General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 Dec 13, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
New York First Timers - Day 2, Big Apple Greeter, Dylans Candy Bar & Toni Di Napoli

Today I woke up at 4.47am! Nightmare! Aaron works shifts at home and is used to changing sleeping patterns so my hopes weren't high for him to wake up early aswell. I pottered around for a bit, had a shower and attempted to get back to sleep. It eventually worked and I woke again at a much more respectable 7.40am!

Aaron was easy to wake as well and we were dressed and ready to head out in no time! This morning’s plan had been to see the Empire State, the Library, Madison Square Garden and Grand Central all before we met our Big Apple Greeter at 10am. As we had already ticked of the first two last night, we had a bit more time to play with so headed off for breakfast. I had read about the Tick Tock diner on a few threads and as it was very close to MSG it seemed like the perfect place to eat.

I decided on the Grand Slam, which was French Toast, Bacon, Ham & eggs. Aaron had the 34st Traffic Jam. These along with 2 orange juices and a coffee came in at $36 + tip. The food was really good and the service was great as well, we got another crazy waitress that kept pretending to get our order wrong but bringing us the correct things anyway.

With a quick few photos of Madison Square Garden taken we headed back to the hotel to layer up a bit before we met our greeter.

It seemed a lot cooler today than the previous evening. We were back at the hotel with 10 minutes to spare. We put on jumpers, hats, scarves, and gloves and headed down to the lobby to find our greeter waiting for us.

Her name was Cyma and she was lovely. She sat down with us in the lobby asking us what we wanted to get out of our visit and explaining the plan for today. Basically to walk around the not so touristy areas of Midtown, visit the Morgan, a museum she volunteers at and then she would leave us at Grand Central Station. All fine with us!

We set off, firstly walking through the Indian district of Midtown. Cyma seemed surprised to know that we enjoyed Indian food, she obviously doesn’t know what us Brits are like! We walked through Madison Square park, stopping to watch the dog park for a while and checking out the Flat Iron Building, although Im gutted that my photos here were over exposed

Edited at 12:03 PM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 13, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
From there we walked to the Private Gramacy park and had a look around the area there! Oh how the other half live .

We popped into the Gramacy park hotel which was fascinating. Very gothic looking in dark colours, with very modern paintings adorning the walls! I have just checked the website and this is the way they explain it ‘The Hotel's 21st century facelift from Oscar-nominated director and artist Julian Schnabel focused on a distinct Renaissance-revival concept incorporating the vivid colors of the era with bold hues on the walls, upholstery and carpets. The furniture was specially imported from markets around the world. The result is an ambiance that is regal, relaxed and ultimately, transporting.’

After this, we went into the National Arts Club, we had to ask permission to be allowed in and Cyma said its 50/50 as to whether they say yes or not. Our luck was in and we headed upstairs! It was very interesting. The walls were floor to ceiling with original portraits of Opera Stars and actors and it was very surreal to be in there! The arts club is housed in the former home of Samuel J. Tilden, a former governor of the U.S. state of New York. It was built in 1845, I would imagine it’s not a place where many tourist get to go.

Next up was another private members club. I can’t recall the name unfortunately and have still come up with zilch after a very thorough Google search! It really must be private! In this building Cyma asked the security guard if we could go up to the second floor as she wanted us to see the library. I think he misunderstood her thinking she meant the first floor just up the steps and so let us past. We were soon in the lift heading up to the next floor.

All the lights were off and we couldn’t see what was there, so back in the lift we went and off up to the third floor! I had a very strong feeling we were now somewhere we maybe shouldn’t be! It looked like a residential hallway. We had been there about 30 seconds when the lift pinged and out came Mr Security! Oopsie!

He said he has given permission to the second floor only and that we had taken advantage of his generosity. Cyma apologised and explained what she was trying to show us. He confirmed that it was back down on the second floor and that he would accompany us back down there and turn on the lights. The lift journey back down was slightly awkward Back on the second floor with the lights on, we could now see cabinet after cabinet of tiny figurines, all placed in the exact formation of various historic battles. It was fscinating! On our way out Cyma tried to give the Security guard a tip but he declined, I have a feeling she may not be allowed back in next time!

Onwards from there we headed around other parts of midtown, looked in a couple of bakeries and then arrived at the Morgan Library and Museum. Here is the websites description, ‘In 1924 J. P. Morgan, Jr. gave his father's extraordinary library to the public. The most influential financier in this country's history, Pierpont Morgan was also a voracious collector. He bought on an astonishing scale, collecting art objects in virtually every medium, including the rare books, manuscripts, drawings, prints, and ancient artifacts that are the core of The Morgan Library & Museum's holdings.’ This is where Cyma volunteers and she was very passionate about the building and its history. Whilst we were there we got to see a first copy of the Declaration of Independence, an original Gutenberg Bible, Beethoven's 9th and hand written letters from Lincoln & Elizabeth 1. The collection there is amazing.

When we’d had a good look around, we headed for lunch in the café, where as a volunteer Cyma managed to get us a discount. The menu was quite upmarket with a lot of people having lobster / afternoon tea but we all chose the burger and it was delicious!

Me and Aaron also had a Diet Coke each and Cyma had a water. The bill came to $55 + tip once the discount was applied and we covered the bill as a thank you to Cyma. It was a very nice place to eat and the service was fabulous.

Our last stop with Cyma with us was Grand Central Station which was one of my must do’s.

You can just see Aaron and Cyma havign a chinwag on the right of the photo!

I loved it, we had a few minutes in there before heading into the food market for a gander! Oooh I could have bought so much in here but I behaved myself and just went for one sticky bun! I forgot to take a photo though! $3 lighter and we were on our way out.

Edited at 12:08 PM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 13, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
We said our goodbyes to Cyma and thanked her for spending time with us. We had bought her a Christmas tin of biscuits from home and Aarons Grandad had also sent her a Diamond Jubilee £5 coin which she seemed very happy with. It was a lovely experience to spend time in New York with a local and I would recommend anyone to try and get a Big Apple Greeter. We really did see things we would never have got the chance to otherwise, even if we did get into a bit of trouble along the way!

Once we had parted ways, we headed back onto Grand Central just to have a bit more time in there. It was 3.30pm by this point so our visit was 5 ½ hours in total!

From here, we headed on uptown to some of the shops I was after. We popped into FAO Schwartz but as with Macys, it was far too busy for me so we headed straight back out. Onwards to Crate & Barrel where we picked up a couple of Christmas decorations & a cocktail strainer ($21). Pottery Barn was next, we bought a Stag salt & pepper set, a woodland creatures place card set and a reindeer wine bottle topper ($63.35) This is still my favourite shop….EVER! Lastly was a shop called Williams Sonoma where we got a cocktail shaker and a spice shaker ($38). Here is a pic of our purchases. I love them all!

We decided Dylan’s Candy Store should be next as we had read about their sweetie themed cocktail bar and fancied trying a few. After getting a bit lost and heading too far uptown, we finally found it. We headed straight up to the bar and grabbed a couple of bar stools. Between us we tried a good array of cocktails! I had a Raspberry Cotton Tini, a flaming Smore’s shot and a Jolly Rancher Cosmo. Aaron had a Papa Rita, a Spiced Red Cherry Manhattan, a Black Death Martini and a Sour Patch Peach Infusion! To be honest, reading those back I’m surprised we made it to dinner!

The bar had a fantastic atmosphere and the staff were really chatty. While we were sat in here drinking our cocktails it started to snow outside! It was a lovely moment and again, I remember thinking just how much I loved New York. Unfortunately the snow didn’t settle or last but at least we saw it through the windows! We lost track of time a bit whilst we were there and realised it was now 7.30pm and that’s what time we had our reservation for at Tony Di Napoli . We paid our bill ($46) which in hindsight seems far too cheap for all we had, and set off for dinner.

We made the walk brisk as I was worried they might give our table away but we arrived just after 7.35pm and were seated within a couple of minutes. The restaurant was very busy so I’m glad we booked. We were soon given some absolutely gorgeous bread and butter and we ordered a pitcher of Sangira to get started. Food wise, we ordered a half plate of Chicken Parmagiana, a half plate of Spaghetti Marinara and a house salad. The food was a long time coming, but the wait staff were run off their feet and we were more than happy to wait, with extra bread of course . When the food did arrive, it was gorgeous! We were like gannets at this point though and it didn’t take us long to devour it!

We really enjoyed our meal here and it would be a must on another trip if we are ever lucky enough to return. We paid our bill, $64 + tip and made our way back out into the cold!

Edited at 12:11 PM.
Old 3 Dec 13, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
We walked back to our hotel via 5th avenue, taking our time to look at the very impressive shop windows. They really are beautiful.

Tiffany's windows

Berghorf windows

We also came across the Rockerfella Center so stood and watched the skaters for a while. The tree was still covered up though

The walk took quite a time and by the time we got back to the hotel I was absolutely frozen! In hindsight, I have no idea why we didn’t grab a taxi for the journey back once I had lost all feeling in my feet but at the time it just didn’t occur to us! Back at the hotel, I had a hot shower and before long we were asleep after what had been a pretty amazing day!

Tomorrow….. Nets Game, Wicked & Juniors

Edited at 12:13 PM.
Old 3 Dec 13, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker's Fluff
Imagineer

This all looks amazing. You are convincing me even more to make plans. If we can deal with the cold, it looks like a really great time to visit.

1997/1998 Quality Inn.2006 Villa.2007&2008Fairfield
2013 LBV Resort and Spa 2015 Sheraton Times Sq.NY.
2016 Barcelo Teguise Beach 2016 Trump Int Toronto
2016 Xmas in NY.2018 LBV Resort And Spa 2019 Croatia Venice and Boston
Beaker's Fluff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 13, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Fantastic photos. If we enjoy our trip next year, (I'm sure we will), we'll have to go back for Christmas.

The stag salt and pepper set is gorgeous.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 13, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by Beaker's Fluff View Post
This all looks amazing. You are convincing me even more to make plans. If we can deal with the cold, it looks like a really great time to visit.
Do it! It was cold but that added to the holiday really, i loved getting to wrap up in all my hats and scarves that rarely get worn otherwise

Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
Fantastic photos. If we enjoy our trip next year, (I'm sure we will), we'll have to go back for Christmas.

The stag salt and pepper set is gorgeous.
Thanks! I also have the rabbit ones for easter, I actually adore Pottery Barn. I need them to franchise over here. Although, then it wouldn't be so special to shop in there!
Old 3 Dec 13, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
Thanks! I also have the rabbit ones for easter, I actually adore Pottery Barn. I need them to franchise over here. Although, then it wouldn't be so special to shop in there!
I'll have to see which ones they do next year. I love Pottery Barn and would love one over here, but as you say it probably wouldn't be as special then.
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 13, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
LaurenYorkshir
Imagineer

What a day ! The Big Apple Greeter sounds fantastic and having spent quite a bit of time studying history and in particular the Gutenberg bible I would love to visit that museum. I love seeing all the familiar landmarks and I am pretty sure I would walk around quoting Home Alone 2 and Ghost Busters the whole time ha ! Those cocktails at Dylans look pretty special . The photos and your descriptions are wonderful !

LaurenYorkshir is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 13, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by LaurenYorkshir View Post
What a day ! The Big Apple Greeter sounds fantastic and having spent quite a bit of time studying history and in particular the Gutenberg bible I would love to visit that museum. I love seeing all the familiar landmarks and I am pretty sure I would walk around quoting Home Alone 2 and Ghost Busters the whole time ha ! Those cocktails at Dylans look pretty special . The photos and your descriptions are wonderful !
Aww thanks!

Yea, the museum was fascinating, especially having our own personal guide who worked there!

We were quoting movies all the time! lol. I do that everywhere though, not just NYC!