Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
East AND West is Best: Day 7 San Diego Safari Park Zoo

Trip Index here.

Not the best start as the alarm failed to operate on my iPod. We were planning to be on the road at 08:30 as the park opened at 09:00, but we ended up not leaving until 0900!

A pleasant drive through San Diego on the I5 then north on the 163/I15 brought us to the hills north of San Diego and the Safari Park, near to Escondido.

We had previously purchased tickets through Living Social at a 50% discount ($22), and we just presented our printed vouchers and had them exchanged for proper tickets.

Our first impression was how much like Disney it appeared to be – extremely clean, and very helpful and friendly staff.

As we had the African Tram Tour included in the ticket price, we decided to make our way across to the far side of the park to pick up the tram. However, on the way over, we managed to lose our way and came to the balloon ride – this had an offer of $11pp rather than the $20, so as we had the discounted admission we made an executive decision to take a ride. It gave us some great views across the park, some of which are shown in the photos.

Views from the balloon safari

Ride over, we continued across to our tram, getting lost again which seemed to be a common theme for the day! However, we did notice quite a lot of other visitors having to consult the park staff as the signage and map were a little confusing – all part of the fun though. We managed to reach the tram, and it was an interesting ½ hour trip with our knowledgeable guide pointing out animals of interest as well as plants, plus we caught site of a newly born animal on the way round.

Following the tour, we then started to work our way back through the park, stopping for an early lunch before taking in most of the areas.

And seeing this cheeky chap!

This took us through to mid-afternoon, by which time we were feeling the effects of the heat (and possibly altitude! ), so we left the park and headed back to the comforts of Shelter Island. Although we only spent a half day in the park, it was certainly value for money given our discount and an enjoyable time was had.

On arrival back at the hotel, we had a couple of hours under the sun by the pool, before getting ready for dinner. Tonight we decided to eat at the Fiddlers Green at the top of Shelter Island Drive and within a comfortable walk. When we had arrived on Sunday, the place looked packed which we took as being a good sign.

However, it turned out to be deja-vu with our Chevvy’s experience and possibly not the best choice. The server forgot to bring us the included soup but arrived with mains – we decided to forgo the soup rather than risk our mains being kept warm). Both Joanne and Alex had seafood pasta dishes which were “ok” at best but my Terryaki steak was probably the best meal of the night. Only Alex had dessert plus a coffee for myself. We were disappointed with both service and meal, and not a hint of an apology for the oversight on the soup.

With that, we enjoyed the 20 minute stroll back to the hotel for a nightcap and bed.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 13, 05:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

You had such a clear, sunny day at the Safari Park- love those pics from the balloon. I have thought about going up on that but the $20/person cost has kept me on the ground. Did you get the discount on that through Groupon too or was it included in your Safari Park tickets?

Looks like a lovely day, but yeah it does get really hot out there in summer. Sorry to hear about the disappointing dinner. Fiddler's Green has been there for a long time and I've always wondered if it was worth trying- don't think I'll bother with it now. Looking forward to your next report!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 13, 06:27 AM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hi Amy,

The $11 offer was given to us as we entered the park with our car parking ticket.

It was a shame about the meal, but since then we have enjoyed two great meals at the Harbor House at Seaport Village, and tonight at Brigatine in Coronado.

Have to admit we'll be sorry to leave San Diego, but would love to come back to do all of the things we didn't get round to this time.

And now, back to packing those cases...
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 13, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Sounds like a great day! We're unfortunately missing San Diego this time (not enough days to squeeze everything in!) but I'm sure we'll be back!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 13, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Glad to hear you've had some good meals to make up for the other. Those are both great places you went to (esp Brigantine, a fav of mine).

Originally Posted by tonymc View Post
Have to admit we'll be sorry to leave San Diego, but would love to come back to do all of the things we didn't get round to this time.
Sorry you can't stay longer too, but do come back again soon. Enjoy the next phase of your holiday.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 13, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

The Safari Park (not the zoo ) sounds like great value getting the discount tickets for both entrance and the balloon ride.

Pics look great again, really clear.

Shame about dinner again though.
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 13, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Some stunning pictures, shame about the meal, San Diego looks glorious.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 13, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

I read this yesterday and forgot to post - what a great day out - some fab pics and whilst I had heard of the zoo, this was a new one on me . Love the views from the balloon. sounds like you had a really nice day here and at a bargain price. shame service at dinner wasn't so great - you have had a few duff servers so far !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 13, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Fab day at the zoo!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 13, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Originally Posted by princess_chazy View Post
Fab day at the zoo!
Made even better by the 50% discount! However, please be aware that this was the safari park (about 30 mins drive out of San Diego), and not the zoo which is in Balboa Park. Just mentioning as I know you have said you won't be driving when you are over in CA