Imagineer

The Hopping Mad Easter Tour - 2004 - Part 18

The Hopping Mad Easter Tour - 2004

Shaun - 40 something ‘If it’s high fat, high sugar I’ll eat it’
Alison - 30 something 'If it’s not Atkins I won’t eat it’
Alexandra - 10 ‘Can we play mini-golf? Can we? Can we? Can we? Can we?’
Laura - 8 'If I’m tall enough I’ll ride it'

Tuesday 13th April 2004

Up with alarm today at 7:15am – our alarm, no noise from next door!

Showered, breakfasted and out of the door by 8:30 and we decided to go to Busch Gardens even though it is overcast with a little drizzle in the air. A pleasant and easy drive towards Tampa and arrived at about 9.45. The main noticeable change from our last trip here in 2001 is that the car park has been covered in tarmac at long last.

As we approached the turnstiles we looked on in horror as we saw the signs saying that Montu and Skyride are both shut – I don’t believe it! Montu - the best ride in Florida is down! – How could they do this to me? -

Oh well, perhaps other rides and attractions will make up for it. We entered and dashed over to Rhino Rally full of expectation as last time it was either broken or a 2 hour wait. Would you believe it? Only half the ride is working with no water sequence due to "technical difficulties" – Grrrr – not the best advert in the world for Land Rover!

We decided to come back later in the day to see if they’d managed to fix it.

This is not the start I was looking for so we head off over to Kumba and Scorpionto see if they are running.
Scorpion – Oh the memories – This was Laura’s first looping coaster when she was just 5 and a good intro to the big stuff.It’s just a bit strange riding a looping coaster with just a lap bar!
Kumba – This is much better that I remembered and previously gave it credit for. Ok, so no dangling feet but lots of twists and loops.
Stanley falls – very nice log flume ride with a couple of drops. I did feel sorry for the poor bored CM’s in the safety towers though.

Then we headed over to Gwazi and as we checked our bags into the lockers we bumped into the Hunts! They didn’t come yesterday after all due to the rain and onr of the kids feeling poorly – deep joy especially as Bob had one of his stories to relate.

The Hunts had gone to a Red Lobster for an evening meal but found the car park very full. They spotted a shallow sandy bank and as they had a Jeep they parked up and had a meal. When they came out the Jeep was at a 45 degree angle with the back wheels half buried! Bob thought that getting the Jeep out would be a doddle but it wouldn’t budge! An American man came out, shook his head and offered assistance. He took out a Tow Rope and asked Bob where the Towing bar was. Bob looked in the manual which stated " Tow bar is located in (place) where fitted" – of course there wasn’t one! Not being put off they tied one end to the front axle and the other end to the man’s massive Winnebago (sp). In order to pull Bobs car the Winnebago had the car park entrance blocked off but the man just ignored the honking horns much to everyone’s annoyance. That plan of action was soon given up and the man said " Did you have a Dune Buggy when you were young?", "Not much call for that sort of thing in South London mate" was Bob’s reply. The man explained that the tyres had to be deflated to about 5lbs PSI. This done Bob managed to drive off the sand and was very grateful for the advice. He offered the man some cash but he wouldn’t have any of it. Bob crawled down the road with hazard lights until they found a Service Station and re-pumped up the tyres. However, the tyres now had two grooves ground in them from the rims! Hopefully the rental people wouldn’t notice!
Interlude over and back to the parks!

Bob's view of the Jeep? - "All fur coat and no knickers!" -

Gwazi – great to have a decent wooden coaster but boy is it jerky.

We split up for lunch as they’d bought food with them so we ate at Desert Grill Restaurant .
1 x ½ rack of ribs
1 x meatball sub
2 x kids Hot dog Meals
2 x Large drinks
Total cost $30 with AP holder discount.

We went back to Rhino Rally but it was still only part working but we decide to ride it anyway. Alexandra was delighted as see was chosen to be the "navigator" for the duration of the ride, looking out for the directional signs etc. Overall the ride was very disappointing but so far we can’t really compare it until we’ve done the full ride. Oh well, something else to come back for! – LOL

We met back up with the Hunts and went on various rides together including: -

Scorpion
Python – I remember this being the big ride of the park back in the 80’s with a double corkscrew but how times have changed!
Kumba
Tanganyika tidal wave

(Don’t know who the guy was in front of our kids in this picture!)

We re did a few more rides around the park and then as it was getting dark we decided to call it a day. As we approached the entrance I noticed that Montu was working!
That just about made my day! Just love it! Unfortunately Laura wasn’t tall enough - but Alexandra loved it! There’s nothing better than a "leg dangling" ride!

We left at about 7:45 and the troops were getting peckish so we looked around for a place to eat locally when I spotted Olive Garden nearby. As this had some good reviews we decided to give it a go and were really pleased that we did.

The service, food and ambience was superb – I can’t recommend this place highly enough and it found it quite "upscale".

We ate: -

Laura: Kids Pizza (massive!)
Alexandra: Chicken strips and fries
Alison: Shrimp Primavera (no pasta)
Me: Medallions of beef with Gorgonzola on fettuccini
4 x soft drinks
1 x glass of Shiraz (wine pairing)
Also came with hot baguettes and huge bowl of Caesar salad with croutons, black olives and fresh parmesan cheese!
1 coffee
1 espresso

Total cost $58

This was THE best meal for quality and service during the entire trip.

Drove with no delays (must have missed the rush through the roadworks) back to the villa, arriving about 11pm. Put the girls straight to bed, then we did most of the packing before crashing out ourselves.

Weather Dodgy start but brighter and warmer as the day progressed.

Plan for tomorrow Leave villa and check into Royal Pacific Hotel and IOA.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 11:57 PM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 04, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Another great trip Shaun

Olive Garden is my favourite restaurant (so far ) & thanks for the detailed info on Busch Gardens will be giving that a go for the first time in Sept - cant wait

You certainly got about a bit on your hols - do you prefer doing that to staying in one place & if you dont mind me asking, does this work out to be alot more expensive?

Jen
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 04, 07:19 AM  
Link to this Post

A great start to my day again - Thank you.

I have added The Olive Garden to my growing list of places to eat.

I really am enjoying your holiday.
Old 14 May 04, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Never been to Olive Garden, thats another for Feb then.
lol about the Jeep incident Jamie always says they arent great off road vehicles at the best of times, never mind in sand!
Old 14 May 04, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post

Glad to hear that the Olive Garden still offers the Hot Garlic Baggettes. You tend to pig out on them, and have no room for your main meal... ah what memories. Heather
Old 14 May 04, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

I look forward to the trip report each day ! and the Hunts stories OMG !

Like the sound of the Olive Garden..we are staying at Clearwater and going to Busch twice ( boys fave park and have annual pass) where abouts to the ebtrance was the Olive garden ?

Thanks

Denise
Old 14 May 04, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mike
Imagineer

The main noticeable change from our last trip here in 2001 is that the car park has been covered in tarmac at long last.
...that was my first (bad) impression of Busch in 2001, and felt it was cheap-end compared to WDW. Think I'd have been very annoyed at the 3 big rides being down, or reduced,a s Rhino was. ... I keep thinking I should go back and give BG another chance to impress me, and may do so when we're at the coast next year, but I'll be hopping if the main attractions are not available!

What's your mate Bob like? ... please let us know if they are going again, and we can either (a) make sure we stay well clear, or, (b) take lots of video tapes and stalk them for the £250s from 'You've been framed!'!

Nice pic of Tidal wave.. different viewpoint than the 'normal' shots:

..IOA tomorrow! Yes!

Thanks again, both of you... these are a great read!

Mike
Mike is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 04, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

Denise,

It's here: -

2801 East Busch Boulevard on Highway 580 (between I 75 and I 275)

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 10:20 PM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 04, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

The Hunts holiday sounds a bit like the Griswalds in National Lampoon's European Vacation.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List