Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Closed Thread

Old 28 May 15, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post

How did you tell everyone?

so if youve seen any of my other posts i really am in the early stages of planning so just trying to gather ideas and info from here

so the big thing! how did you tell everyone that you were getting married in florida and who did you invite!

we dont want a big wedding so we arent really doing an open invite.

my idea wedding guest list would be:
my parents (unfortunately OH's arent with us anymore)
OH's bestman and wife
a few best friends and partners (namely people that would be my bridesmaids if i havd a UK wedding)

we both have big families but arent close so not worried about their reaction so more about friends. i know its nobody else's day but ours but just wondering how people dealt with the negative comments.

OH's best man has already kicked up a fuss over the suggestion (we havent said he has to come by the way) he thinks the idea is awful and when asked for a date (my ideal would be next sept) he basically suggested that we postpone it as they are having a delayed honeymoon next year (they get married this year)

Also how did you ask your bridesmaids? did you wait and see who said they would come first or have a chat first? i obviously know i would chose but i dont want to put anyone under pressure.

thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 15, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi, We were in the same boat as you didn't want a big wedding just close family. We didn't invite anyone just said we were getting married there, and the people who wanted to go just booked to come along. There will be 16 of us in total. I am only having my sister as bridesmaid and my two girls as flower girls. If I had been getting married here I would have asked my cousins but I never asked them as I knew they would struggle to afford to come. We were lucky OH best man goes to florida at the same time as us every year.
Old 28 May 15, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Clarentino
slightly serious Dibber

Technically I haven't told or invited anyone. We had a holiday booked & people invited themselves on that so I decided we may as well get married whilst we were all away.

My other half has invited some of his family but I have chosen not to tell the majority of mine. I didn't want any of my family to feel obliged that they had to come so kept to an all or nothing approach, only my Mum & sister will be there from my side (they were booked on the original holiday). We told a few of our friends & they asked if they could come, others assumed that us telling them our plans was an invite (it wasn't).

It sounds harsh (other half told me so) but I don't care about the negative comments we (I) get. I suffer from really bad anxiety & I want to look back and remember it being a good day not me being overwhelmed by everything & everyone.

With it being a small wedding I wasn't planning on having a bridesmaid, but my other half wanted a best man & my sister hinted that she would like to be a bridesmaid so I guess she's a bridesmaid now.
Clarentino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 15, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
KellyWellyWoo
Imagineer

KellyWellyWoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 3
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I'm not even engaged yet but most people know we'll have a Disney wedding as it's come up in conversation. However, when the time comes I'll send a "save the month" two years before as I know it's a huge ask of people to find a huge lump sum at short notice and then I'm going to ask my bridesmaids with cookies or something with writing on delivered to their door . I don't care about any negative comments and I fully expect people to not be able to afford to come so I'll do a small gathering when we get back.
KellyWellyWoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 15, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
julybride
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I would book a date you want and send an invite to those you want to come x say you understand they may choose not to come x and accept it may be small. Be clear with family that you are not inviting everyone and you will have a small gathering when back... Could be as easy as a church hall and a toasting drink x happy planning... Make it the holiday you want and accept others may not come x
Old 28 May 15, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Laura_<3
Imagineer

Laura_<3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 249
We booked it and told people, we didn't invite anyone.

I have a big family of grandparents, aunties, uncles and cousins who I am close to. OH has a small family and they rarely see each other. Before we booked I was in two minds as to where to get married - here or WDW (OH was always for WDW). In the end we decided life is too short and we need to do what we want as it's our wedding. It may sound selfish, but it is our wedding and our choice. I was worried about peoples reactions but as far as I'm aware, there hasn't been anything negative said about us getting married abroad.

We only wanted a small gathering of close family (parents and siblings) and that's what we're having, there's 11 of us in total and I can't wait; it's perfect for us.

Have a great time planning

Edited at 08:01 PM.
Laura_<3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 15, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Glad to see so many people just went for it!
I really didn't think I would have a Florida wedding but it just makes so much sense!
The hardest part is going to be asking my brother if he will look after mine and my parents dogs so they can come. Gutted it means he won't be there but it's the only way I can do Florida with my parents xxx
Old 1 Jun 15, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
SPN Clann
Imagineer

SPN Clann's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 26
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Congratulations on choosing the kind of wedding you both want

We're having a small Orlando wedding; 18 people including us. All immediate family and partners.

We already knew who we wanted there, and who would probably come. So way, way in advance we sent out save the date cards to those people. Even though they are all immediate family, we wanted to make sure they had as long as possible to save if they wanted to come with us.

We also let them know in person that there's no pressure on them; we'd love them to come but if they can't or don't want to, we will celebrate with them when we get back

That's all you can do; then let people moan if they like.

Good luck x
2015 - Rosen Inn, International Drive
2016 & 2017 - Our HalloWedding & HalloWedding Anniversary, Caribbean Beach
SPN Clann is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 15, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
DiddyDan
Excited about Disney

Congratulations on planning your wedding!

We knew we only wanted to invite immediate family, so we gave out save the dates to our family and expressed we knew it was a lot to ask and understood if they couldn’t come. We waited and told the rest of our family and friends once the wedding and holiday was booked so they knew it was just us!

With your bridesmaids, wait to ask them until they have committed to coming with you. You don't want to put them in an awkward position feeling like they have to come because you've asked them to be bridesmaid. It'd be nicer if they decide on their own to come and then you ask them

And just to warn you, I always thought the negative comments wouldn’t bother me but they actually do and you have to try and brush them off!

Remember this is your wedding and you should invite who you want to come. Those that want to be there will go Good luck with what you decide to do!

With parents 00,01,04,07,12,13-With Dave! Xmas 08 Villa/09 Vegas-LA-San Fran/10 NY-Orlando KV, VB, RP & BLT/11 Vegas/12 LA & Disney Cali/14 DLP/15 Orlando Wedding/16 Orlando Poly & SSR & Vegas/17 Orlando BLT & SSR/17 DLP/18 Orlando
DiddyDan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 15, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post

thanks everyone

not long till i can get booked up for my actual holiday now

did if freak you out now booking the actual wedding util 9/6 months before? :S
Closed Thread