Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Apr 12, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Copper
Getting Excited

Where do you start with DIY?

Hi we are hopefully planning for first ever florida trip for 2014
I have been reading about diy and i think it might be best for us as we are on a tight budget.
These late deal flight prices i have seen on websites just now for under £300 return do they happen every year?
If so and you planned to use them how on earth do you plan the rest of the holiday like villa and car hire if you don't have specific date or flight times?

Or do you wait till you have the flights and then hope you can get these other things last minute?
Are £300ish flights unheard of booking in advance?

sorry loads of questions hope this is correct place to ask
Copper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 12, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

I always find it simple...

Pick a date range...

Find a Villa or Hotel... Start playing around with dates to try and see if its cheaper the week before, week later... start date mid week etc...

Then look for the flights... do the same with the flights... find the cheapest days..

Then work out the cheapest combi's for flights and hotel and see if the figures work out.

Car hire tends to be the same week by week if peak / off peak.

Then... when your ready... book flights.. book villa hotel... book car hire or hang on for a deal... or book a car hire with a 48 hour cancellation policy to give you a "safe zone" if prices go up.

Simple... jobs a good one !

ps... decide what you want from your holiday and location... ie close, bus, car, hotel, villa, private pool...

I have done last minute holidays in the past and GOT some good deals... but these holidays are "I WILL" go anywhere as long as its 4* / 5* resorts, works out well but you cant set your heart on going to a certain place.

If you hung around to the last minute for a late Orlando flight you could get a good deal, but the tables could turn and you could be out priced... its pot look... on a positive, there's so many hotels and Villas you will always find somewhere to stay.
Cheers

Edited at 10:26 PM.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 12, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Kazeroo
Excited about Disney

I always get my flights first - then it's easier for everything to slot around those.
Kazeroo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 12, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by karenpowley View Post
I always get my flights first - then it's easier for everything to slot around those.
I agree with this. You will always find accommodation somewhere even booking late. The flights are the thing you can save the most cash on and even moving a day one way or the other can make a lot of difference to the price.

There are some exceptionally good late deals this year, I wouldn't bank on this happening every year. Some months are better than others for deals but I would be wary of hanging on for a late deal unless you can be pretty flexible with your dates.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Apr 12, 01:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by karenpowley View Post
..just remember if its a villa you want they work on either a monday start or sunday start so you need to find this out first then see what flights you can get to suit this point ...
Old 7 Apr 12, 06:27 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by kiptic View Post
..just remember if its a villa you want they work on either a monday start or sunday start so you need to find this out first then see what flights you can get to suit this point ...
I think the majority of owner operated villas like us accept bookings starting any day of the week. It may be different with some agency villas. Sometimes guest stay for odd durations if they are visiting the beach etc. Flying indirect might be cheaper sliding the dates for a 13,15,20,22 days duration.

Alison
Old 8 Apr 12, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by kiptic View Post
I have never had a problem with bespoke days. To keep costs down we never fly weekends and it has never even come up in conversation with the villa owner.
Old 6 Apr 12, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
traceyt
Imagineer

I check the day flights are going - this year I'm flying from bristol so it's a sunday, then book my hotel to get the free ddp. I usually wait until a couple of weeks before departure to book the flights and usually get a good price - it is a bit nerve racking, but is usually well worth it for the price. everything else I just spread out in the months before we go so that I can pay for something each month - insurance, coach transfers, airport parking etc.
Old 6 Apr 12, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
suecleve
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by traceyt View Post
I check the day flights are going - this year I'm flying from bristol so it's a sunday, then book my hotel to get the free ddp. I usually wait until a couple of weeks before departure to book the flights and usually get a good price - it is a bit nerve racking, but is usually well worth it for the price. everything else I just spread out in the months before we go so that I can pay for something each month - insurance, coach transfers, airport parking etc.

Crikey Tracey... Can't believe you are brave enough to do this! Do you have a Plan B if the Bristol flight is full?

I personally couldnt stand the stress of not knowing if the flight was full, as there is only one per week.

Hat's off to you!

International Inn - I Drive 1989+ Comfort Inn - I Drive 1991 +Bridgwater Crossing 2009 +Calabay Parc 2010 & 2012 + Silver Creek 2015 + Formosa Gardens 2017
October 2018 - Indian Ridge
suecleve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 12, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
traceyt
Imagineer

Manchester is also flying on a sunday. I must confess tho I work for Thomsons, so am able to check exactly how many seats are left! I drive everyone mad in work and they all end up begging me to book as they're so stressed about it!