Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 2 Mar 12, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
BriarRose
Imagineer

We've got to try WPE this year, everything looks yummy!

1998,1999,2001,2004 I Drive, 2005,2006 Pop Century, 2007 Newport Bay DLP, 2010, 2012 OKW 2013, 2014, 2015 SSR, 2016 Portofino Bay & IDrive
BriarRose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 12, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Food looks great! Love WPE!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Mar 12, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

im super excited for wpe now! those salads look really good even in plastic boxes!
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 12, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Clare View Post
i still haven't made it to wpe but seeing those salads i really must make it there in December!

Can’t believe you still haven’t made it to WPE Clare. I know you’d love the food. Mind you it’s a case of so many choices, such little time isn’t it? Just can’t fit it all in!

Originally Posted by ppodangel View Post
Ooh definitely have to try WPE! Everything looks delicious, even in the plastic containers! Really enjoying this report!
You must give WPE a go Lindsay. The menu is more interesting than most other QS locations. The food is always lovely and fresh and they use good quality ingredients.

Originally Posted by BriarRose View Post
We've got to try WPE this year, everything looks yummy!
I definitely recommend it Susan. I could happily eat there every day.

Originally Posted by NatsyNoo View Post
Food looks great! Love WPE!
Me too Natalie. No matter what my mood, I know there will always be something tasty to tempt me at WPE.

Originally Posted by MissVincent View Post
im super excited for wpe now! those salads look really good even in plastic boxes!
You won’t be disappointed MissV. Those salads tasted delicious! They look quite small in the take-away boxes, but they were actually full sized meals.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 12, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ch1ps
Imagineer

ch1ps's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Really enjoying this thread.
Old 6 Mar 12, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Grand Floridian Cafe - Grand Floridian

After a busy morning at the Magic Kingdom, a relaxing lunch in the relatively calm surroundings of the pretty Grand Floridian Cafe comes as a welcome pleasure.
We took the little boat launch over (a relaxing treat in itself) and had a wander around the resort before it was time to check in.

As usual I asked for a window table and within a few minutes we were seated at the first table in the dining room, really close to the entrance. I was a bit uncomfortable about sitting here at first. I thought we’d be bothered by a stream of guests coming and going but it was actually fine, we weren’t particularly aware of anyone passing by at all.

I was ready for some alcoholic refreshment, so while Paul perused the menu I busied myself with the wine list. I chose a glass of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc which hit the spot perfectly.
We also ordered a bottle of sparkling mineral water. In the past we’ve always been given a large bottle of San Pellegrino to share, but today we each received a small bottle of Perrier.

When I looked at our check afterwards I was shocked to see they were charging $4.75 for the Perrier I was relieved we were using the Dining Plan today.

I fancied a bit of fish for my lunch.

Fish of the Week – Pan-seared Mahi-Mahi with Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Caramelized Onions, Broccolini and a Roasted Piquillo Pepper Butter Emulsion

I was really enjoying this dish, until I reached the raw bit in the middle of my Mahi-Mahi...

I prefer my fish under rather than over generally, but Mahi-Mahi is a dense meaty fish and it needs to be cooked through. I considered sending it back but the “Porkgate” incident was still fresh in my mind and I really couldn’t be doing with any fuss today. It was quite a big piece of fish and the majority of it was cooked correctly so I just ate around the raw part.
Everything else on the plate tasted delicious and if it were not for the fishy faux-pas my meal would have been perfect.

Paul had the Pasta of the Day. Orecchiette in a creamy sauce with green beans, sun-dried tomatoes, red onions, chives and Asiago cheese.
A nice dish, but the creamy sauce made it taste extremely rich and Paul couldn’t eat it all. I doubt anyone could actually - the bowl was enormous! He managed about two thirds and enjoyed it, but said it would have been better if they had used asparagus instead of green beans. The taste and texture of the beans couldn’t stand up to the richness of the sauce. And he loves asparagus.

Pasta of the Day (made vegetarian, but also available with chicken or shrimp)

For dessert we decided (predictably) to share the sampler platter.

Dessert Sampler for Two - Fresh Berry Tart, Boston Creme Pie, Key Lime Tart, and Lemon Cheesecake

We were a little bit disappointed with the Dessert Platter today.
Firstly, the presentation has changed – the large square platter used to look really impressive, but the desserts looked all squished together on this small plate.
Secondly, my two favourite desserts (Tiramisu and Chocolate-Hazelnut Mousse Cake) had disappeared.
The new desserts were okay, but nowhere near as good as the ones they replaced.

We still managed to gobble them all up though!

We just couldn’t bring ourselves to eat Mickey.

Then we changed our minds.

Sorry Mickey!

I hope I don’t sound too critical about our visit to the Grand Flo Cafe, because we love the restaurant and we really did enjoy our lunch overall. We just had a couple of small niggles today. We'll definitely be returning.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 12, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BriarRose
Imagineer

I hadn't really heard of this restaurant before, but the food looked great (fishy error aside) and the desserts looked amazing!

Is this the only restaurant that gives you a chocolate mickey, I loved that

1998,1999,2001,2004 I Drive, 2005,2006 Pop Century, 2007 Newport Bay DLP, 2010, 2012 OKW 2013, 2014, 2015 SSR, 2016 Portofino Bay & IDrive
BriarRose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 12, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
clarithy
Very Serious Dibber

Considering trying this in October but cant decide between breakfast or lunch ? I fancy the gf burger so maybe lunch but the eggs Benedict look yummy too. Decisions decisions
clarithy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 12, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
i love the gf cafe Su, it's such a nice spot for a lunch break from the MK.

The fish is a definite black mark, thankfully you noticed it was raw and avoided that part.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 12, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hi Su,

Great report - thanks for sharing. If you check your box you should have a PM from me.

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List