Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 30 Aug 15, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Dan, it is a mystery to me too. Cant see anything in my booking referring to a frequent flyer number and Alamo (well their foreign call centre) said there is nothing they can do. Resigned myself to losing 45 mins at the hire desk. Oh well.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 15, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Just thinking, if i "amend booking" and just change the times by 30 minutes and not enter flight and frequent flyer number the extra cost is £2. Wonder if it is worth doing, then trying the online process again? Potentially a waste if £2 if the problem persists, or £2 to save time at the desk if It works. Suppose it depends on the way you look at it.
Old 30 Aug 15, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Update: been talking to Alamo
Via twitter and they tell me as I booked through Alamo brits then I'm ineligable for Bypass the Counter.
Old 30 Aug 15, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
w3dal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by revatron View Post
Update: been talking to Alamo
Via twitter and they tell me as I booked through Alamo brits then I'm ineligable for Bypass the Counter.
thats rubbish - it works no problem.
Old 30 Aug 15, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post

I know that, you know that and the good people of The Dibb know that!
It seems my suspicions of entering a Frequent Flyer number was the case. I amended my booking removing all flight and FF details. The extra cost was £1.68 as I'd pre-paid already. Tried OLCI and Skip the Counter again and what do you know, it worked!
Key message here seems to be dont enter Frequent Flyer details, however Alamo were less than useless in their "customer support".
Old 2 Sep 15, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

Had fun trying this with our TCD booking a couple of nights back.
We used the Virgin link as per advice on various threads but no dice, it wouldn't accept our 7 digit reference. We contact TCD and are advised that this is a perk of booking via Virgin... We push the issue as we didn't really pay any less for car hire than we would via Virgin and eventually we're given an Alamo ref.. I've yet to try this one yet other than logging in to the regular page to see if it brought up our details. It did.
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 15, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Logan
Imagineer

Well, just completed my check-in online, then skip the counter successfully, no problems and now have my ticket to go straight to the garage.

Added details of my free additional driver, agreed to the inclusions already selected, but careful to refuse the other options, such as road-side assistance, gave a credit card to secure and that was it. As the meerkats say, simples!

Only slight concern, it gave me an estimated sterling payment amount based on today's exchange rate, which is a bit higher than when I last amended it.

Also, I presume that if I want to pay for a tank of fuel and thereby return the car empty, I can do or confirm this at the exit kiosk?

Thanks Dan for this invaluable thread!
Logan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 15, 01:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Yorkshire_Dan
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Well, just completed my check-in online, then skip the counter successfully, no problems and now have my ticket to go straight to the garage.

Added details of my free additional driver, agreed to the inclusions already selected, but careful to refuse the other options, such as road-side assistance, gave a credit card to secure and that was it. As the meerkats say, simples!

Only slight concern, it gave me an estimated sterling payment amount based on today's exchange rate, which is a bit higher than when I last amended it.

Also, I presume that if I want to pay for a tank of fuel and thereby return the car empty, I can do or confirm this at the exit kiosk?

Thanks Dan for this invaluable thread!
Yep, they ask you what you want to do with regards to fuel at the kiosk on the way out.

I was charged $29 for a full tank of fuel for an SUV. Amazing value I thought! This was on Thursday.
Yorkshire_Dan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 15, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Logan
Imagineer

Oh yes, forgot to say, the other thing I did was remove the frequent flyer information prior to checking out.
Logan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 15, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Yorkshire_Dan View Post
Yep, they ask you what you want to do with regards to fuel at the kiosk on the way out.

I was charged $29 for a full tank of fuel for an SUV. Amazing value I thought! This was on Thursday.
I think I'm going to pay at the kiosk for fuel if offered. I know you'll pay slightly more, but then you don't have to worry about finding a gas station near the airport (which will charge high prices anyway).
Closed Thread