Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Apr 12, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Hotel Recomendations in Boston

Hi all,

Just trying to do a basic plan for our hols for next year. We will be doing 5 nights in Boston and wont be driving.

What hotels have other dibbers enjoyed and why? At the moment we havent planned anything

Lisa
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 12, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post

First thing to mention is that hotels in Boston are notoriously expensive so be prepared for that. We have stayed in the Sheraton Boston twice now and love it. It is attached the to the Prudential Center so has shops and restaurants galore on the doorstep including a Cheesecake Factory. For breakfast you have Dunkin Donuts and Au Bon Pain right opposite each other (or at least you did on our last visit) so basically you will never go hungry.
It is located in the Back Bay area where there is a big concentration of hotels, the Hilton is right opposite and the Westin is just a short walk away so it is always busy, especially as the Convention Center is there also. You are minutes from Newbury Street and a nice walk up to Boston Common. Fenway is in the other direction and easily walkable, in fact pretty much the whole city is walkable from the Sheraton but if you do get tired there is a T stop at the Prudential Center.
The rooms are typical Sheraton, luxury but not over the top. The views are spectacular, there is a pool and the service is top notch. Last time we were upgraded free of charge to a suite and were surprised to receive cheese, biscuits and wine from room service again free of charge about an hour after we checked in. Outstanding service.

I would happily book there again next time we visit Boston. It is an outstanding city.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 12, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

We stayed at the Fairmont Copley Plaza, which is one of the best hotels in Boston, lots of stars and presidents have stayed there. It was expensive and what I can only describe as the Tower of Terror before the lightening hit...

It was absolutely beautiful and wonderfully placed, however if you are thinking of splurging... ask for a room away from the road, it gets very noisy.

If budget wont stretch... you must eat there at the Oak Room the best and most famous Steak Restaurant its absolutely fab !

Boston is the most wonderful place and so surreal, hope you have fun.

We hope to go back again one day. xx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 12, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ju_itfc View Post
First thing to mention is that hotels in Boston are notoriously expensive so be prepared for that. We have stayed in the Sheraton Boston twice now and love it. It is attached the to the Prudential Center so has shops and restaurants galore on the doorstep including a Cheesecake Factory. For breakfast you have Dunkin Donuts and Au Bon Pain right opposite each other (or at least you did on our last visit) so basically you will never go hungry.
It is located in the Back Bay area where there is a big concentration of hotels, the Hilton is right opposite and the Westin is just a short walk away so it is always busy, especially as the Convention Center is there also. You are minutes from Newbury Street and a nice walk up to Boston Common. Fenway is in the other direction and easily walkable, in fact pretty much the whole city is walkable from the Sheraton but if you do get tired there is a T stop at the Prudential Center.
The rooms are typical Sheraton, luxury but not over the top. The views are spectacular, there is a pool and the service is top notch. Last time we were upgraded free of charge to a suite and were surprised to receive cheese, biscuits and wine from room service again free of charge about an hour after we checked in. Outstanding service.

I would happily book there again next time we visit Boston. It is an outstanding city.
We have been looking at costs so hopefully we are prepared!

I will have a look at the Sheraton, sounds ideal.
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 12, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
We stayed at the Sheraton last year, and booked it through Hotwire for around £80/night (they only had two options in the Back Bay area identified through this site - The Sheraton and the Hilton at the time).

Have to admit that we were slightly disappointed with the hotel, mainly due to the large gaps around the doors which meant we could hear everyone who went past through the night - we ended up blocking the gaps with towels!

Location wise though we found it good - as noted above, next door to the Prudential Center with a Cheesecake Factory , plenty of restaurants and upscale shops on Boyleston Street, and only a 15 minute stroll to the Common or 30 minutes to the waterfront.

There are also a couple of subway stations nearby should you want to use them to get around.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 12, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post

I've stayed at the Sheraton too, and would definitely recommend it. As other posters have said, it's in a great location. If you haven't already, join the starwood preferred guests programme. It is free to join, and when we mentioned we were members we were given a free upgrade to a suite overlooking the river. Enjoy, Boston is a great city.
Old 6 Apr 12, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
athurstance
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I've just come back from Boston. I only stayed one night but I stayed at Hotel 140. It's in the Back Bay area so a very convenient location - I walked into the central area quite easily. It's a smallish hotel - it's an old convereted theatre/ ymca but well refurbished. Nice rooms, but on the small side. Very clean and totally non-smoking. The staff there were lovely and a very good free wifi signal throughout the hotel. They also stored my luggage for me on my last day which was very handy. I paid $140 for one night which was way cheaper than anything else I could find that I liked the look of. I'd definitely stay there again next time I'm in Boston.
athurstance is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 12, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post

I love the Marriott Copley square, fantastic location and we got a great deal staying there. Ask for a high room. Great views.

A real treat is the Boston Harbor Hotel, beautiful and luxurious.

My son recently stayed in the old jailhouse in Beacon Hill, The Liberty which is very trendy and defo the place to be seen.

Edited at 05:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 6 Apr 12, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by MissVincent View Post
Hi all,

Just trying to do a basic plan for our hols for next year. We will be doing 5 nights in Boston and wont be driving.

What hotels have other dibbers enjoyed and why? At the moment we havent planned anything

Lisa
We have the boston westin waterfront booked for our 3 days there, looks really nice and price was good.
Old 7 Apr 12, 03:47 PM  
Link to this Post
alijolly
Imagineer

OUr favourite hotel is in the Back Bay area and we have been back 3 times now, it is the Back Bay Hotel (formerly Jurys). We walked just about everywhere from there. It was the former police station and still has the stone carving on the top of the building. We have always found the staff really helpful and friendly there and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. We have often found good deals there either through BA hotels or Expedia.

Edited at 03:49 PM.
alijolly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread