Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Nov 13, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Irishrover
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 19
Guidebook Reviews: 1
GOLDUSH GATE GADABOUT - Day 16- Juneau and Mushing

Day 16- Juneau & Mushing

Today was Georgias big surprise day.

Early start again, not good for the hangover, but once off the boat into the real fresh air of Alaska I perked up.

Today we were going to a dog mushing camp. Originally we wanted to book the one up the mountain that flys you there by helicopter, but not only was it about three times the price, but id heard of alot of cases where if the weather was too overcast these were often cancelled. I think we made the right decision as today was not the clearest of skys.

So onto the bus we hopped for a 40 min drive through some really strange countryside. We saw a good few deers wandering about and Im sure I saw a bear but have no corroborating witnesses or photos as Paul & Georgia were sitting in front of me. But in my head I did- he was brown and not amazingly big, and looked nothing like pudsey.

Then again, It couldve been a brown rubbish bag I suppose.

As we got closer to the camp the roads became very wiggly and a bit hairy. The girl driving the bus had to radio into the camp to make sure there was nothing coming the other direction as as the tracks were too narrow to pull over at all.

Ooooh we thought we were proper pioneers on an adventure !

Once at the camp we got a glimpse of another party going off...

First of all we had a very informative talk from the young students about how the dogs are looked after. The staff were all fabulous, dedicated to their dogs and lived in little huts up just outve the camp. I was amazed that they all lived seperately and once they get snowed in they can be alone for weeks with only their dogs for company. They were very in synch with the dogs and I have to say the animals were the most healthy and lovely things Ive ever seen. Some of them looked a little like huskys but alot looked like heinz 57 mixed breeds. We were assured they werent , and that they were all bred for their strength and stamina.

They were very much pets also and the girl told us the dogs are 100% trustworthy and can be petted. Georgia got to put the socks on this little guy to stop his feet freezin

Everyone got to have a go at the Mushers coat which was about 3 stone in weight. I couldnt even lift it with my neck & spine problems so they wouldnt let me try it on

Then it was our turn for our ride.

The guy who tok us was brilliant, knew eveything about his dogs, their names/ date of births/ how many races theyd won/ who liked who and which ones didnt work well together.

It really was lovely to hear him talking about them like they were his familly.

We sat on a little sleigh type cart hanging on for dear life as they pulled away

It was AWESOME !

They ran up hills , round bends, turned at junctions , all with one word commands, all pulling together.
They got up to pretty high speeds and remembering they had us chunky three and another even chunkier couple behind us to get up the hills. Couple of times we eneded up on two wheels as we turned the corners which was a bit eeeeeeeeeeek but the guy mushing them just laughed and assured us no one had dropped outve the sledges as yet.

Once up the hills the dogs took a break and got treats and water. The guy let us go and stroke them and they were red hot to the touch, but totally happy and tail wagging. It was really fab.

Back down the hill and we were covered in mud.

Georgia got to pet a new puppy that had been born and the guys told us more stories around a fire while we dried out and warmed up with the help of hot chocolate and cookies.

We have an amazing GO PRO video of the ride but am having trouble getting it on you tube but once its uploaded Ill add it

JUST AMAZING, and anyone who gets a chance to do this DO IT.

Im not a crazy dog lover, I like dogs but after seeing these beautiful strong animals and the guys who devote their lives to them , it was really humbling. Each and everyone of them were graduates and were making a pittance but were the most enriched and genuinely enthusiastic bunch of people we ever met.

Once back into Juneau, we went for some lunch into the infamous Red Dog Saloon.

What a place, you dont know where to look. Cant remember what we ate or drunk but we were in there a good couple of hours and had a fab time. Theres sawdust on the floor , writing on the walls and just WAY too much to look at !

Another MUST VISIT for anyone thinking of doing the cruise.

Great day in juneau, we had a look around the town and noticed quite a few , shall we say locals worse for wear. So although we wouldve liked to try a few more of the local bars, we didnt think it was such a good idea. Bought one or two sounveniers and then back on the boat.
Quiet night, and hot showers all around .

Tommorrow- Ketchikan & the Eagles

Edited at 12:05 PM.
Irishrover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 13, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
oh wow I would love to do that...

and thanks for showing beautiful photos...

Scottishwee35
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 13, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilly80
Imagineer

Sounds wonderful
Golden Triangle Trip Report
Chilly80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 13, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Glad to hear the dogs are treated as pets as well as workers. Living the little boots to stop their feet freezing!
Old 9 Nov 13, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Jools
Imagineer

Fabulous day
Jools is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 13, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
kevbrydon
VIP Dibber

kevbrydon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great day...
Old 30 Nov 13, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
sounds like a fantastic day
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 13, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
disney chic
Imagineer

great read thanks

WDW
2000 Allstar movies, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 Caribbean beach, 2006 Pop century, 2007 Pop century, 2008 Dolphin and Pop century disney wedding, 2010 Grand Floridian, Pop century Fort wilderness campground allstar music , 2011 Allstar movies, 2013 Art of animation 2014 christmas at All star music

Disneyland Paris march 2014
disney chic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 13, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread