Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 1 Feb 08, 01:49 AM  
Link to this Post

I have just got back after 18 days and we have used a UK blue badge constantly in the parks ,walmarts,golden coral,outlets and had No problems.

We asked disney if the UK blue badge was ok to use and they said its fine, we parked in the disabled bay at mgm in front of a cop car and he saw us put the uk blue badge up and again no problems.

Like i have said we have used the blue badge on a number of occasions over the last 6 visits and had never heard that you need to pay for a florida blue badge.

I am not disagreeing with anyone on here but we asked the parks and they said No problem at all using the uk blue badge.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 08, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post

Have blue badge for daughter, so to get the tag... take blue badge... her passport... but the id with address... what would be acceptable? Would say a letter to her from her college be ok? Letter from a hopsital something like that? She doesn't get utility bills of course as she lives with us heh .

What have others used?

Thanks for advice, always used blue badge before.

Regards Dave
Old 6 Feb 08, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
sunsetlakes
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by jcjcjc View Post
Do we charge the yanks when there disabled people come over ? I think its all wrong

We have just returned from Florida - I don't think its the people over there that are enforcing this rather the authorities. I have a blue badge over here and did NOT purchase a different one to use Stateside, we asked in a number of shops, ie: Walmart, ToysRus, Florida Mall, Disney & were told that we could park in disabled bays with our UK blue permit - which we did with no problem. I'm not saying you can park anywhere in the US with it or what their actual laws are but if you havent applied for one by the time you go and need to park somewhere just take the initial few minutes to ask the store or car park attendant - they are human and all were happy to help us
sunsetlakes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 08, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Moderator's message.

This thread is for information about how to access disabled parking in Florida.
Please can we all stick to the topic some posts have been removed.
Old 7 Feb 08, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Money Order

My DH has a blue badge and I want to apply for the US tag but where do I get a money order, I have asked at several places and noboby seems to know, help!
Old 7 Feb 08, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Stedman5 View Post
My DH has a blue badge and I want to apply for the US tag but where do I get a money order, I have asked at several places and noboby seems to know, help!
Where do you plan using the blue badge if its at the parks or walmart,premium outlets then you should be ok with just the Uk blue badge.
Old 7 Feb 08, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post

You can get an international money order from the Post Office or from your bank, however there is a (quite considerable) charge for this. This is the safest way to send payment if you don't want to use a credit card.

They have asked that you do not send cash, however for $15 against a £20 charge for a $US money order, you might consider it worth the risk. I have to confess I did send cash this time and all was well, the tag arrived 3 weeks later.

If you apply in person at one of the tax collector's offices you can pay with cash, travellers cheques, credit or debit card.

Edited at 10:10 PM.
Old 8 Feb 08, 01:33 AM  
Link to this Post
SimonV
Apprentice Imagineer

Urgent Up-date:

We at the Brit's Guide have recently had a note from the Osceola Tax Office, via the Kissimmee CVB that they have to request that people do NOT send cash with their applications as this is causing all kinds of problems. They have been able to fill some applications like this but they will not be able to do so in future as their system is just not set up to receive cash (plus, it is also a security issue for their offices if they are getting cash in the mail).

Also, they need to point out applications should only be sent up to THREE MONTHS in advance (they are receiving requests up to a year in advance); anything more than that is putting a strain on their system.

Here is the full message from the Kissimmee CVB:

"The Osceola Tax Collectors Office has received quite a number of requests for the handicap placards with cash. They have asked us, through you, to see if you can get the word out that they can only accept a US-issued money order or a credit card number. Also, they can issue them for 90 days but are receiving requests for 6 months and up to a year in advance. She said once they receive, they promptly process and send out thus taking 2-3 weeks for applicants to receive. Could you assist us, please?"
SimonV is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 08, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for the update Simon.

I think they need to look at the whole issue of payment and the application process. I was quoted varying amounts for a $US money order, which is not the easiest thing to come by for a start, a cost of up to £22.50. For a $15 (under £8) fee that's excessive. It seems very unfair that a service which is free here could end up costing visitors over £30 per trip by the time you factor in postage.

Some people have reported being told that a tag would be replaced free of charge for repeat visitors, others are having to pay several times a year as they are only valid for 90 days. This will be our second in a year. Meanwhile other Brits are reporting still being able to use their UK blue badge without any problems.

Lots of UK visitors arrive when offices are closed so do not have the option to apply in person even if they could be bothered to find a location to do so after a long haul flight. There was talk of an arrangement with car hire firms for tags to be processed at the airports. Any news on that?

Firms which hire accessible vehicles also loan a tag free of charge, surely it would not be too difficult to extend this to all hire firms.
Old 20 Feb 08, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Again I am confused, I have asked both disney and universal and seaworld,Busch Gardens,they accept the UK disabled blue badge, also at walmart and walgreens, so why do people in the uk need to buy a special permit ? if they are only going to these places ?

is the permit just for travelling outside of orlando ?
Closed Thread

Tags
blue badge, disabled parking