Imagineer

Probably the most boring trip report in the world... ever. Part 3

CAST

Shannon - 8 - I just want to be a Princess
Dale - 15 - I'm not really that bothered about going
Martin - 40 - Things dont need planning they just happen
Sarah - 38 - Chief planner and peacemaker

30th Dec. 2004

We had breakfast at the hotel this morning. Martin took the kids downstairs while I tidied up a bit. Is it just us who are messy or does everybodies hotel room look like a bombs hit it after just a couple of days. Coupons, maps, bags, clothes and coats, etc strewn all over. I had to tidy up a bit before the maid came in. I dont suppose all living in one room helps. I then tried to do something with my hair - at home this takes minutes but on holiday it was a real pain. I took my straightners but within a couple of hours of doing it it just looked worse than ever so in the end I ended up just covering it up with a cap)
I joined the others downstairs and couldn't believe the waste. Why is it my kids seem to think 'eat all you want' means 'waste all you can'?
I finally found out that the nearest Walmart was actually only about 5 minutes away on US27 so we decided to go there first. I was very wary about using the US27 after what had happened to the family the week before we went and hearing that it is a blackspot for tourists.
When we arrived I completely lost Martin, he was like a kid in a sweet shop. Dale was shocked to see guns on sale in a supermarket and once we got to the gameboys we lost him as well. I asked about the new DS's but they hadn't got any in stock and then I took our memory card to get it uploaded to CD. 298 images for $2.82. I picked up some bottles of water for the parks, biscuits, crisps and more tapes for the camcorder. Dale and Shannon wanted to buy an SP each and Dale wanted some Yu-Gi-Oh stuff (is he really 15? ). It was their own money and I told him he could waste it on what he wanted, sorry I mean spend it on what he liked.
Somehow as we left Walmart we missed our turning and ended up miles down the US27. It took us ages to get all the way back but we eventually found our way to I. Drive for a helicopter ride. We went to the place next to Race Rock and had a 10 min. wait for our flight. The helicopters only take 3 passengers so Shannon went with Martin and I went with Dale. I had never been up in a helicopter before and loved every minute of it. We did the most popular flight and saw the parks (except MK of course, such a shame you cant fly over there), the resorts, etc. Funny how the road layouts seem so much more uncomplicated from up there. I couldn't understand how anybody could get lost
We did a bit of shopping on I. Drive partly because Martin wanted to look in the tattoo shops. Shannon started showing off and I carried her kicking and screaming to the car... my kids sometimes really show me up.
Of course by now it was too late to have a look around the resorts like I wanted to so we decided on a very quick look at Downtown Disney. I spotted World Of Disney and we got no further. Martin went a very perculiar colour as Shannon and myself oohhed and aahhed as we flitted from one thing to another with an ever growing list of what we HAD to get. Luckily for him the queues were massive and he looked quite relieved when I said we'd just have to go back another day. I cant think why
We then had to find Wilderness Lodge. Guess what - we got to MK okay and then got lost. I do think that once you get that far there aren't enough signs giving directions. I think it was Fort Wilderness we ended up going to for directions.
Wilderness Lodge is a really beautiful hotel, I couldn't believe it when Martin told me the camera batteries had run out. Shannon found another pin cart in the lobby and bought a lanyard and another pin and then it was time for our sleigh ride.
For us, this was the biggest dissapointment of the holiday. I had been really looking forwards to it. I dont suppose it was helped by the kids bickering AGAIN but I suppose like us, once they had lost sight of the hotel lights and had seen nothing but dark and trees for 10 mins, they got a bit bored. We did have a conversation with the lady about the trees that had been damaged during the hurricanes but that was about it. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you went down to the villas (or whatever they are) at the back and some of them were normally decorated for Xmas. But we only got close enough to see a few lights in the distance
Also the 'sleigh' wasn't decorated as much as I thought it would be and I suppose that somehow a 'sleigh ride' when you have been baking all day at 75f seems slightly strange. In fact the whole idea of Xmas, while we were over there, was surreal. It was so strange being so hot and hearing Xmas songs in the parks.
When we got back to the lodge we still had half an hour to spare before our PS in Whispering Canyons so we decided to climb the stairs to the top and have a look down on to the lobby and giant Xmas tree. I don't envy them the job of decorating that
We then checked in at the podium and were given a pager, so we relaxed and watched the activity in the restaurant. Two women were having their birthdays and their server made them stand up and sing happy birthday to themselves. The other diners said they weren't loud enough so they got sent into the lobby on wooden horses to run around the Xmas tree and sing it again. We all thought this was hilarious but I did start to wonder what we had let ourselves in for.
The food here is fantastic, Jeffro (I did wonder if that was his real name) brought a salad over and told Martin to share it with the 'good wife' to earn brownie points with a wink. Martin had the All u can eat skillet - chicken, rack of pork, beef, sausages and corn on the cob (which was promptly refilled), I had a penne and Chicken dish, Dale had Chicken with apple sauce and mash, wine, refillable coke and chocolate shakes (why can't they do that with the wine as well ). Shannon, of course, had a bit of everybodies.
Our food, unfortunately, arrived on the hour, just as they got all the kids up to ride wooden horses around the restaurant. The rules being that they couldn't run, big kids couldn't knock little kids over but little kids could knock big kids over. Dale insisted he wasn't joining in so he had to join the adults in swinging napkins round their heads and 'yeehar'ing. We were told that if we didn't join in the penalty would be having to join in the adults ride 5 mins. later. After what we had seen earlier we weren't prepared to take the risk so we joined in. Afterwards the kids were told they had to take an oath and then they would get a prize. This involved promising that they wouldn't go to bed when told and would NEVER EVER EVER visit Universal Studios. The prize was a certificate and Shannon returned to the table with a look of disgust on her face (my kids can be so ungrateful ). She then got even more upset when Dale told her that she couldn't go to Universal and see the Cat in the Hat because she had promised not to. KIDS!
A lot more happened during this meal but I dont want to completely ruin it for people who haven't been yet. This was another of our favourite meals and it is so nice to go somewhere that is fun and where the kids dont have to sit down all the time and can really enjoy themselves.
We were all tired by now and knew we had to be up early the next day for Epcot so we had a cruise down I.Drive, back to our hotel, baths and bed.
Indian Creek Villa
October 7th - October 28th 2006
3 weeks in Heaven
Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 05, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
janeywaney
VIP Dibber

janeywaney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Well Sarah you certainly managed to pack it in today! Glad you enjoyed whispering canyons it is one place that we will be trying out in March.
Jane
August 06 All Star Sports, August 07 All Star Music, OKW August 08 OKW Nov 09 All Star Music Feb 10, OKW Sept 10 OKW Sept 2011 , OKW Nov 2013, Pop Cenury Sept 2014, OKW Sept 2015, OKW Nov 16, OKW Sept 17, OKW Aug 19
janeywaney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 05, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post

We are hoping to go to Whispering Canyon...my girls are exhibitionists when they get going so it should be fun!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 05, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post

another great report
Leann x
Old 16 Jan 05, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
donnakirby
Apprentice Imagineer

donnakirby's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
love your reports - the helicopter ride did your dd like it too - how much roughly is it and how long did it last - did you have to book in advance

thanks
Old 16 Jan 05, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Dizzy
Imagineer

Whispering Canyons is great and definately somewhere we want to eat again next time we go.

Donna, we all loved the helicopter ride, we didn't need to book although I dont know how busy it is in summer. It lasted about 15 - 20 mins. I found this web site for you, it should tell you on there if you can book. Enjoy it.

airfloridahelicopters/orlando.html

We did tour 5.

Sarah
Indian Creek Villa
October 7th - October 28th 2006
3 weeks in Heaven
Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 05, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Another great day Sarah. Very brave of you doing the helicopter ride - those helicopters looked too small for me! Sam wanted to go and so did the kids but they wouldnt do it without me! I have just told Sam only 3 could do it at once so we have to go back for them to go for a flight! Trying every angle possible to get us back there!

Very brave also to go to Whispering Canyon - This sounds like my worst nightmare!
Old 16 Jan 05, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
REH
Imagineer

A fun packed day!
Old 17 Jan 05, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post

All this is making me want to go and book some flights quick
Old 17 Jan 05, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post

You certainly managed to fit in plenty on that day! Sounds like everyone is having a great time too. Great trippies, can't wait for more.