Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Aug 16, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
catalunya
Excited about Disney

Surprising my parents with a wedding...

Hi all,

Bit of an unusual one - my Dad's partner (practically my mother) made a comment about how they'd be happy to get married abroad without anyone there etc and said 'Why not do it in Florida next year'

Since then we haven't spoken about it, but I was hoping of kinda of organizing a wedding ceremony as a surprise... From what I have read on this fourm, I take it this could be kinda doable, if they were ok with a courthouse wedding;

1. Fill in the form in advance using all the info I know about them, I have copies of their passports, know where their birth certificates are etc (...would this be possible?)
2. Buy them both an outfit and some rings, hide them in our suitcases.
3. Fly out to Florida
4. On the right day, surprise them with the form and the knowledge of the courthouse, outfits etc.
5. Get her some flowers
6. Get them married
7. Back to Disney for an awesome meal on the DDP.

If they decide not to do it, I haven't lost much money as we wouldn't need to pay for the courthouse until the day..?

Now, apart from photographers etc, does the above sound feasible?!

Any advice from those of you who married over there would be welcome!

Thanks all!
POR - May 2015 | DLP Newport Bay - Nov 2016 | SSR - May 2017 | Surprise BC upgrade! - Dec 2018 | ASM & SFR - Nov 2021 | PFB & CBR - Sept 2022 | POP & DCL Magic - June 2023 | PFB - Sept 2023 | DCL Dream - Dec 2023 | Universal - May 2024
catalunya is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 16, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

This sounds a lovely idea but my concerns would be would they be happy having no control over what is such a personal day.

I'm not sure how I would feel if someone else chose where and when I got married and what clothes I wore or what wedding rings we had.

If it was all in place already, how easy would it be for someone by then to easily say it's not really what I would want myself.

Do you think it could have been mentioned to sound you out for how you would feel if they got married away on their own? Having gone away to get married on our own I know how difficult a decision it was knowing its affect it would have on others back home.

That's only my take. Others have different views. But having gone to Florida on our own to get married without any fuss I may be coming at this from another angle perhaps,.

You say no one has mentioned it since it was first mentioned. Is there any way you can bring it up to see if it's something they really want and try to help them arrange what they would like for their day?

Edited at 10:50 PM.
ROBBOTOO is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 16, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

It really is a lovely gesture but I kinda agree with pp, you've got to plan your own wedding really. Why not make a scrapbook/ Pinterest board and invite them over for a meal/reveal of the idea? X

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 16, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
NYBride2be
Proud to wear my Ears

They need to be present to obtain the marriage licence as they need to sign the form and also swear something on the bible (I can't remember what it was now!)
I wouldn't organise a wedding for someone as a surprise... part of the whole wedding excitement is picking your dress, the rings, picking out the flowers etc
NYBride2be is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 16, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread