Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 28 Mar 14, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

The July/Aug 2013 American Pye Trip Report - Day 14 - Sat 3rd Aug – Magic Kingdom/Epcot/Ohana’s

Trip Index here

Day 13 here

Day 14 – Sat 3rd Aug – Magic Kingdom/Epcot/Ohana’s

So this is it folks, our very last full day I can’t tell you how sad we all felt coming to the end of such a wonderful holiday. We were all so happy and grateful that we’d had such an amazing time but no one wanted to go home. (Adam and I were already discussing the possibility of coming for 3 weeks next time) We were determined though to make the most of our last full day.

Back in 2011 we left the last day free on the itinerary so that we could pick which park we had loved the most and go back there and we’d ended up spending the day at MK. We did the same this year and left the day free but couldn’t decide whether to do MK or Epcot (we’d all enjoyed Epcot so much more this year) so we decided to do both!
So the plan was MK in the morning, monorail over to Epcot then monorail to Polynesian for our 5pm ADR at Ohana’s.

We had a slow morning. We were half packing, half getting ready so it was about 10:30am when we pulled up at MK.
We grabbed this quick photopass pic on the way up Main Street to make up from the one we had on the first day when I had my eyes shut!

It's not the best because the kids are squinting so much because of the sun and Adam has his glasess on but it'll do!

The only thing we definitely wanted to do this morning was go onto Pirates of the Carribean as it had been closed the last couple of times we’d been to MK, so we headed there first. It was a 10min wait which was fine and the ride as fun as ever. The kids had also asked if they could go on Space Mountain again (crazy children!) so Adam went over to get a FP for the afternoon and we had a gentle walk over to Peco Bills for an early lunch (we were planning on stuffing ourselves silly at Ohana’s later so wanted a light, early lunch!) We really like Peco Bills as a QS restaurant. The food is really good and I like how you can have as much salad as you like! Adam and I had tacos full of chilli with lots of salad and cheese and the kids both had a burger meal.

When we’d done we walked over to Tomorrowland and noticed the queue to meet Buzz Lightyear, it wasn’t massive and the kids wanted to meet him so we waited for about 15mins. It was funny because in 2011 Buzz was the last character meet we did on our last full day then too and it was looking the same this year. Buzz was great, really good interaction and loved his very own page in the kids autograph books

We then hopped on the People Mover for a chill out

It was time for Adam and the kids to do SM so off they went.

And I went for a nice wander down Main Street I’d been looking for a t-shirt all holiday for myself and got one of the grey vintage washed out Mickey ones and picked up a couple of gifts for people at home.

Adam and the kids met me at the top of Main Street and we took our last walk down it as we headed for the exit. We all held hands, the four of us in a row, and tried to memorise everything. The sun was shining and it was busy but not too busy. We could smell the lovely sweet popcorn scent wafting out of the shops, hear the lovely Disney music and saw a CM on the corner holding the biggest bunch of Disney balloons we’d ever seen. We walked and talked about how we probably wouldn’t be back for another 4 years (see highs, lows and future plans for why it will be so long – coming soon!) how old we all would be then and what we would do all over again. The kids were saying, ‘bye castle’ and ‘bye main street’ and I had the biggest lump in my throat We all adore Magic Kingdom, it’s such a special place and Main Street just is Disney for us, knowing that we wouldn’t be back for a few years was hard but as we got to the exit, we turned around to take one last look all the way up to the Castle and I couldn’t have been more grateful for the wonderful, magical time we’d had over the last two weeks.

I know Adam is reading this and thinking ‘soppy cow!’ so enough of my sentimental wallowing and onto the monorail and over to Epcot!

As I’ve mentioned before one bonus of getting to a park in the middle of the day is that you don’t have to queue to get in! The entrance of Epcot was empty so after a quick bag search we were in. Walking past Spaceship Earth without going on it is difficult for our children – they love it so! As it was a walk on we agreed to do it one last time. I think this was the 4 time in two weeks that we’d done it and I have to say as much as I like this ride it was starting to lose its appeal at this point. But the kids think it’s amazing and they were happy so that’s what matters.

The only thing that I wanted to do was Soarin (if possible) and A Talk with Crush so we headed over to the Land. Soarin was a 2 hour wait with no FP left so that was out! Back to the seas and it was just a 10min wait for the next Crush show. We’d had some much fun on this each time we’d done it this holiday that it only seemed right we do it on the last day. It was pretty busy this time though so no interaction with us but it was still hysterical and just brilliant!

We had the time to do one last ride and decided on Mission Space as there was no queue. We again landed on Mars successfully

And then it was time to head over to the Poly for our ADR. We made our way over to the exit and stopped for one last Photopass. The photographer asked if we’d had a good day at Epcot and we explained that we’d just been there for the afternoon and that it was our last day. So she had us to smile on the first picture to show what a great holiday we’d had.

And then to show our sad faces because we were going home

Goodbye Epcot from the monorail

We got back on the monorail and were at the Poly for about 4:50pm. We had a little wait because we were early but were seated at 5pm. Adam and I were really looking forward to this meal. I’d read loads of good things on the Dibb about Ohana’s and the excellent food. It was actually an ADR that we’d decided on later than the others when we knew that we wanted somewhere special to have dinner on our last day. It ended up being the most expensive meal of the holiday but probably the best meal of our lives!

We were greeted and taken to our table by a lovely waitress who asked us if we knew what Ohana means and was impressed when I said ‘family’ – you learn so much on the Dibb! We ordered drinks just as a guy started walking around playing the ukulele and singing. It was a lovely atmosphere. After he’d finished playing he asked if anyone in the restaurant was celebrating a birthday and asked those people to go onto the stage and everyone sang happy birthday. Then the kids got to have some fun and had a coconut race! They each had a broom and a coconut and swept it around the restaurant in between tables in a sort of race. We were last getting the brooms so came last but it didn’t matter, everyone was just there to have fun.

By the time we got back to the table the food had started to arrive and after that it just didn’t stop. Here’s what we ate;

Corriander chicken wings, and Mixed Greens with Honey-Lime dressing.

Skewers (prepared over an oak fire): Marinated sirloin steak, Asian BBQ pork loin, Mesquite grilled turkey, and non-peeled shrimp.

Accompaniments: broccoli and green peas and pad Thai noodles.

Sauces: peanut, chimichurri and sweet-and-sour.

Dessert: 'Ohana bread pudding a la mode with Banana Foster sauce

TOTAL - $140 +tip

I cannot begin to describe to you how good that food was. It was like nothing I’ve ever tasted! Even the vegetables were amazing. And it just kept coming and coming and we got offered meat and more meat so many times. And the dessert was just to die for. It was the most unbelievably good food, a lovely restaurant with a brilliant atmosphere. We were all absolutely stuffed – my stomach was actually hurting from being so full but man was it worth it!

We left around 7pm for our last trip back to the Villa from Disney. It actually rained on the way home which fitted my mood perfectly! Back at the villa, we tucked the kids up in bed and started the dreaded packing. I’d done bits over the last couple of days but there was still loads more to do. As I was carrying some stuff upstairs I noticed something scurrying along the floor – it was one of the little lizards that we’d seen so many times on the path outside. It made me jump a mile and I squealed! So loud that Jack woke up and asked what was wrong! Adam caught it with a glass and put it back outside, I think it was more scared of us to be honest and we’d done pretty well not to come across any other insects in the villa over the past 2 weeks!

NEXT: DAY 15 – DTD/DISNEY QUEST/HOME

Edited at 08:50 PM.
SarahJayne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 14, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
thewatsons
Apprentice Imagineer

Great pics
Four Corners 2014 H27
Highlands Reserve 2019 H27
thewatsons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 14, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

Thanks and thanks for reading
Old 29 Mar 14, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Doris1971
Excited about Disney

I have really enjoyed your trip reports. They have brought back so many memories of when we took our kids when they were the same age as yours. I too, have stood at the top of Main St with a lump in my throat, not believing that I had actually made it there.

I actually sat with my now 20 year old daughter the other night, looking through all the scrap books I have made from our trips. Sooo many happy memories. Could have built an extra wing on the house, the amount we have spent going to Disney over the years, lol. But wouldn't have it any other way. Our kids have grown up going to Disney. We have been extremely blessed to be able to do this and it still brings a tear to my eye looking at all the pics.

Kids grow up so quickly, treasure your memories!

Doris
Old 30 Mar 14, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Doris1971 View Post
I have really enjoyed your trip reports. They have brought back so many memories of when we took our kids when they were the same age as yours. I too, have stood at the top of Main St with a lump in my throat, not believing that I had actually made it there.

I actually sat with my now 20 year old daughter the other night, looking through all the scrap books I have made from our trips. Sooo many happy memories. Could have built an extra wing on the house, the amount we have spent going to Disney over the years, lol. But wouldn't have it any other way. Our kids have grown up going to Disney. We have been extremely blessed to be able to do this and it still brings a tear to my eye looking at all the pics.

Kids grow up so quickly, treasure your memories!

Doris
Oh Doris, that put a lump in my throat! What a lovely post!

I'm so glad that reading has brought back so many lovely memories for you and made you think about how blessed we are.

Sometimes I find it's easy to forget when daily life gets on top of me but looking back at our wonderful holiday reminds me all over again

I know what you mean about how much it all costs over the years but I agree, I would much rather have those magical memories than a big house

Thanks so much for reading
Old 30 Mar 14, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
starstruck
VIP Dibber

Just had to say how much I have enjoyed reading your trip report sarah. You really brought a tear to my eye at the end saying goodbye because I know that is what we will be like. Good job my oh is at work because I'd get called a soppy moo too. You've given me some great ideas for this year and I think we will be trying blizzard beach this year. Can you believe all these years we've been going we've never been to bb yet. We also want a day at the beach too and clearwater looks perfect especially the screamer for the dolphin spotting.

Jue
X
1995 - Villa;1996 - Days Inn LBV;1997 - Days Inn LBV;1998 - Days Inn LBV;2000 - Days Inn LBV;2002 - Springhill Suites Marriott Village;2004 - Fairfield Inn MV;2006 - Springhill Suites MV;2011 - Cypress Pointe LBV;2012 - Grand Beach LBV;2014 - Cypress Pointe LBV;2017 - POR + DDP & Grand Beach Resort LBV;2023 Rosen Inn LBV; 2024 Rosen Inn LBV
starstruck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 14, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
Just had to say how much I have enjoyed reading your trip report sarah. You really brought a tear to my eye at the end saying goodbye because I know that is what we will be like. Good job my oh is at work because I'd get called a soppy moo too. You've given me some great ideas for this year and I think we will be trying blizzard beach this year. Can you believe all these years we've been going we've never been to bb yet. We also want a day at the beach too and clearwater looks perfect especially the screamer for the dolphin spotting.

Jue
X
Hi Jue,
Thank you so much for your lovely post. I'm so glad you've enjoyed reading the trip report and it's been helpful too! It's such a labour of love writing one so it's so nice to know people are reading and getting tips from it!
And if you think this day is soppy, wait until you read the going home day - I sobbed like a baby on the plane home! Hahaha!

Blizzard Beach is well worth a visit and seeing the dolphins at Clearwater was a perfect moment.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday
Old 30 Mar 14, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
sandshal
Imagineer

So horrible when the end is insight. Great last day ... Guess its almost time for our second appearance.

Sharon xxx

sandshal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 14, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
SarahJayne
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sandshal View Post
So horrible when the end is insight. Great last day ... Guess its almost time for our second appearance.

Sharon xxx
Yes it is! But be prepared - Day 15 is going to be sad and weepy (apart from your bit obviously! Lol!)
Old 2 May 14, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

we do mk on the last day. went four times in our 3 week holiday last year. lovely day
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List