Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Oct 15, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'd rather give money than something that wasn't wanted.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, but I agree with this. Before I started gifting people money I bought a friend a 'birdcage'.
She was into shabby chic/girly/pretty decoration and I happened to pop into Laura Ashley at the time and I spotted this gorgeous cream birdcage with cream metal roses on it and I just knew it was her.

I thought that it would look beautiful in their home and that they could hang a plant in it, or candles. They could use it as decoration filled with flowers.

I had it completely filled with pink and vandela roses for their wedding. It cost around £85 for the cage and flowers.

A few months after their wedding I popped over to their home to visit them and it was in the back garden - rusted. What a waste of my money. I always give cash now and I really couldn't give a c**p what they spend it on. My gift is the cash. I give it because I want to and I hope they enjoy it.

Edited at 11:03 PM.
Reereef is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 15, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

The thing is, nearly all couples live together before they get married now. Meaning toasters generally are not needed! (Though my parents got married 4 years ago and the toaster blew up the next day! )

Mum and ad had a little poem and asked for first choice vouchers, but they weren't bothered and would rather people where there.

Friends of ours have done a little activity pack of things they would like to do in NZ and how much each item is, but they don't EXPECT it. But a lot of typical gifts are redundant now a days.

I think it's absolutely fine . Personally I would make sure I could find the honeymoon myself, and use anything we got as extras, just in case!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 15, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Mobile

I suppose the thing with giving money is the recipient knows exactly how much you have spent whereas if you were short of funds you could get a present for half its value on sale and the recipient would think you had spent much more! Personally I don't like giving cash but I do think vouchers are a good idea. I think it's the fact that your gift won't be spent on the gas bill but might enable the B&G to buy something they actually want.
CSR October 2011, POFQ May 2012, POP July 2012, SSR April 2013, OKW Oct 2014, OKW July 2016, All Stars Music April 2017, OKW/BLT July 2018, All Stars Sports Oct 2019, Riviera May 2022, GFR/AKL Oct 2022, Disney 5K Riviera/copper creek 2024, SSR Aug 2024
parkgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
We've done an online list and included the link in an insert with other information - parking, accommodation, taxis home, dietary requests etc. My Mum was quite uncomfortable with this, as in her day everyone asked her parents what they wanted.

But many of our guests don't know my parents and my future MIL would get herself all stressed out over being asked to hand a list out plus how can you control who buys what and prevent duplications? Also, I felt having the list online allowed people to browse at their leisure, see what things cost and what they can afford, and when you make a purchase the website takes that item off the list.

I imagine someone will criticise what we've done, but you can't please everyone!
We did our list in a duplicate book , so when someone bought a item they ripped that page . I think the book just got passed around, Went around work (we worked together) then my family and so on.

Plenty didn't see it of course seeing as we had people there he'd not seen in years and we've never since but we had to invite because of the MIL.

I'm sure if the internet had been around there we too would have had a online list as they make life so much easier.

As for people criticising you, the sad fact about weddings is you won't please everyone ..
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 05:56 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
We did our list in a duplicate book , so when someone bought a item they ripped that page . I think the book just got passed around, Went around work (we worked together) then my family and so on.

Plenty didn't see it of course seeing as we had people there he'd not seen in years and we've never since but we had to invite because of the MIL.

I'm sure if the internet had been around there we too would have had a online list as they make life so much easier.

As for people criticising you, the sad fact about weddings is you won't please everyone ..
We had a book where people ripped the pages out and my parents passed it round if anyone asked for it too!
I do think the fact that people live together first now isn't really a valid reason though as we lived together first and managed to find things we needed and things that needed replacing as a lot of stuff we had was second hand. We wanted to go to Florida on honeymoon but it never occurred to us to ask for cash, we just kept the wedding simple so we could afford the honeymoon.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 06:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Edam1975
Imagineer

Mobile

I would just tell your DD to do what she wants. As you can see on the replies on here you're never going to please everyone. I think most people will be fine with it and those who are not will soon get over it.

1986 - Howard Johnsons / 1989 - Quality Inn / 1994 - All Star Sports / 2005 - Tuscan Hills / 2011 - Cumbrian Lakes / 2012 - Lindfields / 2014 - Formosa Gardens / 2014 - Emerald Island / 2016 - Emerald Island & RPR / 2018 - Emerald Island & RPR / 2022 - Las Vegas, Mammoth Lakes, Yosemite, Monterey, Morro Bay, LA, Disneyland (Grand Californian), San Diego / 2023 - Grand Floridian, Anna Maria Island, RPR
Edam1975 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 15, 06:11 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread