Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 12 Jan 16, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Our Grumpy1
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 27
Currently going through the formal diagnosis process with an adult family member, he's 53 .
As with MargaretMouse he was having CBT and the counsellor said he was on the spectrum. He then told the counsellor he'd had a SPLD assesment a couple of months earlier highlighting dyslexia and dyspraxia, the CBT counsellor advised getting in touch with The National Autistic Society (NAS). The NAS sent out literature, and a questionnaire for him to complete and take to his GP. His GP was supportive and made the referral for formal diagnosis but as Adult services are limited the wait has been long, although he is now on the official waiting list.
Him being on the spectrum has not come as a surprise, in fact it has put a lot of things into perspective. As MargaretMouse has said, a formal diagnosis hasnt changed who she is nor would it change who he is, but closure will help him and all who love him move forward.

To the OP, if you have seen your GP I hope they have been supportive.
Take care x

Edited at 03:15 PM. Reason: Inserted the word 'who'
Our Grumpy1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 16, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post

My husband is on the Spectrum he was diagnosed a year ago at almost 40. And we are in the process of getting my eldest daughter diagnosed.

Firstly he went for diagnosis to help get the Drs to take our concern about our daughter seriously as without a genetic link they were refusing to even consider it.

But he says it's the best thing he's ever done. He feels it has in some way validated a lot of he's feelings, that it makes it easier for him to do what he need to in terms of space without feeling wrong or guilty. It has made him push himself to confront things but only at the right times.

He controls his moods, frustration and depression much more now. Because he can identify his triggers and has coping strategies that he's aware of and uses.

As a couple our marriage is stronger as I understand more and don't set him up to fail with unfair expectations. I also don't see when he needs space or is focused on a special interest as a snub or that it means we aren't in a good place.

I'd say if you think you are then go for it. It's an emotional process where you really look at yourself. But for us it's been totally worth it.

In suffolk where we are from. You contact your Gp they send you a very large form which you return. This goes to pre assessment within 6 months you have a pre assessment conversation based on the form. Providing they feel theres enough evidence from here you wait Upto another 6 months for a proper diagnosis meeting. We got told at the end of that session but the Dr said for some people it's 2-3 visits basically until they are sure they've seen enough to diagnose either way.

I have been told that different counties handle the process differently but this is our experience.

I would advise you take husband with you to the diagnosis meeting as I went with Hubbie and the Dr said it was helpful as some things he didn't realise he did and I was able to say he did and give him examples of situations which my husband then accepted that he did. The Dr said this gave a more rounded view of my husband and therefore helped with diagnosis. I also learnt the language the dr used to discribe certain aspects of the disorder and the reactions it can cause which using at home helps us stay non emotive when we discuss an issue.

I hope this post helps you.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 16, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
princess pixie
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for all the replies, its helped a lot, went to dr 2 weeks ago to get it started and been referred to get diagnosed, in for a long wait i think

It has in a way clarified things for me, i am struggling with daily meltdowns but am trying hard to control them and knowing the triggers which set me off.

Been told the adult services in the area are not good for autism so will see if anything comes of it, just want to get a diagnosis as have struggled a lot over the years and this will help understand why i am the way i am if you see what i mean.

October 2007 - Windsor Hills (First Trip)
October 2009 - Tuscan Hills Villa
October 2010 - 2 Weeks in Florida
October 2012 - 10 Days in Florida
June/July 2013 - 2 Weeks in Florida
October 2014 - 3 Weeks in Florida
princess pixie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 16, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Our Grumpy1
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by princess pixie View Post
Thanks for all the replies, its helped a lot, went to dr 2 weeks ago to get it started and been referred to get diagnosed, in for a long wait i think

It has in a way clarified things for me, i am struggling with daily meltdowns but am trying hard to control them and knowing the triggers which set me off.

Been told the adult services in the area are not good for autism so will see if anything comes of it, just want to get a diagnosis as have struggled a lot over the years and this will help understand why i am the way i am if you see what i mean.
I have been thinking of you and wondering how things had gone with your GP. Thank you for the update.

Since my last post our GP has made a re-referral to a different assessment centre in another area as its taken over 5 months just to reach the waiting list at the nearest centre. (Although niether centre is near to us, and both a couple of hours away)

Our GP has said anyone she has referred to Adult Autism services have said it was a positive experience, which is good to hear.
Old 28 Jan 16, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
jen10
Excited about Disney

Im so glad you have started the process of getting a diagnosis, what area do you live in, as there may be an "autism one stop" type support centre nearby, where you can get on going support put in place? If we can help find you somewhere local it won't take away your asd but it could really transform your life by supporting you to understand why you do / feel what you do and how to deal with stress etc
jen10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 16, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
princess pixie
Apprentice Imagineer

Another update:

Heard back from dr that there is no asperger assessments in this area for adults and there is no pathway so am pushing for a 2nd opinion and this will have to be out of area, had to revisit the dr to state my case and why i want it diagnosed, been told the waiting list out of area is 2-3 years but dr suggested more luck going furthur south as they have better pathways, waiting to see if i even get referred out of area so going to be a longer wait than i though

Yes there is a one stop shop which im finding helpful and been offered the chance to attend a monthly women's group

October 2007 - Windsor Hills (First Trip)
October 2009 - Tuscan Hills Villa
October 2010 - 2 Weeks in Florida
October 2012 - 10 Days in Florida
June/July 2013 - 2 Weeks in Florida
October 2014 - 3 Weeks in Florida
princess pixie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 16, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Our Grumpy1
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by princess pixie View Post
Another update:

Heard back from dr that there is no asperger assessments in this area for adults and there is no pathway so am pushing for a 2nd opinion and this will have to be out of area, had to revisit the dr to state my case and why i want it diagnosed, been told the waiting list out of area is 2-3 years but dr suggested more luck going furthur south as they have better pathways, waiting to see if i even get referred out of area so going to be a longer wait than i though

Yes there is a one stop shop which im finding helpful and been offered the chance to attend a monthly women's group
Thank you for updating us, I'm sorry to hear of the delays and complications you are having, it really adds to the anxiety of what is already a stressful situation, if you have a good GP they will understand this.

Today we discovered our redirected referral to another area cannot be accepted due recent changes in area boundaries and due to existing workload.
If we'd not chased this up we wouldn't have known for some time as unfortunately this 'revised' criteria has not yet been filtered through to the GP. (The GP has been so kind and supportive)
We're currently making enquires about private referrals, and have discovered private assessors who also deal with NHS referrals.
However we're unsure how much recognition is given to a private diagnoses.

As it was a private psychologist who recommended a formal diagnosis anyway, we assumed they meant via NHS.
Old 29 Feb 16, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread