Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Oct 14, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by alkel2730 View Post
You sound just like me - I went as a child then a few times just me and DH before marriage, had honeymoon there and went a few times after and now we have our little lady it'll be the three of us. We love it so for us it was a no brainier but sadly we didn't have the funds to but a big contract but I'm surprised how easily we've made it work. Last year we did go cash but actually I rented out my points and it was a last min booking so had I of not rented them then we would have home on points. But having 100 allows us the flexibility to sometes take advantage of good cash offers like 40% off rooms and DDP so those years we just rent or bank points. There will a time when you probably need to skip a whole year I think like we are doing this year, but after that you should be ok for the next 4, maybe 6 years depending on how you use your points
We shall keep our cash one for next year as we shall have free DDP shall go on Dvc tour too I am not sure I shall buy before I go as I prefer talking face to face with someone

We usually go every other year anyway as we go other places the between years so I think it will work but can always bank and borrow or rent etc

After 2 trips it would pay for itself really then just the maintenance fees, flights, tickets etc
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 14, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
missdopey
Imagineer

We bought 160 and think that should be enough for us to go 3 out of every 4 years. The great thing is once you're an owner you can add on a small contract direct with disney. So if your finding you could do with a few more you can add on a minimum of 25 point contract (if paying cash) and it doesn't have to be your home resort.

ASMo, ASMu x4, SSR x2, BLT x 4, CSR, POLY, AKL x 4, BC x 4, BWV, CC, OKW
DVC MEMBER - BLT & SSR
missdopey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 14, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

100 points is enough to get started and see how you feel. with banking and borrowing you could do 200 point trips alternate years or 300 point trips every third year. or a combination of the above.

you can also mix and match with a cash booking so do a week of free dining followed by a week of dvc.

we have 170 points and have used them in different ways on every trip so I wouldn't fixate on needing a precise number for certain booking.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 14, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
for 100 points I would buy resale. you will save a fortune compared to buying direct.

you can still use the points in California and Hawaii.

you can't use them in Tokyo or on a cruisr but 200 points wont go very far in either of those situations.

you can also still trade out to the World Passport resorts.

by all means do the tour but know your resale prices before you go and don't be swayed into paying Disneys prices

Edited at 09:27 AM.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 14, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
for 100 points I would buy resale. you will save a fortune compared to buying direct.

you can still use the points in California and Hawaii.

you can't use them in Tokyo or on a cruisr but 200 points wont go very far in either of those situations.

you can also still trade out to the World Passport resorts.

by all means do the tour but know your resale prices before you go and don't be swayed into paying Disneys prices
I think resale is the way to go then and I think Boardwalk would be a fab choice going to see if I can peak at the rooms when we are there next

Thank you for the replies good to know we can always add on small amount of points with disney later
Old 25 Oct 14, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
The Boardwalk is good because if you book a standard view room you save a lot of points compared to similar resorts. They have a showroom right on the boardwalk so you can have a look at the rooms.
Old 25 Oct 14, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post

We bought direct in May and I'm sure the minimum purchase was 100. I'd definitely recommend going over points charts before deciding how many points you need. The minimum for a week at VGF is 125 so it would be limiting to buy any less there. We bought 125 because it'll cover the times of year we want to go now at VGF but most of the year inc summer pretty much anywhere else.
Old 25 Oct 14, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

I must admit I thought they'd lowered it to 100 direct minimum. It used to be 160 but I thought they'd changed it like Hollie said. Might be wrong though! Either way of definitely go resale as way cheaper. You could always pop into the Timeshare Store when out there if you like to speak face to face - that's who we bought from
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 14, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

You can get 100 points direct from Disney. We did this a few years ago and have since added more as now like to stay in a one bed.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 14, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida-Sarah
Apprentice Imagineer

Florida-Sarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I don't think that there is ever a standard "correct" number of points.

We have 350 points, as we always stay in 1 beds, and like to visit twice every three years.

That number was right for our family, but yours will be different. You need to use the Dibb DVC calculator to see roughly how many points your trips are likely to require, and then figure out how often you want to go - annually / every 2 years / every 3 years and then this will give you an idea of the optimum number of points that you will ultimately need.

As others have said, buy less initially, and you can always add on if you are unsure about how often you will want to visit.
Florida-Sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread