Oct 1991 HoJo DLP June 2001 Cheyenne DLP Santa Fe Feb 2003 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2008 WDW Xmas 2008 CBR DLP Santa Fe Oct 2010 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2012 Ramada Int. Drive Aug 2013 DLP Cheyenne Oct 2014 IDrive & OKW July/August 2016 Oct 2016 Cheyenne DLP Aug 2017 Fairfield Inn July 2018 Newport Bay
CazP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 13, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
kansaskitty
Imagineer

Woo brilliant pre-trippie so far, you go around a week after we get back. You've booked some amazing stuff, what a trip it will be! You have a very beautiful family and I can hear in your descriptions how proud you are of your kids, what a fab mum you must be. You have a brilliant holiday planned for their last hurrah too, my parents took me and my DBF (soon hubby to be!) in 2008, after my A-Levels and before uni, and it really was a fantastic last family holiday as the four of us. (Saying that, we did invite them on our Disneymoon- but they don't want to go in school holidays ever again if they can help it, and we're teachers! So your kids may well still be asking to holiday with you long after their 18th birthdays!)

Looking forward to reading more of what you've planned, seeing a baseball game sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing with us. Already looking forward to the report, ha.

One last thought... I'm Disney mad- reading through, do you only plan to do HS and Blizzard Beach? MK and Epcot are our two favourite parks! Obviously it is different going with teens, I am not a parent and you know your kids best, but just for some food for thought: when we went in 2008 (me aged 18, DBF aged 20) MK and Epcot were our favourite parks, MK for the general Disney-magic and there is just SO much to do and see at Epcot, so I would say please don't discount MK and Epcot just because your kids are teens. I hope that doesn't sound rude and of course you know your family best and have been before! Those are just my two cents, and I'll always rave about Disney magic and Magic Kingdom to anyone who will listen!

KK xx
Old 30 May 13, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by CazP View Post
Loved reading
Your trip overlaps ours, we go 3-20th
It's exciting, isn't it. I'm trying not to wish our 'summer away', but with Abby doing a countdown dance every morning it's hard not too.

Jo xxx
Old 30 May 13, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by kansaskitty View Post
Woo brilliant pre-trippie so far, you go around a week after we get back. You've booked some amazing stuff, what a trip it will be! You have a very beautiful family and I can hear in your descriptions how proud you are of your kids, what a fab mum you must be. You have a brilliant holiday planned for their last hurrah too, my parents took me and my DBF (soon hubby to be!) in 2008, after my A-Levels and before uni, and it really was a fantastic last family holiday as the four of us. (Saying that, we did invite them on our Disneymoon- but they don't want to go in school holidays ever again if they can help it, and we're teachers! So your kids may well still be asking to holiday with you long after their 18th birthdays!)

Looking forward to reading more of what you've planned, seeing a baseball game sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing with us. Already looking forward to the report, ha.

One last thought... I'm Disney mad- reading through, do you only plan to do HS and Blizzard Beach? MK and Epcot are our two favourite parks! Obviously it is different going with teens, I am not a parent and you know your kids best, but just for some food for thought: when we went in 2008 (me aged 18, DBF aged 20) MK and Epcot were our favourite parks, MK for the general Disney-magic and there is just SO much to do and see at Epcot, so I would say please don't discount MK and Epcot just because your kids are teens. I hope that doesn't sound rude and of course you know your family best and have been before! Those are just my two cents, and I'll always rave about Disney magic and Magic Kingdom to anyone who will listen!

KK xx
It was so lovely for you to comment on our trip, I really appreciate your comments. DD and I really love Disney but DH and DS are not as keen and I promised not to book in loads and loads. We each had a day to choose an activity that no one else could veto. our choices were:

Me - Hollywood Studios
DH - Kennedy Space Centre
DS - IoA
DS - Baseball game

We all wanted to do Discovery Cove as we've not done it before and everybody raves about it. DH wanted to do Boggy Creek night trip and I really wanted to see Cirque du Soleil. We were originally going to stay overnight at HRH to get 'fast passes' and early entry to WWoHP, but we have early entry with our Virgin package. As we love the beach and ocean we decided to stay at Clearwater for a night and enjoy Pier 60 and the famous sunset.

DD and I went to DLP for five days in February last year (with some other family) and soaked up the magic.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

We have something else in common, we had a Florida honeymoon in 1991 and my parents came! What are your plans?

Love Jo xxx
Old 31 May 13, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post

A more detailed daily plan

Monday 12th August 2013 - Day 1

We are travelling with Virgin, from Gatwick, departing at 13:05pm. We've got access to the V Room, which is exciting as we've never been in there before. Please share your own experiences, I love to hear them. One of the jobs I haven't done is book airport parking, so must get on to that! Another first for us, is the bubble. Ridiculously, as we've never sat there before, we're super excited about having these seats. I was one of those Dibbers, sat with lap top ready, bang on 8am at our '90 day before departure' date! In Florida, we've got an up-graded 'SUV or similar' booked with Alamo. We're staying at The Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando but have two rooms.

Tuesday 13th August - Day 2

We're going to Denny's for breakfast and then off to one of my favourite places - Walmart, I love it there! We're not taking loads of toiletries this year from the UK, but will buy it in Walmart. Also sun tan lotion, hair straighteners, polystyrene cool box, water sprays and basic food and drink supplies. We'll have some hours by the pool before going to the 5pm showing of Cirque du Soleil, another first. Tea at Raglan Road. A fairly slow paced first day

Wednesday 14th August - Day 3

All day at SeaWorld and we've bought All Day Dining passes and Quick Queue passes. I got a bit worried about the queue times for the Penguins (5-8 hours!) and as I've got an inflammatory arthritis, standing will always be a problem for me.

Thursday 15th August - Day 4

Big day today and not Florida related - it's A Level result day for James. Already arranged for the school to email his results, so it'll be fingers crossed. DS and DD wanted to get shopping in early in the holiday, so it's Premium Outlet Mall and then pool time. Aiming to walk to Bahama Breeze and then play Crazy Golf.

Friday 16th August 2013 - Day 5

Today we're heading for Universal and eating tea at Bubba Gump's before going to watch Blueman Group. Don't laugh, but we're all watching Forest Gump this weekend as the kids have never seen it!

Saturday 17th August 2013 - Day 6

More shopping today at the Florida Mall, followed by lounge time by the pool. Evening takes us to Boggy Creek for their 9pm night trip, bit worried about the bugs! Will decide on the day where to get tea, may be on route to Boggy Creek? Let me know if anyone knows the area and can recommend somewhere.

Sunday 18th August 2013 - Day 7

At last, a Disney Day! I really love Hollywood Studios and Fantasmic is my very favourite evening show. I'll appreciate the sitting down even more this year! This is a recommended day, but still forecast to be busy. I've got a plan all ready to go, which involves sending DD and DS over to get fast passes for Toy Story Mania, while DH and I head for Tower of Terror (remembering I can't walk quickly). Can't wait for this day

Monday 19th August 2013 - Day 8

DH choice of venue today - Kennedy Space Centre. I would have done another Disney day, but I'm not on holiday by myself! Again tea will be decided at the time.

Tuesday 20th August 2013 - Day 9 and Wednesday 21st August - Day 10

We all love the beach and are heading to Clearwater, staying at the Hilton Clearwater Beach Resort. It should be fun as we've only got the one room! I'm really looking forward to these two days as the last time we shared a room, it was in a tent! Eating on the seafront, at Rockaway Grill watching the sun go down - bliss.

Thursday 22nd August 2013 - Day 11

GCSE Results Day for Abby. I can't even begin to tell you how nervous DD will be, she has such high expectations for herself and nothing we can do will calm her down. I'm confident she'll do well

DD decided what to do today - celebrate or cry over her results at her favourite park - Islands of Adventure. I mean Harry Potter and Marvel in the same place, what more could she need?

Friday 23rd August 2013 - Day 12

Blizzard Beach, Down Town Disney and tea at Tony Roma's.

Saturday 24th August 2013 - Day 13

Discovery Cove baby! Never been here and can't wait. Going to Old Town Kissimmee tonight to see the car parade and pick up some food.

Sunday 25th August 2013 - Day 14

Baseball - Tampa Bay Rays v New York Yankees, another first.

Monday 26th August 2013 - Day 15

Last Denny's breakfast, last bit of pool time and then packing Arranged to have a late check out from one of our rooms, so we can shower before heading to the airport.

Well that's it folks, thanks for reading. I've attached some photo's, as a reward for reading all those words!

Rich in California, visiting his brother who lives on Huntington Beach.

[IMG][/IMG]

James loves Heinz tomato sauce.

[IMG][/IMG]

Abby and I in Canterbury last year, we went on a road trip to Kent.

[IMG][/IMG]

I look forward to your comments!

love Jo xxx
Old 31 May 13, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen0705
Imagineer

Helen0705's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
All sounding good !
I can see from your planner you're at HS on the 18th - so are we !
Will say hi if I see you
Helen0705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 13, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Helen0705 View Post
All sounding good !
I can see from your planner you're at HS on the 18th - so are we !
Will say hi if I see you
I'll be the one hobbling around and pretending I'm not exhausted and baking hot!

I love this park, from Little Mermaid to Indiana Jones.

Love Jo xxx