Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 10 Jul 14, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
axxxl
Imagineer

The Beginning of an Obsession | May 2014 | Day 1 | Travel Day & Boardwalk

No Pre-Trippy from me, so I'll give a little introduction before I crack on. I'm Amy, I'm 21 and from Northumberland. This was both mine and my (then) boyfriend (now fiance) Lewis' first trip to Disney World. We'd been to Disneyland Paris twice back in 2012 (and I'd been 3 times prior) but Florida was just on a totally different level. We started off with a 374 day countdown, and I honestly don't know how everyone put up with me talking about Disney every single day for more than a year. But, I digress. Our trip finally came around and we were both bouncing off the walls!

Day 1 - Travel Day & Boardwalk

We'd travelled down to Manchester Airport and had an overnight stay at Bewley's the night before. It was really nice considering how little we'd paid and I really couldn't fault it. The food in the restaurant was a little pricey, but that's not unlike any other hotel restaurants.

We were up bright and early on the day of our flight on the 6th. I don't think Lewis was too happy dragging him out of bed at what I'm sure was 6AM, but I couldn't wait any longer. I just wanted to get on our way!

We hopped into the shuttle over to our terminal and had a pretty uneventful luggage drop. We chose not to have breakfast in the hotel that morning so after a little look around duty free we settled for some food at Caffe Nero. The food wasn't much to write home about, but I do love a good caramel macchiato.

After we'd finished we browsed the shops some more, and after a little while I started to feel really queasy. I think it was a combination of nerves and overwhelming excitement. I'd only flown on two holidays prior to this one, and I had a really bad experience with my sinuses on my way into Prague last year. Needless to say I was not looking forward to the flight, so I picked up some earplanes, extra hayfever tablets and decongestion tablets to go along with my Sinex. I also bought a bag of Werther's Originals to try and stop my ears from popping. I know I sound over paranoid, but if you've ever had the icepick headache on a flight you'll know exactly why!

Pretty soon after we started boarding and we were on our way to Florida! I don't really have much to say about the flight. It was okay. The plane food didn't appetise me at all but Lewis ate it. I tried watching The Desolation of Smaug but nodded off half way through, waking up towards the end. So I tried to get into Catching Fire, but I just couldn't concentrate. I adore both films, but I like to get comfortable when watching them!

Unfortunately my multitude of tablets and nasal sprays didn't work on the descent, and I started to cry as I could feel the icepick headache coming on. Lewis tried calling for assistance because the "fasten seatbelts" sign was on, but no one came over. In the end he had to go get one of the stewardesses who eventually brought over some olbas oil to help me out. I was so grateful for it and I'll be asking for it on every flight now.

My headache never got to the same extent as it did in Prague (where it lasted 24 hours after landing) so once I was off the plane I was raring to go again. We were however faced with a 1.5hr queue at immigration, and for the life of me I couldn't and still can't understand why it took so long.

When we finally got through we made our way to the Magical Express area to get to our hotel, Caribbean Beach Resort. I'll save you the photos of me looking like I've never slept a wink in my entire life.

One thing I wasn't looking forward too all that much was the heat, but I was taken aback at how nice it was when we got outside! Not a cloud in sight and luckily it was to stay that way for most of the holiday!

We were checked in at CBR straight away and the CM who saw us couldn't have been nicer. He set us up with our Magic Bands, badges (first time and anniversary), hotel info and was generally super helpful.

After check in we were shown to our room (2334) in Martinique, and I think if you plan on staying at CBR this is the place to stay. We had a quiet pool right next to our building and the bus stop was just across the road.

The room was lovely. I was slightly apprehensive about staying here after reading a few questionable reviews on TripAdvisor but I really had nothing to worry about. It served its purpose throughout the two weeks and it was nice having somewhere close to the parks to relax should we get tired.

After freshening up we decided to try and keep ourselves awake by paying The Boardwalk a visit. I have to admit that if it weren't for The Dibb and a friend of mine I wouldn't have known it existed! We thought we'd start the holiday off right and headed to the Boardwalk Bakery to activate our QSDP.

I knew the food portions were going to be huge, but when I asked for the soup to accompany the sandwich I'd ordered I was not expecting a huge bowl and approximately 8 bread rolls! Lewis only went for a bag of crisps with his so he helped me polish it off. And we just had to finish with a strawberry cupcake. My sweet tooth is my downfall, and these cupcakes were amazing.

We were so tired after eating we thought we'd call it a day at 8:30PM and headed back to the room.

I can't remember much after that, so we must have hit the hay pretty quickly. Tomorrow we'll be up early for MK rope drop!

Edited at 09:02 PM.
axxxl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 14, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post

I started to read your trippie because of the title - I know how you feel.
Very easy to get obsessed - and you appear to have a countdown already !

Looks like you had a pretty reasonable start - the 6.00 am start was worth it for the sandwich and cupcake and the sunset..
Looking forward to reading the rest of your trippie. Great pictures

I know the headache you mean and it is just like an icepick ! And the pain coming out of your eyes is the wierdest thing ! Olbas oil is a godsend. It is in really really small bottles so you can take it on board with you and just dab on a tissue for immediate relief. If you can get a stewardess to put a bit in a plastic cup with hot water it works even better - but if seat belt signs are on the straight stuff works well too.

The other option is Karvol - aimed at putting on baby's pillows when they have colds. This is the same stuff but in really small capsules that you just break the top off and use on the go.

Either might be worth getting from Wahlgreens or another chemist while you are over there so that you feel more comfortable for your return flight.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 14, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
axxxl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
I started to read your trippie because of the title - I know how you feel.
Very easy to get obsessed - and you appear to have a countdown already !

Looks like you had a pretty reasonable start - the 6.00 am start was worth it for the sandwich and cupcake and the sunset..
Looking forward to reading the rest of your trippie. Great pictures

I know the headache you mean and it is just like an icepick ! And the pain coming out of your eyes is the wierdest thing ! Olbas oil is a godsend. It is in really really small bottles so you can take it on board with you and just dab on a tissue for immediate relief. If you can get a stewardess to put a bit in a plastic cup with hot water it works even better - but if seat belt signs are on the straight stuff works well too.

The other option is Karvol - aimed at putting on baby's pillows when they have colds. This is the same stuff but in really small capsules that you just break the top off and use on the go.

Either might be worth getting from Wahlgreens or another chemist while you are over there so that you feel more comfortable for your return flight.
Haha yep we booked the week after coming back! I couldn't not go again.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for Karvol as I have pretty permanent sinus problems, particularly when I sleep. Thanks for the recommendations & for reading
Old 10 Jul 14, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Wow your photos are beautiful! Our travel experience was pretty much the same, seriously can't believe it's like two months since our holidays!
Old 10 Jul 14, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
axxxl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mermaids View Post
Wow your photos are beautiful! Our travel experience was pretty much the same, seriously can't believe it's like two months since our holidays!
Thank you! I bought the camera specifically for Florida, couldn't fault it It feels like it's passed so quickly but at the same time it's like it's a lifetime ago!
Old 10 Jul 14, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
LaurenYorkshir
Imagineer

Lovely start to the day That feeling of actually being there after all the waiting is just so amazing ! Looking forward to more !

LaurenYorkshir is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 14, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Yorkie Girl
Imagineer

Yorkie Girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Amy, I'm loving the spoiler for the trip

Great travel day, except the headache Looking forward to reading more
Yorkie Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 14, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Dogwalker
VIP Dibber

Great start
Eek, that headache sounds awful
Lovely photos from the boardwalk
Dogwalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jul 14, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Loving your report so far.
Old 11 Jul 14, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
*Lauren-J*
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Fabby start! Lovely pics! Beautiful couple! Can't wait to read more!

Dec 2009 - 1st WDW Visit for Christmas and New-Year!
Aug 2011 - Treat Trip To with the Taggart's
Jan 2015 - 1st DLP Trip with the Sis
April 2015 - 3rd WDW Trip WE GOT ENGAGED!
*Lauren-J* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List