Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 14 Sep 03, 12:28 AM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Mad Mods and Englishmen - Day 9. Epcot and Typhoon Lagoon (again!)

Day 9 - Wednesday 27th August 2003

Cast list:

Shaun - 40 something 'If it's not alcoholic I won't drink it'
Alison - 30 something 'If it spins I won't even look at it'
Alexandra - 10 'If it goes upside down I'LL LOVE IT!'
Laura - 8 'If it's not pizza I won't eat it'

Previous Drivel

Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6
Day 7
Day 8

Up quite early today as my mouth is as dry as a camel herders jockstrap as my nose is well blocked up and I must have been breathing through my mouth all night.

We roused the troops and head off to Epcot about 8.40 sans breakfast - but Woah there commando's - we can't do a full days activity and every army marches on its stomach you know.

As we passed Crossroads we saw Perkins and decided to pull in for breakfast. This made a real change from the hubub of the buffet breakfasts and was more like real American style and not another Brit in sight!

Alison had 10 zillion pancakes (Alison - ahem! It was a stack of 4! ) and I had a couple of patato and herb pancakes, sausages and a side order of bacon with lashings of coffee. Laura had toast - we'd remembered the trusty jar of Marmite - and Alexandra had the kid's eggs and bacon. I'm not sure what the DDs made of it all, but we enjoyed it all. It came to $22.

We drove to Epcot and boy the car parks are empty but it's as hot as a sauna already and I'm beginning to melt.

We picked up fastpasses for Testrack then went over to the Living Seas. We love this area - but we miss the short ride you used to do!

After a lengthy break in Ice Station Cool we decided to hit the countries around World Showcase. We did the Kidcot Funstop in each country, where the girls made their masks and the CM attached the item from each country to it. I remember when we were here in May 2001, there was a huge queue for each fun stop and it took us about 3 days to get round all the countries - not this time though! Did the whole lot in about 3 hours max!

We finally managed to get the girls on the Norway ride although they were a bit concerned about the backwards drop, but they enjoyed it for what it was.
When the ride finished though, we just cut straight through the theatre and headed out of the exit and avoided the film.

As I went through the shop I was approached by a Norwegian man who was the spitting image of Jean-Paul Gaultier. He sidled up to me and said "Hello, how are you?", "Fine" I said, "Can I interest you in my wares…..", by which time I'd shot out of the door, alarmed but flattered. I later realised that he was a "world renowned perfumier" - their words not mine, who had a concession within the area.

After that brief interruption, we did the rest of the countries - although we didn't stop for any of the films, we watched some of the live entertainment that was going on in a lot of the countries.

Our fastpass time was rapidly approaching so we headed over to Test Track - brilliant again. The girls are real converts!

Feeling a bit peckish we went over to the Land Pavilion to grab some sandwiches. We like eating here because we can all pick different things! Laura chose a tuna baguette (tuna being her second favourite food after pizza), Alexandra had chicken strips and fries, Alison and I had sandwiches and crisps. All very scrummy!

As we looked up through the glass atrium the sky was looking very black and then started to rain. We thought we'd just do Spaceship Earth and see if it was a brief shower. However, it was still raining when we came out - so we decided to head over to Downtown Disney to complete our Disney shopping. This was rapidly completed as the sun came out - we wanted to get into Typhoon Lagoon again!

(This approach works really well for our family - we always have our swimming gear with us in the car, and do the parks till lunchtime-ish and then hit a waterpark.)

We had a couple of hours in TL - surfing the tidal wave/swimming with sharks... etc...etc...etc.

Then it was back to the hotel to get showered and changed for dinner.

After a quick thumb through the list of eateries we hadn't tried before, we decided to check out Race Rock as it had some good reviews. We aren't "petrol heads" by any means, but the themeing of the restaurant was awesome and the exhibits and memorabilia was real assault on the eye.

One thing that I hadn't picked up on was the "rock" element - This was fantastic as whilst we ate we were serenaded by the likes of Boston, Blue Oyster Cult, Rainbow etc - great - bring it on!

The servers were very attentive and dressed up in racing overalls just to add to the themeing and feel.

Oh - I suppose you want to know about the food then? - LOL

Well, the food was fantastic - we started with one of the "Bloomin' Onions", which was quiet enough to feed a family of 4 in it's own right. We just had that as a starter between us all - and we were all too full to enjoy our main courses! LOL Laura had pizza (surprise!) Alexandra had grilled cheese and fries, Alison had cajun shrimp and chicken pasta and I had a cajun chicken sandwich and fries. All delicious! We all had Dr Pepper/Pibb extra to drink and the bill was $38. Good value.

After rolling out of the restaurant we needed to try and work off some of the food so we headed over to Pirates Cove. There was a bit of queue here but it soon went down as we decided to do the "easy" course to give everyone a fighting chance.

So - there was I with a commanding lead on the last hole when Alison teed off - and then got a Hole-in-one! This wouldn't have been so bad except Alexandra and I had had to go and rescue Alison as she had blasted her ball into the car park on the previous hole!

Anyway, the upshot of all of this is that Alison received a token for a free game - life's so unfair!

Back to the hotel to crash at about 11pm.

Brits Count - Hundreds in Pirate's Cove - we could hear the voices all over!
Weather - hot and sunny, briefish shower mid afternoon.
Rain impact - minimal - slightly delayed our TL visit.

Tomorrow's plan - dithering sort of day. We need a lie in!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn0856r.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	798  

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 12:48 AM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 03, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Clarey
Imagineer

Excellent trip reports Alison and Shaun
Clarey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 03, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
mental note... MUST do Race Rock in March!
lol about your friendly norwegian Shaun
Old 14 Sep 03, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Michelle
VIP Dibber
- DIBB Advertiser -

Michelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 8
mmmmmm... that bloomin onion looks lurvly
Thanks for sharing
Old 15 Sep 03, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Flippin' eck the size of that blooming onion.

Nic will want to go there now!

What flavour was the dipping sauce?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 03, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

I think it was 1000 island. There wasn't any choice that was how it came. Mind you, the onion was scrummy enough without the dip!
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 03, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post

Great reports Alison and Shaun
Old 21 Sep 03, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post

Another Thumbs up for Race Rock cafe
Old 16 Oct 03, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post

Wonderful trip report ~ Thanx for sharing.
Old 26 Feb 04, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post

The Bloomin Onions looks delicious .. is it the same as the ones that you get in the Outback .. it sounds and looks like it ..YUMMY

/J