Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 Sep 13, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Surprise Second Helpings August 2013 Day 4: Epcot & Longhorns

The day before is HERE

Thursday 22 August

Awake at 5.30, marginal improvement on yesterday but still blinking early for a holiday ! Only in Orlando is this acceptable.

Today is not required as a rest day and by bringing Epcot forward, it gives us a rest day at the start of next week which we suspect will be of more benefit - however there is one small problem which is that we have the Behind the Seeds Tour booked for Next Monday so if they cant swop it to today , it looks like a second trip to Epcot is on the cards – ah well, that will have to be a World Showcase day then.

Why Epcot – well, we have already said no MK or AK on this trip and DHS isn’t recommended today so that kind of narrows the options

We are up and out by 0840, today’s car delaying moment was an engine inspection – really ? Now? When we want to be FIRST IN THE QUEUE ?

We see this on the way in – a miracle really as the slightest puff of wind seems to have this grounded

~just a shame I didn’t manage to get it quite in focus

Much to the mirth of the non dibbers, we have another obligatory sign photo

It reckon its a Disney bye law that you must take one everytime you go under ( well , it should be anyway)

We are clearly not going to be alone today

We are parked up by 0900 which is pretty good but of course the park opens slightly earlier (0845?) so by the time we get to some attractions there is already a wait

I think its another byelaw that you have to get a “golfball” shot on every visit as well

The Photopass guy shows the park guest just how to do the actions from Steps greatest hit “Tragedy”

Yesterday’s overwhelming excitement continues

Yes, definitely NOT alone

We have to make a stop at Guest Relations for Andy and I to swop our paper MYW tix for plastic RFID ones – which is all done quickly . I ask about changing the BHTS tour but am told this has to be done in the Land Building.

Choices choices, which to do first , Soarin or Test Track ?

Well, its Test Track first as it was closed when we came last year . Its 0915 and it says it’s a 45 minute wait already – that’s ridiculous. So we breeze through on Single Rider which takes about 10 minutes –

Jamie and Andy get on together

but Connor and I are truly single riders.

I am thrilled to have finally got in it – even if it does mean that I get off with hair that looks like Worzel Gummidge hence no photo (editor’s perk)

Exhilirating way to start the day. Fab.

I leave the chaps looking round the cars

With instructions to get themselves over to Sum of All Thrills while I hotfoot it over to get fastpasses for Soarin.

I get these at 0938 (precisely) with a return time of 1210-1310. The standby time is out at 60 minutes. After some negotiation , I manage to change the tour from Monday to 1030 today which means we should finish around 1145 and be just in time to make use of our fastpasses. This is a result indeed !

I arrive at SOAT at 0950 and it is showing 40 minutes wait time but I can see they are at the front of the queue and will be next in to the design lab.

They are on at 1000 and off at 10.15 so we decide to walk over to the Land Building where I break the news of the tour. The reaction is mildly underwhelming to see the least

On the way back I see the Character Spot meet and greet wait is only 10 minutes but on suggesting it, the boys are firmly in the “no way” camp.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 13, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Behind the Seeds Tour

We check in for the tour and there are only 4 other people joining us. We are greeted by the very enthusiastic Corbett, an intern , who was full of knowledge and super enthusiastic – really excellent

If you don’t like plants – skip this part as there are LOADS of pics

First up – the bit where they talk about pest control - fascinating, good bugs eating the bad bugs.

Into the Greenhouses to meet Stanley – this cool plant that goes from this

To this , when touched

Basically to fool wildlife into not eating it as it looks all shrivelled – the boys thought this was really wicked and keep asking when we can have a Stanley in our house ! Of course, its real name isn't Stanley

We try the cucumber - Connor and Jamie cant believe we are making them eat something even vaguely healthy

The enthusiastic Corbett in action

The lettuces spell Epcot and there is a mickey head being grown underneath

We wanted to try this Pumello fruit but couldn’t find it anywhere

Hidden Mickey

We sat around here and had a quiz on ingredients – trying to identify them by smell or taste and it was good fun watching the boats go past

The boys were fascinated to learn that chocolate really does grow on trees

We got to go the other side of the fish tanks and the alligators - that’s where this tour finishes up

It was great – really very informative and because we had the boys , the guide made it good fun too. A really interesting hour and a half.

A good tip is to do it as early as you can because the greenhouses get incredibly hot as the day wears on !

Edited at 03:14 PM. Reason: part 2 added
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 13, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

We were out around 1145 so decided to just get some crisps, cookies and drinks from Sunshine Seasons and wait to use our Soarin fastpasses at 1215. Its always busy around here but there were still plenty of seats.

Onto Soarin then

Behind us in the queue is a little girl who is crying and screaming ( in that soul piercing shrill scream that only small girls can do) her head off as she doesn’t want to go on – her parents try bribery (you can get an ice cream when you get off), humiliation ( oh you are such a baby, maybe you should be back in nappies), peer pressure ( well So and So went on this and he much younger than you) and threats ( if you don’t quit, we will just go home ) – I really wanted to just lean over and say, she doesn’t want to go on, it’s supposed to be a fun place, you should listen to yourselves but I didn’t and I was just delighted that they ended up in a completely different section to us .

Really – I know sometimes you have to encourage your kids to try things but this was just too much

We have a lovely ride and we scored the top row. It was so lovely to be reminded of the sights and smells of California and as we got off Andy announced that he definitely wants to so some of the West Coast again – at which point I think I may have fallen over in shock. But never one to pass up an opportunity, I picked up a brochure on the way home from work yesterday

We make our way out – I love this section with the sails

Yes , another golf ball shot

Into club cool

We think the Beverly finished him off

We were all a bit hot and tired by now and even though we could have nipped over to Mission Space, we decided to call it a day. Unfortunately Spaceship Earth was closed which is a shame as that’s always a favourite but not to be this time. We also didn’t get to the World Showcase this time either – we thought we might come back another time but it didn’t quite work out.

With perfect timing we arrive at the car just as some rain arrives. We drop the boys at Disney Quest – We agree to collect them at 5pm (they have a mobile if they need us ) and they will get their own lunch .

They just need to remember to pick up one of these for me

Which they did and I totally enjoyed it - I think its my absolute favourite

Andy and I head up the Premium Outlets on IDrive – by now we are both starving and I must admit that makes me a tad grumpy so when our power walk to the food court is interrupted by visits to the Bose store ( where Andy just has to know EVERYTHING about EVERY blasted system in the shop, it would be fair to say that I was something like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	50906

Yes, it’s the “I need food NOW “ head

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	50907

Taking the hint, we make our way to the foodcourt but agree to just get a snack as we want to eat out this evening

Clearly affected by lack of nourishment I made the ropey choice of nachos with cheese that is really just yellow superglue and a cherrycheese Danish which was neither cold , nor hot but just horribly warm from having been sat about for too long and was frankly horrible

Andy chose a chili hotdog which he assured me was delicious but really ?

Nasty

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	50908

Not our finest meal moment

I think this affected our shopping heads – I was really disappointed – especially with Mandarina Duck which is my favourite store – not a lot doing in there and no bling that caught my eye in Ultra Diamonds either – much to Andy’s relief.

Even the Disney outlet looked like the leftovers of the school jumble sale

I did pick up a Lotso Bear for $13 , a couple of scarves and the compulsory magnet with the year on it .

Edited at 03:22 PM.
Old 14 Sep 13, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

We set off at 4.30 to meet the boys who emerge 5 minutes late , blaming the fact they had indeed forgotten the cupcake and not wanting to face this

Name:	pic 4.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	50911

Had decided that being late was the better alternative than being on time and empty handed. Wise choice.

We arrive back home for 5.30 and pack up our overnight bag for our trip to Tampa tomorrow

We set off in search of Applebees – going the wrong way, naturally, and instead end up at Longhorn’s

The warm bread is delicious

Jamie has a hot dog and fries – I think they were eaten before I could take a pic

Connor has rack of ribs and fries and mash

I had the filet with a salad and loaded baked potato

Andy had Ribeye with fries and also ordered the sweet potato with cinnamon sugar so I could try it ( nice but a bit odd and seemingly no pic either )

We shared the dessert sampler – cheesecake, apple pie with ice cream , chocolate brownie

Possibly our best meal of the holiday – fabulous quality, great service, great atmosphere. With a couple of beers and sodas it came to $99 excluding the tip but well worth it

We rolled home suitably stuffed . We are off to Busch and to see the Baseball tomorrow to celebrate Andy’s birthday .

Edited at 03:25 PM.
Old 14 Sep 13, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Oh Amanda, I do so love your reports!
Old 14 Sep 13, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel's Mum
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Fab day Amanda. Glad Connor and Jamie remembered the cupcake The Behind the Seeds tour sounds quite interesting.

Like your style with the California brochure. So when and where are you going exactly

2013 Trippie - Something Old Something New
2011 Trippie Disney & Beyond
2010 Trip Report UNFINISHED

2 weeks WDW '96 ~ Private Villa 2003 ~ Sheraton Village 2005 ~ Sanctuary Westhaven 2006, 2007, 2008 ~ Sarasota 10 days Oct 2008 ~ Windsor Palms 2009 ~ 24 Nights Sabal Harbour Jun 2010 ~ 28 Nights 2011 ~ Watersong/HRH/Rotonda Villa ~ 22 nights Westhaven/CR/AKL/RPR/Rotonda
NOW PLANNING 22 Nights - Orlando/Marco Island
Ariel's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 13, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
ginger ninja
Imagineer

ginger ninja's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Great day, Longhorns looks yummy, it is on our list for next year

ginger ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 13, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

Loved reading this day. The tour looked really good. Will make a note of that.
We love the West cost of Cali too.

@adeandlisadodisney

All of my Trip Reports...Here!
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 13, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
great report
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 13, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Wozi
Imagineer

Sounds like another lovely day, I have to say we had 2 lovely meals at Longhorns and that bread is delish