Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 7 Feb 16, 02:33 AM  
Link to this Post
PixieFairies
VIP Dibber

OKW or SSR for Family of 6

We have already stayed in a 1 bed OKW when we were a family of 5. However now we have expanded our family. We loved OKW and the space the 1 bed gave us. Just wondering where would be best suited for a family of 6 ( 2 adults and 4 kids ages 1-6 ) The 1 year old will be staying with us the bedroom in a cot, so we just need to decide for the 3 kids 3, 5, 6.
Do you think a 2 bedroom in OKW or a 2 bedroom SSR, and what offers more facilities for younger kids. I notice SSR has a kids splash pool where OKW doesnt, also SSR has an indoor quick service, with OKW just having Goods to Go.

Its a tough one, although if there were anywhere else on property that could facilitate our family of 6 i'd love to know this.
PixieFairies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 16, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Helenr
Imagineer

Helenr's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Any of the DVC resorts will accommodate 6 (in a 2 bed), but OKW & SSR are cheapest especially when free dining is offered.

'99, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08 x2, '09 x2,
'10 x2, '11, '12 x2, '13, '14, '15 x2, ‘16, ‘17, ‘18, ‘19 x2
Helenr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 16, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Okw biggest rooms ! And great resort as you know
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 16, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Elise79
Imagineer

IMO with young kids SSR wins although we prefer the rooms at OKW.

You have 2 pools with zero entry plus a splash area. The indoor CS is also a big plus.
Elise79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 16, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
nasty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PixieFairies View Post
We have already stayed in a 1 bed OKW when we were a family of 5. However now we have expanded our family. We loved OKW and the space the 1 bed gave us. Just wondering where would be best suited for a family of 6 ( 2 adults and 4 kids ages 1-6 ) The 1 year old will be staying with us the bedroom in a cot, so we just need to decide for the 3 kids 3, 5, 6.
Do you think a 2 bedroom in OKW or a 2 bedroom SSR, and what offers more facilities for younger kids. I notice SSR has a kids splash pool where OKW doesnt, also SSR has an indoor quick service, with OKW just having Goods to Go.

Its a tough one, although if there were anywhere else on property that could facilitate our family of 6 i'd love to know this.
All Star Music has rooms for six as well as Art of Animation. Then there's the Treehouses at SSR.
We are staying in a 2 bed at SSR for the first time this year so carnt comment on facilities as yet but we did stay in a 2 bed at OKW last year and that was huge. I thought the pool at OKW was great for kids but the ones at SSR do look better for smallies.
nasty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 16, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

The pools at SSR are great for young children. Zero entry pool at the springs next to artists palette which is the main counter service restaurant.
The paddock pool is zero entry and also has a lovely counter service cafe.
The grandstand has a great water play area with fountains and a bar.
Quiet pool at congress park.
It's a lovely relaxing resort and great being able to walk to the springs.
Like OKW too but prefer SSR
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 16, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

It depends really which is more important to you -. OKW has bigger and better rooms but SSR has better facilities and nearer to Disney Springs. We love SSR as the room space doesn't bother us but there are only 2 adults and a teen.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 16, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieFairies
VIP Dibber

We did love the space of the OKW 1 bedroom. However there wasnt much of kids could do, they were clinging onto me in the main swimming pool ( they were only 2 and just gone 4 at the time ) so werent the confident off you go around the pool kids. They did enjoy the sand and the slide but that was about it, didnt have interest to sit still and watch the movie nights however enjoyed the smores and marshmellows..
We wouldnt be spending much time in the room if there were great facilities in the resort itself to keep them occupied on none park days. SSR sounds like it does. Our kids are small kids so maybe the 2 bed SSR may be alright for us. I'll need to look at both of them. Also we were in OKW in Oct, but this time its going to have to be Aug time ( middle 2 weeks ) as the kids will be in school etc
PixieFairies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 16, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ck1
Excited about Disney

We will be doing SSR for the 3rd time this year! Been going since 2012! My kids were 4, 5, 6 and 12 when we first went! We like the pools! The paddock poolhas a little seperate pool next to it with alittle slide etc, ( google it! ) and has the bar and food outlet next to it! The staff always play games with the kids at this pool too! I cant comment in OKW! But we love the 2 bed rooms at SSR! Perfect for us!
ck1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 16, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieFairies
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ck1 View Post
We will be doing SSR for the 3rd time this year! Been going since 2012! My kids were 4, 5, 6 and 12 when we first went! We like the pools! The paddock poolhas a little seperate pool next to it with alittle slide etc, ( google it! ) and has the bar and food outlet next to it! The staff always play games with the kids at this pool too! I cant comment in OKW! But we love the 2 bed rooms at SSR! Perfect for us!
Its nice to see a family with young kids going back to the same place. You all must really like it. I'll definately look up the pool.
If you dont mind me asking, i see in your countdown that you also staying at HRH on your next visit, how does that work with a family of 6?

Any more info on SSR would be great, especially the fact of the young kids, something i compare to mine
Closed Thread