Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 6 Feb 12, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post

“Beef Ragout, Cheese Soufflé, Pie and Pudding en Flambé... ”

“Beef Ragout, Cheese Soufflé, Pie and Pudding en Flambé... ” Sept/Oct 2011

Well, as melodic and suitably enticing as that menu sounds (I’ll have the beef, he’ll have the cheese please) we didn’t actually eat any of those dishes. We didn’t even eat at Les Chefs de France.

But we did have some delicious dinners on our Disney holiday and I’d love to share some more of our food pics and experiences with you.

This was our 25th visit to Florida and we had decided it was definitely, definitely going to be the last. Mind you, we said that last year and the year before that, so we’ll see how that goes...

We started off with a stay at the Dolphin Hotel before moving on to Saratoga Springs, where we had the regular dining plan.

I had toothache for the first couple of days which scuppered a few plans, but once the pain settled down we were able to enjoy one of our favourite holiday pastimes. Eating!

Overall the food was really very good; apart from a few little hiccups here and there.

Right, I know you’re probably hungry (I always seem to be starving when I’m reading food reports) so without any further ado...

May I proudly present - Our Dinner! (or breakfast or lunch or snack...)

Here’s the list:

Sofitel Gatwick - Oriental Restaurant

Sofitel Gatwick – Room Service

Virgin Atlantic

Kouzzina - Breakfast

Bluezoo - Dinner

Kimonos – Sushi and Cocktails

Picabu - CS

Wolfgang Puck Express - CS

Grand Floridian Café – Lunch

Narcoossee’s - Dinner

Captain Cook’s - CS

Artist’s Palette - CS

Paddock Pool Bar - CS

Olivia’s - Dinner

Sanaa - Lunch

Epcot's Food & Wine Festival

California Grill – Dinner

Turf Club - Dinner x2

Tokyo Dining - Lunch

Yachtsman’s Steakhouse - Dinner

Brown Derby - Lunch

Artist Point - Dinner x2

Tutto Italia - Dinner

Citricos - Dinner

Kona Cafe – Lunch

Edited at 06:44 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 12, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Sofitel Gatwick - Oriental Restaurant

We almost always have our pre-flight meal at the Oriental Restaurant. I haven’t taken pictures for a while though as the tables are very close together and I’m not as comfortable with whipping out the camera at the dinner table here at home like I am in Florida.

Tonight though we ate early so it wasn't overly busy and we were seated at a table by the wall where we had a bit more privacy, so we felt brave enough to take a few sneaky pics.

To start with Paul had Vegetable Spring Rolls and I had Cantonese Spare Ribs.

Then we shared a selection of vegetarian dishes. We also had some Steamed Thai Fragrant Rice

Fragrant Braised Aubergines (very spicy)

Sugar Snap Peas with Cashew Nuts & Black Pepper

Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Curry with Bell Pepper & Baby Sweet Corn

Some of everything

The Oriental is quite expensive and the portions aren’t exactly generous but we always leave feeling relaxed and satisfied. As always the food was fresh and delicious and the service was very good.
NB We usually book a table when we check in to the hotel as the restaurant can get very busy.
Old 6 Feb 12, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post

Sofitel Gatwick – Room Service Breakfast

The buffet breakfast at the Sofitel is very good but I’ve become a very anxious flyer and the less people I have to see on the morning of the flight the better!

The room service option makes for a much more relaxed start to the day. Breakfast in bed feels more like a treat anyway - and it means I get my coffee sooner!

I’m not actually able to eat very much in the morning (did I mention the pre-flight anxiety?) so now we just order one breakfast and share it. There is plenty enough there. Cereal, fresh warm pastries and toast with honey, jam and marmalade. Cooked breakfast. Orange juice. Coffee.

The cooked breakfast consisted of two eggs with bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomato, beans and fried bread. I took off the bacon and sausage to have with a piece of toast and Paul enjoyed the rest.

Old 6 Feb 12, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Virgin Atlantic

Last year we justified the cost of flying PE because we were celebrating our Silver Wedding Anniversary. This year we justified the cost of flying PE because it was our last ever trip to Florida.

I wonder what the excuse will be next time. Oh wait a minute, there’s not going to be a next time. Is there?

We had pre-ordered meals for the outward journey Vegetarian for Paul and Low Sodium for me. The photo below is of the veggie meal. I don’t have a pic of mine, but I’m pretty sure that the mains actually were the same. A vegetable/lentil curry.
Paul thought his was OK, but I found mine completely inedible. So much for low sodium - it was one of the saltiest airline meals I have ever had in my life!

The stewardess offered to get me something else, but I wasn’t particularly hungry so just I asked her if I could have some cheese and biscuits as I had none on my tray.
I was expecting the usual pre-wrapped cheese portion, so I was pleasantly surprised when she brought me a nice selection of cheese and biscuits.
I shared with Paul as he didn’t have any cheese on his tray either. He had the biscuits but not the cheese.

Vegetarian Meal

We enjoyed our posh cheese plate and it more than made up for the horrid (allegedly) low-sodium meal.

We had an after dinner brandy and a bit later we recieved some ice cream.

A couple of hours before landing Paul got an egg mayo sandwich and a chocolate cookie and I was given a sad looking vegetable wrap and a bag of fruit.
Paul ate the wrap and the fruit (he’ll eat anything on the plane - it’s a boredom thing) and gave me one of his egg sandwiches.

I would not pre-order a meal in future. I think the regular meals are much better.

Return Journey

The food has always been awful on the return journey in my experience, so usually I just eat the cheese and biscuits and drink the wine.
The main meal looked nice today though (Ricotta stuffed pasta, the regular veggie option) and I was amazed to discover that tasted really nice too!

In the morning we both had the vegetarian breakfast – mushrooms, tomato, an omelettey thing and hash browns.

Edited at 04:56 PM.
Old 6 Feb 12, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I love to read food reports! Your Sofitel brekkie looks fab, all that for one person! Its a shame your outbound food was horrible, it looks lovely. Looking forward to the next instalment. Pussycat
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 12, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Flower2603
Imagineer

Flower2603's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 24
Ooh, I am so excited, love your food reports and can't wait for more!

August 2008 - All Star Sports/Tradewinds, St. Pete
Aug. 2010 - Beach Club/RPH Aug. 2012 - Beach Club!
August 2015 - RPH/POFQ
October 2017 - Newport Bay DLP August 2018 Tokyo Disney
Flower2603 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 12, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hurray!
Old 6 Feb 12, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Villainlover
VIP Dibber

Villainlover's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
looking forward to this but so sad your not going again .. but I am sure wherever you decide to go food and wine will be involved

Buenaventura Lakes 1993
Indian Ridge 1995/6/7 Oak Island Harbour 1998 Indian Point 1999 Eagle ridge 2000 Crescent lakes 2001 Indian Ridge Oaks 2003 Highlands Reserve 2004/5
Hampton Inn Convention centre 2007
Hampton lakes 2008 Highlands reserve 2009
Highlands Reserve 2010/11/12/13/14/15
Villainlover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 12, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
shelly
Imagineer

shelly's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 24

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 42
Guidebook Reviews: 5
Your breakfast at Sofitel looked nice. We are not eating at many of the places you visited, but I'm still going to read, as I love looking at your food photos!
Old 6 Feb 12, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Woohoo! Another Mcsue food report! Love it!