Imagineer

Mad Mods and Englishmen... Day 1

DAY 1 - Tuesday 19th August 2003

Cast list:

Shaun - 40 something 'If it's not alcoholic I won't drink it'
Alison - 30 something 'If it spins I won't even look at it'
Alexandra - 10 'If it goes upside down I won't ride it'
Laura - 8 'If it's not pizza I won't eat it'

Well, here we go with this years set of trip reports - take them as you find them - just our personal observations etc. Alison and I have done these reports together (Alison's note here….Shaun puts the basic info in and I embellish it a bit, put all the side comments in and change all the bits that he got wrong!)

There were several reasons we went in August this year - initially we weren't going to go abroad at all! We've been planning next years holiday for a while - 3 weeks over Easter, so decided we'd save up and maybe do a bit of work on the house instead this year (I know, I know - how many of you others have said that! LOL) Anyway, once we'd realised that we'd be buying APs next year anyway - so all we needed to do was to buy them a bit earlier (i.e. August this year) then that was a cost we'd allocated to next year. Therefore we only needed to find the money for the flights and the accommodation! Well, as you can see we talked ourselves into that one really quickly! We decided that we'd only do Disney and that we wouldn't hire a car(to save money) and also stay onsite at Disney. (Ahem, what do you mean - you can see how off track we went? )

Alison had to work in the morning so I pottered around packing hand luggage etc and doing some tidying etc until Alison got home about 1pm. Her Dad came to pick us up about 2.30 and we set off for Le Meridien at Gatwick. This which was really nice for us as we usually set off at the crack of dawn and gives me the earliest opportunity to start being grumpy with the kids! - LOL

So after an uneventful trip down the M25 / M23 we arrive at the Le Meridien hotel - and boy is it swanky! - This really is the way to travel although I can't help feeling a bit guilty as we only live about 40 mins away.

We got a Atrium view room up on the 5th Floor and it's MASSIVE! I wanted to call room service for a cat to get a picture to show you just how big it was! It was L-shaped with the girls' 2 single beds in one part and our king size bed in the other part.

"You're spoiling those kids you know" was the comment from Alison's dad - but it's just a case of what we want and the kids have to come along too - unless someone doesn't mind babysitting for a couple of weeks - pretty please!

The next couple of hours was spent touring our playground i.e. Gatwick Airport North & South Terminal via the shuttle - not quite WDW Monorail but it'll do for now. We had a quick swim (and sauna for the adults) in the hotel fitness centre - the pool was about the size of a postage stamp, but we were the only people in there so it didn't matter much!

After much discussion we settled on dinner at Frankie & Bennys - nice food and good service. I had pasta with chicken and pesto, Alison had chicken and ribs, Alexandra had spaghetti carbonara and Laura had…wait for it…..pizza!

Back to the room, but I thought "hey - I'm on holiday!" - so I went down to the bar in the atrium. I asked for a large scotch and ginger but it cost more than a bottle of scotch at Tesco!

The whole place seemed to be geared up for the business traveller with loads of expenses or people that have just won the lottery!

Off to bed earlyish holding a bruised wallet and set the alarm for an early wake-up call.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sharp.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	779  

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 03, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
HolyCow
Apprentice Imagineer

HolyCow's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Nice start to the trip. That room looks massive. Must file that one away for future reference.
Old 5 Sep 03, 06:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Fantasia Sam
Imagineer

Fantasia Sam's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 16
Restaurant Reviews: 55
Now THAT is a great room for UK standards. Shame about the cat though. Didn't stay for that other drink then

22 years, 36 Trips and counting:

DVC - BCV, WLV, BLT, OKW, SSR
WDW - Pop, AoA, CBR, AKL (Club), BC (Club), YC (Club), BWI, GF, Contemporary
Non-Disney - Four Seasons, Swan & Dolphin, Waldorf, Hilton LBV Palace
DCL - Wonder, Magic, Dream, Fantasy
DLP - Sante Fe, Sequoia, DL Hotel
DL - Grand Californian
Universal - Portofino Bay
Fantasia Sam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 03, 06:38 AM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
great room Shaun! Is the Meridien actually attached to the airport then?
more please!...
Old 5 Sep 03, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Mandy,

The hotel is directly attached to the airport by a short covered walkway straight into the North Terminal via the short stay car park.

We had a Family Room that had one Queen size bed and two singles as per the photograph.

Not cheap by any means but a great start to the holiday and the Sauna, Steam room and pool were are big plus.

I think that they also offer combined hotel and car parking facilities but I'm not sure about the cost.

(More reports on the way shortly).

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 03, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post

Like your style Shaun, oh your poor wallet, hope it wasn't to Bruised LOL
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 03, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

We had that room too! (or one of the many others just like it.) Did you remember to shut the curtains to the lobby or did your shirt blind everyone in the rooms opposite?
Old 5 Sep 03, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

LOL Mo! Yes I remembered to shut the curtains!

Don't know how clear this pic will be but you can see that there aren't actually that many rooms of that shape! Not sure if it's just the family rooms.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0748r.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	780  
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 03, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Cool new trippies.

We stayed in the Hilton last year and had a room with a window all the way to the floor. I hit the floor when I walked in to it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 03, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Great start - hurry up with the next part
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List