Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 7 Sep 13, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Hi Sierras Day13 Time to go home or is it?

Our last day but as our flight wasn't until 9.30pm we had almost a whole day still to enjoy.

This time both of us went up to the 14th floor and ate our breakfast up there, discussing our plans. We had checked in online last night and again been lucky enough to get bubble seats, although originally BA had allocated us one upstairs and one downstairs even though there were seats across the aisle from each other! We also had little confusion over what our luggage allowance was the paperwork I had printed out said Business class could have 3 cases weighing up to 32kg each, whereas the OLCI said we could have 3 weighing up to 23kg each! Well ours were 22kg and 26kg! As was the case last year it was Neils tripod that was the heavy item so if necessary we would send the beefy 3kg bit of metal through in a plastic bag on its own again!

Sandi (twentyyears) was in the same hotel as us but at the start of their trip so earlier I had pm'd her and asked if she wanted our coolbox and the drinks/water we weren't going to use. We met up in the foyer and had a quick chat about our trips so far and handed over the stuff. I was really excited about this as I have read many peoples accounts of meeting up but it had never happened to me before Anyway they were planning a lazy day while we were hoping to cram every last minute out of ours.

We then loaded the car, checked out of the hotel and headed to the parks. Peter Pan was first on my list as I wanted to have done it in all the parks I've been too. Actually though I don't know why, as it was so bumpy, in fact Neil asked why I found Indy so bad if I was ok with that! Next up was Roger Rabbit, Storybook canal and Alice in Wonderland. We then went for a sit down and watch Mickeys Magic Map in the theatre which I really enjoyed.

We then headed to try and get another Jungle Cruise in even though it was a 30 minute wait. However this whizzed by as while we were waiting Neils phone beeped! He had a email from BA saying our flight was cancelled No explanation, just further info would follow Well a few deep breaths and tense waiting while he checked it wasn't some malicious scam and then we phoned dd hoping that she would still be awake (was about midnight in the UK) and planned to be home over the weekend as we needed her to collect ds at 7am on Sunday morning after his scout camp in Switzerland. Well she was so that was that sorted. By now it was time to get on the boat and enjoy the ride and jokes (well you know what I mean)

Due to the time we now decided to leave the park and have a proper lunch rather than the snack we had planned. I suggested Bubba Gumps having seen it last time. This was a good choice as the food was lovely. Neil choose a baja shrimp taco. I asked what size the portions were and the waitress said large so I went for an appetiser of mixed chicken, coconut shrimp, fresh shrimp, hush puppies and spinach florentine. Well it was huge even though it wasn't a sharing platter! Anyway my darling husband again helped me out with attempted to clear my plate We had a quick look around the shop but nothing really appealed especially with our potentially overweight bags!

As we left we saw a luggage shop and thought it couldn't hurt to look, even though we thought everything would be pricey. We were wrong though, not bad at all and lots of named brands even though it had the look of a pop up shop. We ended up buying a large wheeled holdall which we would use in the future and would solve our immediate luggage problems.

Another buzz and this time it was an email saying our flight was rescheduled for 7pm tomorrow, arriving at 1.15pm at Heathrow. No phone numbers or any information on how to arrange rooms for the night or who might pay! So we went back to the Sheraton and they were able to give us a room at not too bad a rate. We phoned Alamo who couldn't extend the hire over the phone but put a note on our rental so we would just pay the day extra tomorrow. Finally I emailed our TA to ask him to notify our parking people although I was pretty sure they kept a check on flights. So now we had everything sorted and we crashed for a couple of hours! We were very lucky we had received the email notification as that was all we had and could easily have got to the airport none the wiser if we hadn't bought some extra data allowance for Neils phone!

Well, what do you do with an extra night in Disney especially when you had the foresight to buy 3 day tickets Back to the parks it is then!

This time Fantasmic and the fireworks were top of the list, but first we tried to get into Crushes Turtle Talk but we were 30 seconds too late so did Midway Mania before missing Crush by seconds again! We then headed over to Disneyland to watch Fantasmic. We had thought about buying the dessert package but at $60 each it wasn't going to happen! So we shared a chocolate fudge sundae from the Golden Horseshoe and started a bit of a trend as several couples asked where we had got it from. As last year, I loved seeing Fantasmic on a real lake but I think it is far better in Florida with the seating and equal views. Once Mickey had banished his nightmares we headed to main street for the fireworks which were stunning, Disney certainly know how to put on a show! I loved the Fairy godmothers fighting over blue and pink!

We stopped by Adventureland for a final purchase of a Billabong hoody with a California bear on the front and then it was back to the hotel for our unexpected extra night and to decide how to spend tomorrow!

Edited at 06:03 PM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 13, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Girl after my own heart Julia, don't stop,shopping, buy another price of luggage to put it in.
We had a spare hold all type suitcase and then bought another suitcase as week; we needed a new medium suitcase anyway and we were there for nearly three weeks.

as you say lucky for you re the phone and data, we would have been at the airport!
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 13, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twentyyears View Post
Girl after my own heart Julia, don't stop,shopping, buy another price of luggage to put it in.
We had a spare hold all type suitcase and then bought another suitcase as week; we needed a new medium suitcase anyway and we were there for nearly three weeks.

as you say lucky for you re the phone and data, we would have been at the airport!
I actually feel quite guilty about moaning how the first thing Neil does is sort out the phones but this year it proved not to be the waste of time I usually consider it. Must say although BA have coughed up the compensation in pretty record time, (just over 2 weeks) and it did more than cover what we had to spend and give us a starter pot for next year, however still a bit disgruntled about getting no help re the hotel or car even though we had checked in online. Also we really didn't get any other notifications, there was nothing on our UK phone sims about it when we got home or our home phone answer machine!

Re the case, you would have thought we would have learnt our lesson last year and also on the Florida trips we have done in the past but no. But silver lining is that dd snaffled the new bag as it was just what was on her kit list and actually came in cheaper than the same thing over here on Amazon.

Edited at 03:01 PM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 13, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

I agree re the phones Julia and after what happened on the last day we had to use our phones and the cost for a few phone calls was prohibitive. So hats off to Neil for being prepared.
We go so often we are looking at what we could with a phone over there for apps in. The park and everything. Going to look at it with our USA friend and maybe do with her and pay her!
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 13, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Lucky you got the text and were able to enjoy your extra time, but I know from experience it can be quite stressful.

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 13, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by orlandosgr8 View Post
Lucky you got the text and were able to enjoy your extra time, but I know from experience it can be quite stressful.
It wasn't a text, it was an email so we were really lucky that dh had topped up his data or we wouldn't have known and gone to the airport. Won't moan about him going round phone shops on the first day again!