Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Jul 14, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by technium View Post
Thanks for letting us know, I hope its not a new policy.

Slightly related, we're staying on I-Drive near Maccy D's and wondered where the nearest bank is to get our TCs cashed?

thanks

You should be able to use travellers cheques like currency. Example give them a $20 cheque and they will give you the relevant change. Shouldn't be a requirement to go to the bank to get them cashed.

We have not used them for a very long time but did use them the first few years we went to the states in the late 80's early 90's. We had a $100 that kicked around in the back of the travel wallet for a few years until I persuaded my hubby he should get rid of it buying me a handbag

You may need to carry photo id to be able to cash them.

Alison
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 14, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
FAMILY JACK
Excited about Disney

Used them this year the only places I had difficulty were running shop at dtd and game-stop no problems in any restaurants or Walmart all disney parks were fine.

Still like this better than a card feels safer no hassle to go to bank machines used fair fx before and found it a plaster, would rather put up with a few rejections.
Old 28 Jul 14, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
joandwayne
VIP Dibber

joandwayne's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 20
Haven't used TC for years. We now use a combination of actual currency/cash and a prepaid currency card. The card is brilliant and would totally recommend it. TC are very much dated now.

AKL, Walt Disney World, July 2017, AKL, Walt Disney World, August 2016, Washington DC, California (Disney) and New York, August 2015, AKL, Walt Disney World, August 2014, West Coast USA and Disney Aulani, Hawaii, August 2013, Old Key West, Walt Disney World, Oct 2012, West Coast USA, Aug 2011, New York, April 2011, May 2009, Port Orleans, Walt Disney World, Oct 2010, Disney Cruise, May 2010, POP Century, Walt Disney World, Nov 2008, May 2007, Oct 2005, Kissimee Oct 2003, Oct 1990
joandwayne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 14, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
alvin_purple
Very Serious Dibber

Back home now and managed to use all the TC's, although most were cashed in banks.

Few points to note -

Walmart seems to have introduced a new process for these. The normal 'just sign it' method doesn't work. One supervisor was able to make it work by going into a different screen and entering my passport number, then the till took the TC. But the vast majority of staff have no idea how to do this, so they've just put up the signs saying they don't take them anymore. Hopefully Walmart will improve staff training and start taking these again.

Most small shops in the Outlets and Malls don't take them at all.

Most of the larger stores still take them but they have to phone American Express to confirm the TC isn't forged. This takes a while and is probably the main reason people cant be bothered taking these.
A couple of stores took $50 checks without phoning.

Still OK in all theme parks, but younger staff will need assistance to put them through. Lost track of the number of staff who said 'I've been here 6 months and this is the first one I've seen'.

So basically still usable, especially in the theme parks. Just a bit more hassle.

Next time I go back it'll be cash and CC.
alvin_purple is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 14, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread