Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 27 Jul 14, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
wakeuplaura
Excited about Disney

NYC to Orlando Road Trip - Day 1 - Travel Day and 1st night in NY, NY (Tony Di Napoli and TOTR)

Well, since Stuart moans at me EVERY SINGLE DAY to get started on our Trip Report, I suppose there is no time like the present, and as I sit in my living room on a Sunday night with work looming tomorrow, I can't think of a better time to reminisce on one of the best holidays of my life!

If you missed it, you can check out my Pre-Trip Report here.

ONTO...

Day 1 - Tuesday 17th June

With alarms set for 5am, for once we didn't moan at each other to turn the alarm off, and instead got up and started getting ready to head off.

With cases packed and ready to go, it was just the last minute toiletry/make-up sort out, and then we were off... !

And then back to the house as I had left Stuart's M&S Sandwiches in the fridge...

But then we were off again!

My mum took us to Edinburgh Airport, which is around 30 minutes from where I stay in Fife.

Once we arrived, we quickly checked in, dropped our suitcases off, headed through security and then went straight to the lounge...

The New No1 Lounge was great, and we were pretty much the only people there! We shared a bacon roll and some waffles, made use of the Free WiFi, and had a couple of fruit juices.

We then did a quick trip to Boots for some foodie supplies..

...and had a last minute trip to Costa before boarding. Stuart had a Flat White and I had a Lemon Iced Tea.

We flew with United Airlines direct to Newark, and the flight went in pretty quick! We both watched a few TV shows/films on the TV and I tried the plane food, which wasn't great...

...so our Boots food came in handy!

Obligatory plane photos... Standard.

Once we arrived, we rushed off the plane and were among the first through security, and once we got to the baggage claim, our cases were already on the belt!

We got tickets for the bus to Manhatten, then headed outside to get on the bus!

I think the bus took around 40 minutes, and it really was ideal, as you get dropped off at Port Authority Bus Station,which is really just round the corner from Times Square.

Unfortunately, once we got off the bus, neither of our phones were working and we couldn't really find anyone to get directions from, so we just took a cab to our hotel. The cab seemed to take forever! But we were eventually in our hotel!

The Radio City Apartments were ideal. Right next to a subway station, and restaurants and delis, and RIGHT next to Times Square. The rooms etc are a little dated, but very clean and the location was ideal!

Sorry, no room pics, I kept meaning o take them but didn't actually get round to it!

We both quickly had showers and got changed, then headed out to wander around...

We ended up at some Dibb Favorites, which we didn't realise were right off Times Square, and right next to each other!

First up was Heartlands Brewery, where Stuart had a beer flight, and I had a Crazy Cab Driver, and a Raspberry Cider.

Before...

And after...

Next up was our reservation at Tony Di Napoli, which we were glad we made as the queue was HUGE!

We had Frozen Peach Bellinis, Chicken Parmigiana, and a side of Spaghetti.

We did a bit of wandering around Times Square, then headed for our Top of the Rock Reservation!

More selfies...

We both really enjoyed this, and although it was VERY busy, we're both so glad we did it. Obv, what a fantastic view, but it was perfect for the first night of our amazing holiday We also timed it to see the sun-setting which made our pictures vary and look fab!

We grabbed a Starbucks, and sat at the fountain outside Radio City Music Hall to end of the night...

Next up... Day 2 - Our first full day in NYC, where we walk, drink, eat and go see Late Night with Seth Myers and eat at STK!

Trippies: The Three Amigos Hit Florida - October 2012 by Dibb Member, clarithy
NEW East Coast Report - NYC to Orlando Road Trip June 2014

Edited at 02:11 PM.
wakeuplaura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 14, 08:31 PM  
Link to this Post

Amazing first day - loved the selfies!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 14, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

great first day
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 14, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinnabon
Imagineer

Great start, looking forward to reading more
Old 28 Jul 14, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
wakeuplaura
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by higginj1 View Post
Amazing first day - loved the selfies!
Thanks, glad you enjoyed! Your dogs are sooo cute!

Originally Posted by MissVincent View Post
great first day
Thanks, really enjoyed your Orlando trippy

Originally Posted by Cinnabon View Post
Great start, looking forward to reading more
Thanks, glad I finally got round to it. Hoping to do Day 2 in next couple days

wakeuplaura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 14, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Laura, so glad you have finally started this. I have been waiting with bated breath.

So strange to think that we might have been in Times Square exactly when you were (we had dinner at Junior's that night).

Immigration was so quick for us; we couldn't quite believe that we were at our hotel by 2pm, having only landed at 12.30. Top of the Rock was amazing too (even though we were there a couple of nights later when it poured with rain), such fabulous views. We stayed up there for ages.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 14, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
clarithy
Very Serious Dibber

Great first day. You got a lot done on your travel day.

Your cocktails looked yum

Cant wait for day 2.
clarithy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 14, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
wakeuplaura
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Laura, so glad you have finally started this. I have been waiting with bated breath.

So strange to think that we might have been in Times Square exactly when you were (we had dinner at Junior's that night).

Immigration was so quick for us; we couldn't quite believe that we were at our hotel by 2pm, having only landed at 12.30. Top of the Rock was amazing too (even though we were there a couple of nights later when it poured with rain), such fabulous views. We stayed up there for ages.
We must have stayed up for just over an hour - but really enjoyed it. Defo a must do for anyone who hasn't done it before!

We were glad to have got through immigration so quickly, we were the same, I think we were out and walking around Times Square by 3pm, so it was a great journey overall

We didn't manage a trip to Juniors, maybe next time! Glad you are enjoying so far... let me know what you think of the days to come!

Originally Posted by clarithy View Post
Great first day. You got a lot done on your travel day.

Your cocktails looked yum

Cant wait for day 2.
I love a cocktail

Old 28 Jul 14, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

Great day. Haven't read the pre-trip (my bad ) but from the title i'm guessing you are driving all the way to Orlando which really interests me as i'd love to do something like that... looking forward to the next parts!
Old 28 Jul 14, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post

[QUOTE=wakeuplaura;9882614]Thanks, glad you enjoyed! Your dogs are sooo cute!

Thanks I will let Alfie and Henry know lol. Will really miss them when we go away for 3 weeks in a months time .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List