BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
"Party of 12 please" Day 8, New Jersey has arrived...

Saturday, 30 October

We didn't have any big plans for today, so we woke late and took things easy. I was reading a scrapbooking book which talked about photo shoots and decided the light in the window was perfect, so took a few shots of Molly while Katie and Phil went for a swim.

I haven't quite mastered the natural light technique, the light side is lovely but the other side has strong shadows - I think I need someone standing there with a reflective board, which is hardly spontaneous photography.

Photo shoot over, Molly and I went out to join them in the pool and do some laundry.

Those of you with kids may be interested to see these life jackets which they have available for the kids to borrow. They worked great for Molly, but they are quite rigid and Katie found it difficult to move in hers, so she stuck with her armbands - still it was nice to see they had something there if you hadn't brought your own.

we seem to have had a few Molly shots, so in the interest of family harmony, here's one of Katie.

These characters are on the side of the pool, and there is a fountain running over them.

After the laundry was dry, and the swim was over, we got ready and headed to Magic Kingdom because we had a photograph that we wanted to collect from earlier in the week. We went to collect our photos and then had lunch in Cosmic Rays. After lunch, we walked through the park, which was very very crowded - apparantly all of New Jersey had arrived in Orlando that week, and it was apparant in the park. We ended up in Adventureland and Katie decided she wanted a ride on Aladdins Carpet. We'd never done that before, so we waited about 15 minutes to ride it, which I didn't think was too bad, and then off we went. Given that it was quite busy, I was suprised that we got our own carpet - I would have expected them to fill the cars full so that they could more the ride faster.
After the ride, I spotted the Citrus Swirl stand and since this has been on my list of 'must do's' for quite some time, we decided to try one. They are really yummy - put it on your list of must-do's. We walked through a little gap here into Frontierland - I have never spotted this little cut through before, but it was very handy. It was right next to a pin shop, so we went in to look for Pocahontas pins. Pocahontas is Katie's favorite disney movie, and there is not a lot of merchandise available for it, which is strange considering how much merchandise there is for everything else. Again we could only find the one pin that we already owned, so frustrated we asked a CM if there were any other Pocahontas pins, and she found a book and checked. There are only 3 pochahontas pins according to her book (which is odd, as we own already at least 2 which were not in her book but we did get those at Disneyland Paris, so that may be why.)

We headed off round to Main Street to watch the parade, and found a perfect spot right at the end near the roundabout.
When the parade started we realised why noone else was standing there - 3 CMs who were controlling the parade were standing right in front of us. Fortunately, we were able to see, but it was a bit distracting as they were on their walkie talkies directing things.
All of a sudden the CMs took of down the road and tackled a small child who had wandered off the curb, under a rope and into the path of the float. It was quite impressive to see how quickly they responded, the parade stopped and the child was removed very quickly and only when they were sure he was out of harms way did they restart the parade. It wasn't stopped very long, and I'm sure most people didn't realise there had been an incident, but if they hadn't reacted as quickly as they had it could have been quite nasty.
After the parade ended, we got chatting to the CM who had seen the boy, and noticed that she had a Meeko pin - not one that was in the 'book' so the book was looking like a less authorative source all the time. Anyway, we really wanted the pin, but we didn't have our lanyards on to trade, so Phil dashed into the nearest shop and bought the first pin he came too. When we swapped her for Meeko, she told us that the Meeko pin was a Cast Member exclusive, so maybe that is why it wasn't in the book? We aren't really big pin traders, we just look for Pocahontas stuff, but we were quite excited to find Meeko. We also found a Meeko beanie at some point in the trip, Im not sure which day it was, but that was quite an exciting find too.

After the parade, we decided that it was just too busy and it was very hot, so we gave up on Magic Kingdom and headed back to the room for a nap.

Later on in the evening we went out to Walmart and had our digital camera card copied to a CD - that was quite easy and painless, it cost about $4 and took an hour.
What was not easy or painless was leaving Walmart - it was the night before halloween and every person in Orlando was at Walmart buying candy and halloween costumes, I think it's the first time I've really seen Walmart busy.

Bev

At this point I have just turned the page in my notebook and found this note from Katie
thank you for planing the hollday it was grat to go I hop we go agen
Love Katie
xxxoooxxxoooo

Aww... isn't she sweet.

Edited at 08:39 PM.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 04, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mike
Imagineer

..awww! Sweet! She should be ok... there's not much chance of you not going again I suppose?

I get the impression that you are all cruising through what you want to do, without feeling the pressure of those first trips when you feel obliged to squeeze everything in... I love feeling in control and relaxed!

Mike
Mike is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 04, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I get the impression that you are all cruising through what you want to do, without feeling the pressure of those first trips when you feel obliged to squeeze everything in... I love feeling in control and relaxed!
that pretty much sums it up - we had all been before, and we knew which things we wanted to do and which things weren't that important, so we had a MUCH more relaxed attitude than previous years. In fact, if you were to make a list of things to do, we would have ticked off very few - but we know we will go back either next year or the year after, so there was no pressure to "do" everything, just to have a good time - which we did.

Bev
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 04, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post

The enchanted forest by the Tea Cup Ride serves great strawberry swirls. Sounds like you had a great day doing nothing, just catching your breath. Heather
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 04, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

Good news about the Meeko pin - you'll just have to keep on returning until you get more Pocohontas things!
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 04, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
mmmmm love those citrus swirls!
Old 7 Dec 04, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post

What a sweet note from Katie
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List