Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 7 Sep 13, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Hi Sierras Day9 Down by the sea

Awake around 6.30am, sad to be leaving here, so decided to try and drag it out by getting breakfast. 3 options of sit down, room service or take out, so while Neil did the packing I went down and waited for some wheat toast, bagel, sausage and bacon with 2 orange juices (there was a Nespresso machine in the room for coffee). We ate these while looking out over the Golden Gate from the room, it was a tad chilly to go on the balcony.

Anyway all loaded in the car just before 11. I had found out while waiting for breakfast that the toll for the bridge is charged to the car by number plate recognition. It will be interesting to see how much Alamo add to the 2 $6 tolls!

We took Highway 1 pretty much from the start, heading down via Pacifica and Santa Cruz. Here we took a detour to the Mystery Spot, but we should have taken Neils friends advice and booked as there was a 2 hour wait which we just couldn't afford, another for next time. On to Monterey where we stopped for lunch. In our opinion we could have missed this bit out as afterwards we realised it had only got scenic after Monterey.

Here we got out for a wander around Fishermans Wharf and took some photos of the sealions and a few glimpses of otters but no photos. We had a McDonalds for lunch (what a come down after dinner last night! )

Back to the car and we headed towards the 17 mile drive despite sat nag trying to send us other ways. Must admit it was a bit disappointing due to the mistiness but I still took some photos Sat nav now got her own back by directing us via Highway 1 rather than via Carmel, which would have been preferable as I found it quite emotional going through the gates etc. Dad was a very keen golfer as well as following on tv. I couldn't stop thinking how much he would have loved seeing photos and hearing about it all. Anyway this meant we had a little detour through the town but didn't stop due to the time ticking on and there was no parking.

It was still around 2 hours to Cambria for our hotel for the next 2 nights. Another time I think we would either start earlier or break up the drive more as we passed so many places that would have been nice to stop at - Nepenthe Cafe, some national park areas I can't remember the name of and numerous turnouts. It was a lovely drive and although a bit hairy in places, after the Glacier Point road it seemed quite gentle As the sun got lower we were watching out for a turnout to stop and capture the moment, and it seemed that most other cars on the road were looking to do the same. Didn't note where we did stop but quite pleased with my result

We arrived at The Fogcatcher Inn at around 8.30pm. We were so lucky to have been upgraded again to an ocean view room, so close that we could hear the waves. The room was lovely, more homely and cottagy than the sophistication of the Cavallo point but spotlessly clean and with some lovely little touches like binoculars. Again we had a fire in the room which we made use of later. The girl at reception was so friendly and although there is coffee in the room there is always coffee, tea and hot chocolate available in reception which you are encouraged to come and help yourself too.

While Neil unloaded the car I took the receptionists recommendation and walked along 2 or 3 properties to a restaurant called Moonstone Beach Bar and Grill. This was a very good choice and we sat outside in the dark listening to the waves (heaters and blankets provided) Not only was the setting beautiful and romantic (everyone say ahhhh) but the food was delicious too. Neil had seafood pasta, I had the small size steak followed by cheesecake that Neil helped me with.

Back to the hotel and we popped the fire on as it was a little chilly. Neil downloaded his photos while I checked our finances and wrote my diary up while enjoying a hot chocolate. Tomorrow we are going about 5-6 meals back up the PCH to visit Hearst Castle, meanwhile off to sleep listening to the waves.
Old 8 Sep 13, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Sounds lovely, thats a great sunset photo you have. Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 13, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Lovely day Julia x
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 13, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another fabulous day and I love the photo of the sunset

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 13, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mariechez
Imagineer

mariechez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
Awake around 6.30am, sad to be leaving here, so decided to try and drag it out by getting breakfast. 3 options of sit down, room service or take out, so while Neil did the packing I went down and waited for some wheat toast, bagel, sausage and bacon with 2 orange juices (there was a Nespresso machine in the room for coffee). We ate these while looking out over the Golden Gate from the room, it was a tad chilly to go on the balcony.

Anyway all loaded in the car just before 11. I had found out while waiting for breakfast that the toll for the bridge is charged to the car by number plate recognition. It will be interesting to see how much Alamo add to the 2 $6 tolls!

We took Highway 1 pretty much from the start, heading down via Pacifica and Santa Cruz. Here we took a detour to the Mystery Spot, but we should have taken Neils friends advice and booked as there was a 2 hour wait which we just couldn't afford, another for next time. On to Monterey where we stopped for lunch. In our opinion we could have missed this bit out as afterwards we realised it had only got scenic after Monterey.

Here we got out for a wander around Fishermans Wharf and took some photos of the sealions and a few glimpses of otters but no photos. We had a McDonalds for lunch (what a come down after dinner last night! )

Back to the car and we headed towards the 17 mile drive despite sat nag trying to send us other ways. Must admit it was a bit disappointing due to the mistiness but I still took some photos Sat nav now got her own back by directing us via Highway 1 rather than via Carmel, which would have been preferable as I found it quite emotional going through the gates etc. Dad was a very keen golfer as well as following on tv. I couldn't stop thinking how much he would have loved seeing photos and hearing about it all. Anyway this meant we had a little detour through the town but didn't stop due to the time ticking on and there was no parking.

It was still around 2 hours to Cambria for our hotel for the next 2 nights. Another time I think we would either start earlier or break up the drive more as we passed so many places that would have been nice to stop at - Nepenthe Cafe, some national park areas I can't remember the name of and numerous turnouts. It was a lovely drive and although a bit hairy in places, after the Glacier Point road it seemed quite gentle As the sun got lower we were watching out for a turnout to stop and capture the moment, and it seemed that most other cars on the road were looking to do the same. Didn't note where we did stop but quite pleased with my result

We arrived at The Fogcatcher Inn at around 8.30pm. We were so lucky to have been upgraded again to an ocean view room, so close that we could hear the waves. The room was lovely, more homely and cottagy than the sophistication of the Cavallo point but spotlessly clean and with some lovely little touches like binoculars. Again we had a fire in the room which we made use of later. The girl at reception was so friendly and although there is coffee in the room there is always coffee, tea and hot chocolate available in reception which you are encouraged to come and help yourself too.

While Neil unloaded the car I took the receptionists recommendation and walked along 2 or 3 properties to a restaurant called Moonstone Beach Bar and Grill. This was a very good choice and we sat outside in the dark listening to the waves (heaters and blankets provided) Not only was the setting beautiful and romantic (everyone say ahhhh) but the food was delicious too. Neil had seafood pasta, I had the small size steak followed by cheesecake that Neil helped me with.

Back to the hotel and we popped the fire on as it was a little chilly. Neil downloaded his photos while I checked our finances and wrote my diary up while enjoying a hot chocolate. Tomorrow we are going about 5-6 meals back up the PCH to visit Hearst Castle, meanwhile off to sleep listening to the waves.
Sounds lovely, im staying here in a few weeks. Cant wait

ORLANDO 03,04,05x2,07,O8,09,10x2,11x2,12x2,13,14,15,16
LV x2,SAN FRAN & LA,CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN,BALTICS ,FJORDS,BAHAMAS,ITALY,
BARCELONA,FRANCE, PORTUGAL,BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND,BELGUIM,GUERNSEY. NEW YORKx3 & MIAMI
mariechez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 13, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mariechez View Post
Sounds lovely, im staying here in a few weeks. Cant wait
You will love it, but be warned it may be chilly. Definately go to the Moonstone Bar, lovely food and my sweatshirt is so snuggly
Old 14 Sep 13, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
mariechez
Imagineer

mariechez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Originally Posted by parisdisneyfan View Post
You will love it, but be warned it may be chilly. Definately go to the Moonstone Bar, lovely food and my sweatshirt is so snuggly
I prefer it chilly to be honest, will definitely eat at the Moonstone, thanks

ORLANDO 03,04,05x2,07,O8,09,10x2,11x2,12x2,13,14,15,16
LV x2,SAN FRAN & LA,CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN,BALTICS ,FJORDS,BAHAMAS,ITALY,
BARCELONA,FRANCE, PORTUGAL,BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND,BELGUIM,GUERNSEY. NEW YORKx3 & MIAMI
mariechez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List