Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Jul 12, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
gibbsie22
Trying for More Ears

Right,here we go...

Hi all...3 weeks to plan a holiday argggghhhhhh I'll warn you all I've got a few questions as it's been a fair while since we went so thanks in advance! Myself and my wife got married just four weeks ago and we asked for money to put towards a honeymoon so we're trying to put together a Disneymoon for the beginning of August. My wife (still new to saying that!) teaches so we're going in the school hols around August 4th hopefully for two and a half weeks and we're going the DIY route as a package didn't give us what we wanted - we're looking to do a few days at one of the DTD hotels then the rest on I-Drive so we're after a few recommendations please.

The first question I've got is flight-related - we're looking at flights from Gatwick and they say they've got a technical stop at Charlotte Douglas - 2hrs on the way out and 1hr 15 on the way back - does this mean we just transfer planes and they take care of the baggage etc and is this long enough for us to change over?

Secondly for the DTD hotel we've looked at the Hilton,the Buena Vista Palace and the Holiday Inn - has anyone stayed there recently? All sound pretty good based on reviews on here and on tripadvisor and we love the location but are unsure which one to go for (EMH with the Hilton might swing it but the Buena Vista Palace looks slightly nicer).

Thirdly (sorry!) any views on the Sheraton Four Points at the top of I-Drive? Looks pretty good and does shuttle to most parks - just wondering if it's walkable to Citywalk as we might venture out for a few nights out there

Thanks again and there might be more questions as we're hurriedly trying to get this booked in the next few days - no chance of 180 day ADRs!
gibbsie22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 12, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

I can do your first one.

As its Charlotte I'm assuming it's US Airways. You'll be changing planes, collecting your bags and clearing immigration and customs. You'll then drop your bags for the second, domestic flight. Means it will be less hassle in Orlando.
On the way back your bags will be checked through.

The times should be okay providing your flights are on time.
Loftus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 12, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
gibbsie22
Trying for More Ears

excellent - thanks Loftus! You've put our minds at rest!
gibbsie22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 12, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Firstly CONGRATULATIONS on your marriage

Your first question is answered!

Second question i'm sure someone will be along!

Third question - Yes it's a nice hotel! My aunt stayed there a couple of years back and loved it. I think it depends on your definition of walkable...but I wouldn't say so.

Have a fantastic time! So jealous! lol x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 12, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Goofy's Buddy
Excited about Disney

Answer to question 3 is the hotel is great - stayed there a few years back and met Eddie Murphy in the lift!
Goofy's Buddy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 12, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Yorkie Girl
Imagineer

Yorkie Girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
I've not stayed at Sheraton Four Points but it's within walking distance of CityWalk
(as long as you don't mind walking anyway - I would certainly walk it! It'd probably take 15 minutes)
Yorkie Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 12, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
HazelDK
Excited about Disney

HazelDK's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
:)

Thirdly (sorry!) any views on the Sheraton Four Points at the top of I-Drive? Looks pretty good and does shuttle to most parks - just wondering if it's walkable to Citywalk as we might venture out for a few nights out there

In relation to your question. It does shuttles to all of the parks. (except DC and BG which you get from Seaworld)
it is walkable to citywalk (25 mins with a brisk walk across a paved bridge- you will get to meet lots of little geckos on your walk ) I didnt have a problem doing this walk in daylight and it is a good time to tan, but night-time, you may wish to get a cab back.

Whilst my hubby (new to it too lol) is very intimidating, we are a little apprehensive walking back very late as it isnt lit that well. But perhaps try it once and see how you feel. You could always carry some pepper spray or something (just in case) and I am pretty sure (99%) you will be fine.

We have stayed at this hotel twice and we love the rooms, we love the bathrooms, the top floors mean you dont get much noise, the views are fantastic and... you are at the trolley stop at the top of the i-drive which means usually it isnt toooooo busy to get a seat.

We have stayed at Quality Inn Plaza, Best Western movieland (next door to sheraton) and Four points and Four points was our fave- we are trying somewhere else this year with the rent in laws (god help me!) Their pool is ok and they have a laundry room if you want to wear your clothes more than once

ENJOY!

Not long now... Getting excited.
Old 17 Jul 12, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Second question

We have stayed at the BVP 3 or 4 times, the most recent in 2009. It's a very nice hotel with it's principle selling point being proximity to Downtown Disney. It's a bit closer re. walking distance than the Hilton, but I haven't stayed there so can't compare facilities.

We usually stayed at Christmas, so we could walk to Pleasure Island for the New Years eve concerts. I think there are better hotels in the LBV area, but if location to Downtown Disney is key, then I'd happily recommend BVP
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 12, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
gibbsie22
Trying for More Ears

Sorry for the late reply! Thanks all so much for all the info (and many congrats HazelDK ) We pulled a late nighter last night and have done the same tonight and finally made our minds up - so many choices! We've booked it all separately to get exactly what we wanted - we're booked in for 7 nights at BVP (hoping to catch the Lynx from the airport to save a bit of money) then 13 nights at the Four Points (think DW is hoping to meet Eddie Murphy ) so thanks for all the advice!

It's a far cry from when we last went in 2003 - we stayed at Days Inn Lakeside for £450 for two weeks - we barely got half a flight for that this time! I think the Days Inn was demolished as well which says something about the state of it when we stayed there so we're so looking forward to these hotels. We've been going round in circles trying to save cash and in the end thought we might as well just go for it as it's the honeymoon and we won't be going for quite a few years after this!

Thanks again all - I'll have some funnel cake for you!
Old 20 Jul 12, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
minimandymouse
Very Serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by gibbsie22 View Post
Sorry for the late reply! Thanks all so much for all the info (and many congrats HazelDK ) We pulled a late nighter last night and have done the same tonight and finally made our minds up - so many choices! We've booked it all separately to get exactly what we wanted - we're booked in for 7 nights at BVP (hoping to catch the Lynx from the airport to save a bit of money) then 13 nights at the Four Points (think DW is hoping to meet Eddie Murphy ) so thanks for all the advice!

It's a far cry from when we last went in 2003 - we stayed at Days Inn Lakeside for £450 for two weeks - we barely got half a flight for that this time! I think the Days Inn was demolished as well which says something about the state of it when we stayed there so we're so looking forward to these hotels. We've been going round in circles trying to save cash and in the end thought we might as well just go for it as it's the honeymoon and we won't be going for quite a few years after this!

Thanks again all - I'll have some funnel cake for you!
Hi
What are your dates we will be at the Four Points from the 28th August for 3 days
Mandy
Xxx
minimandymouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread