Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Jan 09, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Jfuller
Getting Excited

Baggage allowance UK connecting flights

We've decided to fly out to San Francisco on our next trip but can't fly direct from Manchester with Virgin. So we've booked flights from Manchester to Heathrow and I've started wondering if out baggage allowance will be the same on the internal flights as it is on Virgin i.e. 23kg and 2 cases per passenger. I think our connecting flights in the UK are with BA but not sure. Any advice please?
Jfuller is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 09, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Jfuller View Post
We've decided to fly out to San Francisco on our next trip but can't fly direct from Manchester with Virgin. So we've booked flights from Manchester to Heathrow and I've started wondering if out baggage allowance will be the same on the internal flights as it is on Virgin i.e. 23kg and 2 cases per passenger. I think our connecting flights in the UK are with BA but not sure. Any advice please?
In order for you to be able to use the VA transatlantic allowance on the internal BA flight, you must be travelling on a single ticket.

Did you book both flights at the same time.
If you booked them a different times then you will be limited to the BA internal limits.

If you booked your flights through a TA or website at the same time as one journey from Man to MCO, you should be on a single ticket but sometimes this isn't done as the internal flights may not be available at the time of booking.

Best check with who you booked with to be 100% sure.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 09, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post

We had the same problem in November. We flew from Heathrow but had connecting BA flights from Glasgow, on the LHR flight we were allowed 2 x 23 kilos but on the BA only 1 x 23. However BA also allowed us carry on of up to 23 kilos so we utilised this. There is a size restriction on the but all the heavy things went into these cases.
Old 17 Jan 09, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
andy151
Excited about Disney

Im under the impression its just virgin that has the 2x23kg and if you have a connecting flight you must pay there supplements ? i would confirm with BA.
NOV 11- DLP Cheyenne
FEB 15- DLP Santa Fe
andy151 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 09, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Jfuller
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Jakey rowling View Post
In order for you to be able to use the VA transatlantic allowance on the internal BA flight, you must be travelling on a single ticket.

Did you book both flights at the same time.
If you booked them a different times then you will be limited to the BA internal limits.

If you booked your flights through a TA or website at the same time as one journey from Man to MCO, you should be on a single ticket but sometimes this isn't done as the internal flights may not be available at the time of booking.

Best check with who you booked with to be 100% sure.
Thanks. It was all booked at the same time with transfers being part of the holiday package with Virgin. So I presume we will check in at Manchester and then not see our bags again until we land in the USA. Will give them a ring though to double check.
Jfuller is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 09, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post

we have booked BA flights from glasgow to gatwick as part of the package and i'm pretty sure we get the same luggage allowance on the BA flights as with VA. As far as not seeing your bags you will most likely need to colect and re-check them in at heathrow, but on the way back Virgin will check them in to your final destination
Old 17 Jan 09, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks. It was all booked at the same time with transfers being part of the holiday package with Virgin. So I presume we will check in at Manchester and then not see our bags again until we land in the USA. Will give them a ring though to double check.
There is a bit of a debate as to whether you'll get your bags checked right through when going BA/VA on the outbound journey.

I've had it done, others not and the BA exec club say as VA are not a partner airline they won't check the bags right through.
It seems that it depends on who you get at check-in or bag drop-off so speak nicely to them.

Your luggage receipts you get handed at check-in will have the MCO flight details on them if they have been checked through, otherwise it'll just say LGW.

Coming back VA always seem to manage to check your luggage through, although make sure you ask.

None of this affects your allowance which will be the VA one.

The BA policy for connecting flights is at the bottom of this page which confirms this.
Old 17 Jan 09, 04:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Jfuller
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Jakey rowling View Post
None of this affects your allowance which will be the VA one.

The BA policy for connecting flights is at the bottom of this page which confirms this.
Thanks again. Just got off the phone to the Virgin UK Call Centre who confirmed the above that BA will honour Virgin's baggage allowance.
Old 17 Jan 09, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
Thanks again. Just got off the phone to the Virgin UK Call Centre who confirmed the above that BA will honour Virgin's baggage allowance.
Yes, that's right - my sister just did the same thing for her flights Manchester - Heathrow - Ottawa with BMI & Air Canada. As long as it's booked on the same ticket the higher allowance applies. Otherwise you're stuck with the lower limit.

It's also true though that BA's cabin baggage allowance is 23kg with a size limit to fit in an overhead locker, so anything small and heavy can go in your cabin bags if you're worried.

Can you imagine lifting 23kg into an overhead locker?
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 09, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread