Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 17 Aug 13, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
hillcats
Excited about Disney

hillcats's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Exclamation Disneyland Paris - disappointing !

Well, to be honest having returned from a short stay in hotel Santa Fe with 4 day park tickets I feel somewhat disappointed by the whole experience!

Hotel Santa Fe - very basic but ok as a sleeping base.
Food - buffet style and was nice. (half board)
On site Staff - always polite and helpful.

People smoking everywhere is not nice for non smokers or children.
When compared to UK it seems acceptable to smoke anywhere and everywhere regardless of children being around

Manners in general seem to be lacking severely as when your bus arrives from your hotel at the park entrance, you can't even get off before everyone tries to pile on... Even to the point that I felt forced to make it known to some people on occasions (despite the language barrier, they would've known I was extremely annoyed with them) that they don't push past / shove my girls out of their way just to get a damn seat on the coach for what is a 10 min journey!

Manners inside the park are no better... With lots of pushing shoving etc.

DLP parks - ok, nowhere near as good as Orlando Florida.
Lots of (now I'm guessing) illegal street sellers right outside the exit that hassle you to buy their crap laid out on the floor whilst shouting out '1 euro 1 euro' and pointing at their junk... and slightly further along their mate wants to draw a cartoon style picture of your child -

My advise now if asked would be to save a little longer and go to USA and avoid DLP as I think it is second rated / cheap imitation of the real thing - will we return = NO !
Old 17 Aug 13, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
hillcats
Excited about Disney

hillcats's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Exclamation Disneyland Paris - disappointing !

Duplicated !

Edited at 09:07 PM.
hillcats is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 13, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
OK, couple of things.

Never use the buses! Santa Fe is a pleasant 15 min stroll along the river and through the Village.

Street sellers - not seen these since Disney bought more of the land outside the station. Disney can't stop them on public land. But tbh they are everywhere tourists go in the UK and Europe. Just ignore them.

Smoking is only supposed to happen in designated areas, but French law means only a police officer can stop you smoking outdoors. It's Brits asuch as anyone, even with children. But it is no worse than walking round a big city in the UK. If it happens in queues, CMs can and do stop it.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 13, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
goodevans
VIP Dibber

goodevans's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Doesn't sound much fun sorry you did not enjoy it

We had noticed a decline each time we went up until our last visit in 2006.

The smoking issues and general bad manners of it's visitors was noticable even back then though.

What a shame as it is so expensive to come away feeling like this

Maybe you and anyone else disappointed should write to its CEO ?

Surely they need to stop the rot now!
Hotel Cheyenne DLP - 1994,Davy Crockett Ranch DLP - 1996 ,AllStars Sports WDW 1997,DL Hotel DLP - 1998,All Stars Movies WDW - 2000,AKL WDW -03,Newport Bay Club DLP - 04,AKL WDW- 06,Sequoia Lodge DLP 06
Fairfield Inn Marriot Village LBV-12

Hawthorn Suites LBV-14, Hotel Cheyenne DLP-17, LBV, RPR, POR-WDW, AMI+Disney Dream '18
goodevans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 13, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I don't disagree with any of your points, but I still think they are lovely parks, and if it wasn't so expensive to get there we would visit more often. We don't use the bus as it's so easy to walk, and I just ignore anyone trying to sell me anything.
Unfortunately, smoking and queuing (or not) are problems all over Europe. We just got back from Holland and we learned very quickly to stand our ground in any queues, as they just don't do it.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 13, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post

Such a shame you didn't enjoy it

My DH felt exactly the same - and said he would never go back either.

We went I 2010 it was freezing and the park was empty.

I looked at my kids faces and instead of being happy with a huge smile on their faces they looked as miserable as sin - So we came home a day early.

I would consider going back - but only if I could stay in the Disneyland Hotel.

Did you do anything outside of the parks?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 13, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
kempydee
Being a bit Goofy

kempydee's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 2
I agree with all your points. We are there next Saturday and I learnt very quickly last year not to use the free shuttle buses in peak season! We are staying off site and getting the train in this time.
I understand you've had a bad experience, but please don't write off DLP altogether. Different times of the year often offer a different (better) experience.
I assume you have to go in school holidays? How about Oct or Feb half terms? They are cold but a lot quieter and the Halloween theming is fantastic!
Perhaps in a couple if months you'll be ready to think about visiting again?!
kempydee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 13, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Closing as you have a duplicate thread running

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 13, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

I agree with you.

We went in 2005 when my oldest was 5 and my youngest in a pram. It was cold and wet.

Although we enjoyed it, it lacked something - didn't have the "magic" and I hated all the smoking and queue jumpers!

We vowed to spend money going to Florida instead.

However, I do understand people can't afford to do Florida and DLP is where they have to go, and I have lots of friends who have been and had a wonderful time.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 13, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
However, I do understand people can't afford to do Florida and DLP is where they have to go, and I have lots of friends who have been and had a wonderful time.
It's always going to be based on personal experience. DLP is nice and close by for cheap flights, and the plus is you can go and see Paris.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List