Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 9 Nov 13, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Day Ten-Sequoias, Yosemite,Glacier Point, Bishop and the Thunderstorm

Day Ten- Sequioas,Yosemite, Glacier Point, Bishop and the Thunderstorm
Sunday 18th

We didn't really get up til 7 and then DH and I had coffee on the lovely patio in the early morning sunshine, Dibbing a bit on the ipad and checking the football fixtures! . The coffee was available from the breakfast room from 7am, very civilised. We had a nice continental breakfast with cereal, toast, homebaked muffin pieces, spinach and potatoe frittata, melon and juice. This strange lady lays it all out in the little breakfast room where she served the wine the night before;

We then really set off a bit too late as we faffed around for twenty minutes trying to ring DH Mum for a mid trip check in had to text in the end.

As we passed Fish Camp we stopped and bought deli sandwiches for a picnic somewhere in the park.

Fish Camp

So we drove up into Yosemite and the car park for the Mariposa Sequoia grove was full so we had to park in Wawona and take the shuttle. I don't think I was very impressed and DS was clicking away with his new camera;

We walked the 1.3 mile trek up to the grizzly giant and past the fallen tree, they are so beautiful and majestic. It was a bit hot and crowded and it set us back a bit for the day what with the bus and the walk round the trees but we wanted DS to see them;

However we then drove the wonderful drive up to Glacier point and it was worth it for this view:

The light was very grey and overcast so the pictures reflect that, on a sunny day it is glorious up here and you can see for miles, it was a bit of a shame but it is still one of my most favourite views in the world I think. We actually still saw some waterfalls running and hadn't seen that before, show how much rain there had been so late in the summer, they are usually dry by then. We ate our picnic looking out at that view.There were a few “critters” here too:

There is now a formal car park, very crowded it was, and a big shop now with souvenirs and snacks. When we can twenty years ago there was just a dirt car park and some log benches to sit on and a quiet view. I am sure out of July/August it is more peaceful.

We then headed our and up and over the Tioga road and pass, this is such a beautiful and a varied landscape. Tenya Lake , for those of you that are interested like my DH, is where they filmed the Data water scene and the hidden ship scene in Star Trek “Insurrection” film! Just what you needed to know, there you go, hmmmm.

So poor DH had another long drive but at least the scenery is spectacular. It was a relief to get down to Bishop where we had tried to offset all the expense of other “August” priced hotels with a bargain in a “Motel 6” and we were pleasantly surprised.

It is an old motel style building with basic, modern refurbished rooms. The background area behind the hotel is a bit bleak but the reception was clean and the staff were very friendly and lovely; free hot coffee, small pool.

I so wanted a swim but thunder and lightning had been striking all the way in front of us on the drive in and it was raining and hot, a bit like Florida, lol.

So we dumped the cases, it was now 7.10pm, and set out to eat where we had 20 years ago- The Whiskey Creek Inn. It was still going strong and getting good reviews on trip advisor. I still remember the ribs after all these years, there’s something about your first ever stateside trip.

Well, just before we had driven into the motel, there had been a quite big fork to lightning ahead of us at the south of the the town. As we dropped the cases we heard a fire engine. As we then drove down the main high street, two blocks away from out motel we realised the second half of Bishop was in darkness, no power at all to the the restaurants, hotels, traffics lights and street lights.

There were lots of people trying to check into the other hotels and it was obvious all their systems had gone down. I shouldn’t laugh really but it was obvious some had electric sliding doors and people couldn’t get into the hotels as they obviously had no power to work!

We just passed The Whiskey Creek Inn and it was dark so we turned around and the flights came on again and by the time we found the restaurant again they had gone off again. So we had to head back up to the north of town and our end was still all Ok. So it was old KFC from across the road to the motel and it went down a treat; weird no fries here but we had wedges and they came in a huge portion size. Their grilled chicken breast, no coating, is a lovely alternative , with coleslaw. We had drinks from our cooler and had a very cheap day, picnic, KFC and a Motel 6!

As we had come back into the Motel the staff were standing outside looking down to the dark south part of town ans the lady laughed and said “ This is as about as exciting as it gets in Bishop!” We now found out it was probably the sub station that had been hit; remember this power cut, it was not our only one!

I popped out to get some ice as we got back to the room and the sky at the back looking back over the mountains, towards Kings Canyon and Yosemite was fire red;

We didn’t really watch the news whilst we were there, we were on hols and all that, and didn’t realise this was part of the fires that had started raging. The lady said it was the sunset but my niece messaged me on FB the next day and was really worried about us as she knew were in the mountains at some point.

We had decided to set off a bit earlier tomorrow as Death Valley was still expected to get very hot but the main roads that had been flooded were now all OK now, according to the website. We should be able to see the main sites as planned. Slept very well but the blankets were not so nice, cheap as chips but very clean! Night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460.jpg
Views:	1614
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	52256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0459.jpg
Views:	1610
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	52257   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04520.jpg
Views:	1605
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	52258   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04523.jpg
Views:	1621
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	52259   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0162.jpg
Views:	1602
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	52260  

Name:	DSC04524.jpg
Views:	1608
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	52261   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04528.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	52262   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04544.jpg
Views:	1599
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	52263   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04547.jpg
Views:	1605
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	52264   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04550.jpg
Views:	1597
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	52265  

Name:	DSC04565.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	52266   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04561.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	52267   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04536.jpg
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	52268   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04532.jpg
Views:	1596
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	52269   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0189.jpg
Views:	1603
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	52270  

Name:	DSC_0183.jpg
Views:	1603
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	52271   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04615.jpg
Views:	1579
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	52272   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04616.jpg
Views:	1599
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	52273   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0195.jpg
Views:	1608
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	52274   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0198.jpg
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	52275  

Name:	DSC_0171.jpg
Views:	1586
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	52276   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04617.jpg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	52277   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04619.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	52278   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04618.jpg
Views:	1615
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	52279   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04620.jpg
Views:	1596
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	52280  

Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 13, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Lovely day Really wanted to see the Sequoias but didn't manage too Our meal plan went to pieces for our Yosemite day too - maybe something in that high altitude air lol.

I'm webcam stalking Yosemite and Mammoth at the moment, watching the snow, how sad
Old 10 Nov 13, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Thanks for reading Julia.
I love the pics of the snow in the mountains so I shall definitely have a look.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 14, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Wow I would love to visit all those places, it all looks so stunning. Shame you didn't get your meal at the Inn though.

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 14, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Breathtaking views but omg , lightning, power cuts and forest fires ! You can have too much excitement in one day. Just showed your pics to my other half, he was well impressed. Lovely day .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 14, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by orlandosgr8 View Post
Wow I would love to visit all those places, it all looks so stunning. Shame you didn't get your meal at the Inn though.
Thanks Jo, I know, I had been dreaming of the ribs for years
Old 26 Apr 14, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Breathtaking views but omg , lightning, power cuts and forest fires ! You can have too much excitement in one day. Just showed your pics to my other half, he was well impressed. Lovely day .
Just a bit of a day but still great views, just not the perfect end to the perfect day!