Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Feb 12, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Cheapest way to book a holiday?

I'm not after the cheapest holiday possible, but I wanted to know if its cheaper to book every part of the holiday as a package, or buy flights, hotels, park entry etc separately?

We're hoping to go in April or May this year.

Any advice for a newbie? (first post!)

Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 12, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Welcome to the forum.

This topic has been covered a few times recently in this section.

The general feeling (well from me anyway) is that a DIY build your own is cheaper..

It all comes down to the type of holiday you want, eg, Villa, Onsite Disney, etc etc..

It may be worth taking a glance through this thread- http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...472720&page=17 -- see the last few pages where people have posted how much they have paid, it will give you a good idea of costs etc.

Enjoy!

Rick

Edited at 07:50 PM.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 12, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Goofster
Apprentice Imagineer

Good reply from RickT. Really difficult to answer. I enjoy the planning of the DIY and getting a holiday sorted exactly the way I want it rather than 2 weeks in one place. If you enjoy the planning then DIY, if you do not I would say package.
Good luck !
Goofster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 12, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
kerrycookie17
Getting Excited

Thumbs up

I've done DIY for the 4 trips we've had and I always find it cheaper. You've got to do a bit of digging and a lot of writing taking note of all the quotes etc. If you know where to look you can find a good deal. I've just booked a 3 bed townhouse in a resort on the 192 for £560 for 2 weeks! we stayed at the same resort last year and know that is a lovely place. Happy Hunting!

1994 Chatham Park, Kissimmee, 1997 Chatham Park, Kissimmee, 2005 Sheraton World Resort, 2006 Enclave Suites, 2007 Highland Reserve Villa, 2009 Highland Reserve Villa, 2010 Grand Beach Resort, 2011 Encantada Resort, 2012 Encantada Resort
kerrycookie17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 12, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post

welcome to the dibb

we have done both , i do think its worth looking at packages as sometimes you can be surprised, make yourself a list of what you want and price them both, we bought a package first time we went with virgin, we paid well over the odds but i am glad we booked a package for our first trip, it took all the stress out of it - but then we didn't have all the insider info you can get on here.

any questions please don't hesitate to ask
Old 10 Feb 12, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
US192
Very Serious Dibber

In my experience DIY is generally the cheaper option, or you get significantly more for the same spend.

That said we did get 14 nights in the Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village in October 2007 for only £70 more than the cost of flights alone (£5 per night for a room - couldn't say no! ), so it can definately be worth shopping around.

We like the freedom that comes with a villa holiday, and they are invariably cheaper going the DIY route.
US192 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 12, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks very much everyone. I've ordered some brochures to look at package deals but it sounds like DIY is cheaper. Arrgh, I don't know where to start...
Old 11 Feb 12, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
I would start by deciding what type of accommodation I would like, hotel v villa, onsite v off, one hotel or more... it was our first time as a family last year, we have two young girls and decided on onsite disney. That cleared out a lot of choices, so then it was onto the isney website to pick a hotel that fitted in with our budget. It's mind boggling but fun!
Old 11 Feb 12, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by fredthefrog View Post
Thanks very much everyone. I've ordered some brochures to look at package deals but it sounds like DIY is cheaper. Arrgh, I don't know where to start...
DIY can often be cheaper but you need to compare to be sure.
It doesn't always be one or the other as well, sometimes a fly drive can be the best option with DIY for accomodation.

No way to be certain and it can depend on the dates, party size, type of accomodation etc.

It's time consuming getting the best price (and no guarantee it won't become cheaper after booking).

Welcome to the panning part, however you are in the right place.

Break it down into smaller parts, and ask for advice in the relevant forums.
Old 11 Feb 12, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Goofster
Apprentice Imagineer

Have a look through all the flight companies around the date you wish to fly. Check netflights,expedia,skyscanner etc (hope I'm allowed to name these) and these will give you prices of flights, weekday flights cheaper than weekend, loads of hotel sites. As other OP said if you do not want to drive stay onsite but if you are happy driving I personally think it gives you more freedom to stay at a villa (and there is more room) horses for courses I suppose. Don't be afraid to ask loads of questions, someone once said there is no such thing as a stupid question only stupid answers The people on here are amazing and will help you with anything. Last time I was there was the third time and first after finding the DIBB, the difference was amazing
Good luck !
Goofster is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread