Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Feb 11, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
steven19720
Getting Excited

Citibank US Dollar Current Account

Hi there, i hope someone can help as i'm after some advice really.

I've seen a lot of posts about Citibank and though i'd have a read up about them on their website.

They do something called a Citibank US Dollar and Euro Current Account.

Has anyone used these at all ?

From what i gather, you can pay money into these accounts in sterling and then it's converted to US dollars at what appears to be a very good rate over and above what i have seen on the high street and even on some websites.

Are there plenty of cash point machines in Orlando where you can access your money or can you choose to pay by card as if it were a debit card?

And i guess, one final question, if you were to draw money out of the acccount back in the UK, does anyone know if there would be any charges.

I know it might sound like i'm being lazy and should really read the small print, but i guess i'm just after anyone's experiences of using this?

Many thanks,
Steve.
steven19720 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 11, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Goodisoner
Apprentice Imagineer

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=480839
Goodisoner is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 11, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post

For ATM fee free withdrawals enter your zip code on this website.
Disney is 32830.

Free at Citibank, publix, 7-Eleven and moneypass ATMs (some Walmarts have moneypass ATMs).

Other ATMs will incur a typical charge of $2-$4, you won't be far from an ATM.

With a current account you get a visa debit and use it like any other visa card.
The $ deposit account gets you an ATM card only.

If you use the $ card in the UK you'll be hit with a 2.75% fee.
Also if you don't use a citibank or Link ATM you be hit for another 2% (£2 min - £5 max). The rate is the current Citibank rate.

If you have money left, it might be easier to open a £ account and transfer into that (at the citibank rate). You can then use net banking to transfer back the £ into your UK bank account.

Edited at 01:14 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 11, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi

I have just opened one after seeing all the reviews on here, i have always been a little dubious about have a "card" i like my good old fashioned travellers cheques ..lol

I applied online last Monday, posted the signed forms that day, received our accounts details cards etc by Friday ...

I did a tester transfer from my regular Current Account of £10 each on Friday, i have just logged onto Citi bank to check if it has gone in and yep, i has got $16.01 for the £10... very pleased with that rate

We go in a few weeks and have pretty much got all our spending money in TC'S, but i'm going to transfer some to these cards to give them a little whirl while we are there so next time hopefully i will be confident enough to use them as our main source of spending money ...

Will be much easier through the year to save for our next trip too,

I have a query as well, if anyone can answer, as i'm new to it as well , for future transfers is there a separate area when you log into your account to see what rate you have got with your transfer ...this being the first one i have done it easy to see, but as it keeps adding up/on don't want to be having to work it out ..if you know what i mean ?
Thanks

I hope you get the answers you need Steve, but so far so good for us
Lisa
Old 14 Feb 11, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
steven19720
Getting Excited

Thank you for all your replies. I've been very impressed from what i've seen so far so will definitely consider getting one before we go in August.

I'm guessing it'll probably mean that i can dispense with the travellers cheque and just use a combination of card and cash when i'm out there... especially as i've read that some of the small vendors in the parks don't take card.

I like the idea of the prefential rate though especially as the dollar seems to taken a tumble recently.
steven19720 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 11, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by steven19720 View Post
Thank you for all your replies. I've been very impressed from what i've seen so far so will definitely consider getting one before we go in August.

I'm guessing it'll probably mean that i can dispense with the travellers cheque and just use a combination of card and cash when i'm out there... especially as i've read that some of the small vendors in the parks don't take card.

I like the idea of the prefential rate though especially as the dollar seems to taken a tumble recently.
Why dispense with TC's? - take them as well - I know I do - all 5 I have, debit, credit, FairFX, Citibank and cash
Old 18 Feb 11, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Tell Citibank your travel dates

I have just returned from 2 weeks in Orlando where I used my Citibank card to withdraw cash at the 7-11 stores with no problem. However, before you go you must tell them the dates when you will be in the USA. If you make a major withdrawal (I bought an iPad) you may find your card blocked. When I got home to the UK there was a voicemail message asking if I had made the purchase in question which was no help as I was obviously not in the UK at the time. This happened to me 4 days before leaving Orlando, but luckily I had a UK credit card with me so I was still able to pay for meals, etc.

Edited at 11:26 PM. Reason: grammar error
Old 19 Feb 11, 01:18 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Lisa & Dave View Post
I have a query as well, if anyone can answer, as i'm new to it as well , for future transfers is there a separate area when you log into your account to see what rate you have got with your transfer ...this being the first one i have done it easy to see, but as it keeps adding up/on don't want to be having to work it out ..if you know what i mean ?
Thanks

Lisa
Your transactions are listed via online banking, the deposits normally pretty easy to spot

You can still opt for paper statements and each transaction is listed in that for the relevant period.
Old 19 Feb 11, 01:27 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by clancy View Post
I have just returned from 2 weeks in Orlando where I used my Citibank card to withdraw cash at the 7-11 stores with no problem. However, before you go you must tell them the dates when you will be in the USA. If you make a major withdrawal (I bought an iPad) you may find your card blocked. When I got home to the UK there was a voicemail message asking if I had made the purchase in question which was no help as I was obviously not in the UK at the time. This happened to me 4 days before leaving Orlando, but luckily I had a UK credit card with me so I was still able to pay for meals, etc.
That's actually applicable to all credit card card / currect accounts.

You are always advised to let your bank / credit card company know that you will be overseas, as it will be classed as unusual activity on your card.

Pretty standard practise nowadays, thought most people were aware of this
Old 19 Feb 11, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by donaldduke View Post
That's actually applicable to all credit card card / currect accounts.

You are always advised to let your bank / credit card company know that you will be overseas, as it will be classed as unusual activity on your card.

Pretty standard practise nowadays, thought most people were aware of this
Donaldduke,
You are right that credit card companies and banks expect you to notify them when you are away which I did do in fact. Obviously the next time I travel to the US I will notify Citibank as well. I guess I rashly assumed that as I was in the US using US dollars I wouldn't have any problem. The point I was trying to make was that if by some chance you forget to notify them and your card is blocked you won't know about it unless you phone the London number which would be quite expensive on a mobile. You can email them, but it is time consuming. Even when I did this the card was still blocked several days later. It certainly has been a learning experience!
Closed Thread

Tags
citibank