Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 27 Feb 05, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Dizzy
Imagineer

Probably the most boring trip report in the world... ever. Part 10. Busch Gardens

Part 10- Busch Gardens

CAST
Shannon - 8 - I want to be a princess
Dale - 15 - I'm not that bothered about going
Martin (DH) - 40 - Things don’t need planning they just happen
Sarah (ME) - 38 - Chief organizer and peacemaker

When the alarm went off I buried my head under my pillow. I was tired and didn’t really want to leave this lovely place yet, one night really wasn’t long enough. We had a cup of coffee on the balcony with these two for company

We watched other early risers in the pool and the sea lapping on the beach, emptied the bathroom of all the little bottles and sachets and said goodbye to Clearwater (until next time), grabbing some nibbles to eat on the way.
We found Busch Gardens easily and went straight to the Adventure Tours shop just inside the entrance to confirm our arrival. I had booked Serengeti Safari online months before our trip to make sure that we got a place. One of the first things that Shannon had said when we told her we were going to Florida was “I really, really want to feed a giraffe”.
We had some time to spare before our booking, Dale had spotted Gwazi from the car park and was desperate to go on it but it had broken down so we headed for the alligators instead and listened to a talk before making our way to the Edge of Africa gift shop to meet our guide. When the whole group had arrived we made our way through the Edge of Africa gates to our driver, we deposited our belongings in a big locker and boarded the safari truck. From the minute we got on the trail and saw the giraffes all Shannon wanted to know was when she could feed them. It was hard to get her to stand still and hold on while we were moving. We saw lots of different animals, Zebra, Ostrich and antelope among others. Oh and the White Rhino although, of course, we didn’t get as close to them. As well as seeing them all our guide gave us loads of information on them all. The highlight, obviously, was feeding the giraffes (well one giraffe actually, the others were too young so we fed their mum Dolly). The park photographer clicked away as everybody took turn after turn feeding Dolly, so did Martin. No way am I paying for photos when we’ve got our own camera I thought. But when I saw the photos at the end of the day I couldn’t resist.

Shannon feeding Dolly

Dale feeding Dolly (apparently she dribbled in his hand)

Shannon... I think this really shows how she was feeling

What an experience and well worth the cost.
We retrieved our things from the locker and took a walk around the rest of Africa. Dale loves lions and was disappointed that he couldn’t feed them as well but we picked the right time to go and see them. As we got there 2 keepers climbed on top of land rovers with buckets of meat to feed the lion and lioness. With just a screen between us we could see right inside their mouths as they snatched the meat. Wow, those teeth. Another highlight for me was seeing the Meercats, I have always loved these, they are sooo cute.
We headed to Montu next, our first coaster of the day. Shannon wasn’t tall enough for this so we left her to look after Martin and Dale and I went on it. There was no queue and we loved it. A member of staff told us after the ride that we had picked the right time to visit. The week before the park was packed but the schools had gone back, the colleges apparently didn’t go back until the following week which explained why the Disney parks, although not too busy were not as empty as we had expected. On our day in Busch though we walked straight onto every ride we wanted to go on.
We were all hungry so we stopped at the Kenya Kanteen for hotdogs, fries with melted cheese and bacon bits and drinks.I tried persuading Martin that he would enjoy Rhino Rally but he insisted he would enjoy watching the elephants even more. When the lady in charge of loading the ride asked if anybody wanted to be Navigator and sit up front with the driver Dale asked if he could. The driver introduced Dale to everybody and told them “If you enjoy the ride my names Mike and if you don’t blame Dale”. He then told Dale that all he had to do was follow the markers and keep them on the right track. I had to bite my lip to stop myself laughing – I had done my homework and knew what to expect….just a shame I’d forgotten to warn the kids. Lol) Of course when everything went wrong Dale got the blame, he kept looking at me and of course I was trying to look as worried as possible. He was laughing but I caught the look of relief when everything turned out OK in the end. The kids both enjoyed this ride and Shannon say’s she wants to navigate next time and ‘she won’t get us lost’.
We met Martin near the elephants, walked onto Timbuktu and had a look around the gift shops. Dale, Shannon and I went on Scorpion (another coaster), twice because Shannon loved it and then on Sandstorm. We weren’t bothered about going on Phoenix and Shannon point blank refused to go on ‘the little children’s rides’ so we went on Cheetah Chase coaster instead. R.L.Steines Haunted Lighthouse was due to start so we grabbed some cold drinks and went to watch this (I think it was an excuse for a much needed sit down somewhere cool as much as a case of wanting to see the film). Haunted Lighthouse is a 4D film so even Martin was brave enough to watch it. A really enjoyable show, a bit spooky, with good effects and of course a happy ending.
Kumba was next, Shannon was disappointed at not being tall enough to go on so Martin took her on the Bumper Cars a couple of times instead, while Dale and I went on it. It is a toss up between Kumba and Montu for my favorite ride in this park. The one thing that Martin will normally go on is a water ride so we headed for the Congo River Rapids next. I had forgotten the waterproofs but assured Shannon that she wouldn’t get that wet – “look, you’ve been on these at Alton Towers”. Boy was I wrong we all came off absolutely soaked. Now I don’t mind, I can’t see the point of going on a water ride if you don’t expect to get a little bit wet, but Shannon gets so miserable. She stood outside the ride with water pouring off of her, her hair in tangles, clasping her arms around her and shivering. Oh and the look she gave me told me exactly what she thought of me for letting her go on it. I had noticed that the shop opposite had racks and racks of towels outside it, now I knew why. They must make a fortune for unsuspecting riders.
So with Shannon wrapped in a gorgeous new Busch Gardens towel we spent a while laughing at other people getting soaked and then set off towards Python (yes, another coaster). Dale and I left Martin and Shannon looking at the tigers while we rode it. Carrying on round the park and found ourselves with a water ride on each side. The one that really grabbed our attention was Tanganyika Tidal wave. There is a bridge going over this ride just at the bottom of the drop. An announcement is made every few minutes warning that anybody standing on the bridge will get wet. Dale wanted to go on it but we were only just starting to dry out and it was starting to cool down a bit – I don’t mind getting wet when it is warm and I have plenty of time to dry out in the sun, but not when it is cooler. Dale went on while Martin and I stood on the bridge and Shannon still clutching her precious towel around her and stood in the shelter at the other side of the bridge. We stood on the bridge until Dale’s boat started to drop and then ran into the shelter just as water surrounded it. Dale loved it and next time I am going to make this one of the first rides we go on so that I’ve got plenty of time to dry out. We stayed long enough for Dale to stand on the bridge although he couldn’t get any wetter. Martin decided he wanted to go on Stanley Falls Flume and took Dale with him, and then Shannon decided, after seeing that Martin hardly got wet at all, that she wanted to go on it, so they went on again.
The park was shutting at 6pm and we were running out of time. We had a look at the Living Dragons and the flamingos and were a bit cheesed off that the Budweiser Beer School was shut but soon cheered up when we saw that Gwazi was running again. We just had time to go on it so Dale and I went. Dales says that this is one of his favorite rides in the park but I didn’t really enjoy it – I think boneshaker is the word I’m looking for – I prefer a smoother ride.
Martin had a look round the shops and the kids and I went to look at the photos of the Safari, which I told you I couldn’t resist.
We joined the mass exodus of the park, made our way back to the car and made the decision to wait to eat dinner until we got to Downtown Disney.
An uneventful ride back and 15 minutes looking for a car parking space in Downtown Disney before deciding to go to Planet Hollywood. Every time I had been to London the queue for Planet Hollywood was too long so I was amazed when we only had a 5 minute wait for a table, just long enough to part with more dollars. After all that I’m sorry to say we won’t be eating here again. The food was nothing special, our server was miserable and unhelpful and in fact when I wanted to pay I even had to give a different server our dollars and cheque as she had vanished into the back 20 minutes beforehand and still not come back. The only highlight was the live link with New York Time’s Square.
We decided to have a walk around Westside, spent ages in Starabilias, where I could have spent a fortune, a few minutes in Magic Masters and about an hour in Virgin Megastore. Dale wanted to go in Disneyquest but it was too late.
It was about 11pm and we were all shattered so we wearily trudged back to our car and on to our hotel. We decided that we were all so tired that plans for the next day would have to change, we needed to slow down a bit. Got the kids sorted out and into bed and Martin followed them. I packed dirty clothes and things we’d bought in our cases, I hate leaving packing until the last minute, you either waste valuable time doing it when you could be out or end up forgetting something.
I finally fell into bed around 12.45am and was asleep in seconds despite the valiant attempts of 3 people trying to keep me awake with their snores.
Indian Creek Villa
October 7th - October 28th 2006
3 weeks in Heaven

Edited at 09:43 PM.
Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 05, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Really great, detailed reports, we are looking forward to finally getting to Busch Gardens on our next trip. The Safari sounds lovely with feeding the giraffes.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 05, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
This is the first post I have read of these but I will now be going back to the start and reading them all.

What a great report on BG I love this park and I think your report got it down to a T.

Had to laugh at Gwazi comment 'bone shaker' Though one is shakier than the other but for the life of me I cannot remember which one til I am on it again! LOL The front seat is well scary it is so close to the track!

I think it is Lion that is the shakiest but I am probably wrong.
I was umming and aahhing about the safari but I think you have convinced me to give it a try well Shannons face sold me.

Again great report and thanks for sharing... I want to go back now! LOL

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 05, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Brilliant - I am really enjoying these trippies We have only managed Busch once, but we really loved it... Sean and the two eldest stood on that bridge for ages (after they had been on the ride twice) and were dripping... even though we had a scorcher of a day, an hour later, heading to the car, they were still damp

I love the pic of Shannon - talk about a picture painting a story - as you said, her face says it all.

Thanx again for taking the trouble to write

Love Suexx
Old 27 Feb 05, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Dizzy
Imagineer

Shelly, definately do the safari. Absolutely fantastic experience.

Sue, I think Busch is coaster heaven . We love it.

I am a bit disapointed in the way the photos look, the originals are a lot nicer (colourwise). I'm not that up on computers and photography so I dont know if it's because they had to be made so much smaller. Never mind.
Indian Creek Villa
3 weeks in Heaven
Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 05, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
janeywaney
VIP Dibber

janeywaney's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Another brilliant report Sarah it feels like I was there with you. Beautiful photo's of the kids
Jane
August 06 All Star Sports, August 07 All Star Music, OKW August 08 OKW Nov 09 All Star Music Feb 10, OKW Sept 10 OKW Sept 2011 , OKW Nov 2013, Pop Cenury Sept 2014, OKW Sept 2015, OKW Nov 16, OKW Sept 17, OKW Aug 19
janeywaney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 05, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Boring ..never! Your trip report was sooooo interesting. We loved Busch. Your little girl's photo was really sweet!
Old 28 Feb 05, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
A lovely report again, the photos are great too.

You all must have been exhausted that night after such a busy and long day.

Caron
Old 1 Mar 05, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
highlander447
Imagineer

highlander447's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
Another great report and beautiful pictures thanks
highlander447 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 05, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Dizzy
Imagineer

Thanks everybody.
Caron, really exhausting but a great day non the less. I cant see anybody doing this park in one day at busier parts of the year. Never mind we had a nice lie in the next day

Sarah
Indian Creek Villa
3 weeks in Heaven