Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 24 Feb 12, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
BriarRose
Imagineer

The sushi looks yum and beautifully presented. Cocktails don't look too bad either!

I'm going to be really thick and ask a daft question, what is the pink item on the plate. I thought at first it was smoked salmon, but assuming its not as it was a veggie meal ... can you enlighten me please?

1998,1999,2001,2004 I Drive, 2005,2006 Pop Century, 2007 Newport Bay DLP, 2010, 2012 OKW 2013, 2014, 2015 SSR, 2016 Portofino Bay & IDrive
BriarRose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 12, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
That sushi and tempura looks gorgeous, I'm very allergic to shrimps so have to be very careful when eating sushi in case the chef has cross contaminated when preparing shrimp so I tend to stick to veggie versions. The cocktails look yummy too and I'm not allergic to those! Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 12, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
I've never eaten tempura but I really fancy it, definitely going to try it this year, think i've seen it on one of the menus in AK...your P.S. made me smile
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 12, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Su, you are weak, and the pull of Disney is strong... Repeat ten times before bed every night

Food looks great! I quite like the sound of Paul's interesting cocktail

The pink stuff does look like salmon! I'm guessing it might be pickled ginger... ?
Old 1 Mar 12, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by vikstar View Post
Hi Su

Kimonos looks great, that vegetable tempura looks delish. I wouldn't mind giving it a try to compare it to the Tempura at Tokyo Dining.

The drinks look good too. Vegetable tempura and Cosmos - sounds like a winning combination to me

So glad you've decided this won't be your last trip. I couldn't bear the thought either, I always need another trip on the horizon even if it is a long way off

Kimono’s tempura was very similar to the one at Tokyo Dining, Victoria. I’m trying to remember what the veggies were... mushroom, zucchini, asparagus, sweet potato, broccoli and cauliflower. I thought the cauliflower was a bit weird to be honest, but the asparagus was amazing!
Oh and the dipping sauce was nicer at Kimonos. Not sure what was in it, but it wasn’t whiffy

Originally Posted by BriarRose View Post
The sushi looks yum and beautifully presented. Cocktails don't look too bad either!

I'm going to be really thick and ask a daft question, what is the pink item on the plate. I thought at first it was smoked salmon, but assuming its not as it was a veggie meal ... can you enlighten me please?

Not daft at all Susan. It does look like smoked salmon. It’s actually pickled ginger. It has a refreshing, slightly sweet flavour and acts as a palate cleanser between bites. I love it. The quality can vary though I’ve found, the inferior stuff can taste a bit acidic, but this was the good stuff!

By the way, the green blob is wasabi. A kind of a horseradish mustard is the best way I can describe it. It’s extremely hot, but you don’t feel the heat so much on your tongue like you do chilli heat, you feel it in your sinus cavities.
The first time I tried wasabi there was a part of my brain (the stupid bit) telling me it was avocado and I took a big mouthful of it. That really made my eyes water!

Originally Posted by Pussycat Doll View Post
That sushi and tempura looks gorgeous, I'm very allergic to shrimps so have to be very careful when eating sushi in case the chef has cross contaminated when preparing shrimp so I tend to stick to veggie versions. The cocktails look yummy too and I'm not allergic to those! Pussycat

Cross contamination must be such a worry if you have a serious allergy, Pussycat. The veggie versions are surprisingly tasty aren’t they? I hadn’t realised there was such a thing until a few years ago. Just always assumed that sushi = fish.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 12, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Juliemack View Post
I've never eaten tempura but I really fancy it, definitely going to try it this year, think i've seen it on one of the menus in AK...your P.S. made me smile

Didn’t take me very long to weaken did it Juilie?

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Su, you are weak, and the pull of Disney is strong... Repeat ten times before bed every night

Food looks great! I quite like the sound of Paul's interesting cocktail

The pink stuff does look like salmon! I'm guessing it might be pickled ginger... ?

I’m going to whisper that mantra to Paul while he’s sleeping, Karen.

With enough subliminal messaging he might wake up one morning with fantastic idea. Let’s book a holiday to Disney!

Think I better do double, just to make sure.
Old 1 Mar 12, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Picabu - Dolphin Hotel

I like Picabu. It’s always clean, usually quiet and the servers are friendly and helpful. The food is pretty good too.

We’d spent a couple of hours at the pool and on the way back to our room we popped by Picabu to pick up some lunch.

Cheeseburger and Fries!

It’s been ages since I last had a "proper" burger. If we have a burger at home I tend to use Quornburgers. I’m quite happy with a Quornburger usually, but today I fancied the taste of a big fat meaty beef burger!
You can't really see the burger under all that cheese, but it was absolutely delicious, really fresh and juicy. It totally satisfied those carnivorous cravings I was having.

Paul’s Veggieburger (on the left) had a good char-grilled flavour and he was pleased to find it was a soy burger. He prefers those to the vegetable-y ones Disney serve now.

Oh and while we are on the subject of healthy food...
Here’s one of the cinnamon buns we had for breakfast. Again, from Picabu. Very nice it was too - fresh and warm with lots of icing.

Old 1 Mar 12, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Wolfgang Puck Express - Downtown Disney Marketplace

No food report would be complete without a few photos from the fabulous Wolfgang Puck Express.

I was excited to see an old favourite of mine back on the menu...

BBQ Chicken Salad – Sliced pan roasted chicken breast tossed in sweet and tangy BBQ sauce, romaine lettuce, tomato, red onions, and cucumbers with Ranch dressing.

Paul quickly found an old fave too – roasted veggie sandwich served with sweet potato fries.

Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with buffalo mozzarella, pesto, vegetable tapenade, lettuce, tomato, and horseradish cream with sweet potato fries.

We’d spent the morning shopping and on the way back to home to Saratoga Springs we stopped by WPE to pick up some sandwiches for lunch.
Another roasted veggie one for Paul and a turkey and cheese one for me. We asked for some extra horseradish cream on the side. It makes a great dip for those scrummy sweet potato fries.

Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with buffalo mozzarella, pesto, vegetable tapenade, lettuce, tomato, and horseradish cream with sweet potato fries.

Warm Turkey Melt - cheddar, caramelized onions, arugula, port wine sauce and horseradish cream with sweet potato fries.

We were at the pool enjoying a few hours of much needed rest and relaxation when feelings of hunger started creeping up on us. After a quick discussion we decided that a light, tasty lunch at WPE would be ideal.
But we also decided that were not ready to leave the pool just yet. The weather had been unusually unkind to us on this holiday (I’ve never seen so much rain in October!) and I’d been missing out on important pool time. Today the weather was beautiful and I didn’t want to move from my sun bed.
Paul came up with the perfect solution. He would nip down to Wolfie’s to get us some take-away.

He returned 20 minutes later with a refreshing Greek salad for himself and one of salmon with fennel and potatoes for me. I raved over this salmon dish last year and it was just as good as I remembered. We had some fresh baked choc chip cookies for dessert and a bottle of orange juice to drink. Very nicely fed and watered we were able to relax by the pool for another couple of hours. Bliss!

Greek Salad - Feta, tomatoes, cucumbers, Kalamata olives, peppers and creamy yogurt dressing.

Oven Roasted Salmon with fennel, tomatoes, arugula, onions, roasted potatoes, tomato vinaigrette and horseradish cream.

Here’s another one of our poolside take-away lunches from WPE. Food in a plastic container doesn't look as pretty as it would on a plate, but it can taste just as delicious!
Paul enjoyed a salad made with fresh juicy oranges, beetroot and goat’s cheese and I had that tasty salmon dish again.

Roasted Beets Salad – Beets, goat cheese, oranges, fresh greens, candied pecans and balsamic.

Oven Roasted Salmon with fennel, tomatoes, arugula, onions, roasted potatoes, tomato vinaigrette and horseradish cream.

Old 1 Mar 12, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
i still haven't made it to wpe but seeing those salads i really must make it there in December!
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 12, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Ooh definitely have to try WPE! Everything looks delicious, even in the plastic containers! Really enjoying this report!