Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 8 Oct 11, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

autisum and high rate mobility

Just really confussed about this , many people i no get high rate for mobility for autisum , i have a grandson and he gets low rate and also he has mobility problems and autisum, although he has been awarded the award indefinetly, should his mum reaply or not. Thanks for your advice.
Old 8 Oct 11, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post

I have autistic dd and just had renewal bk and only got low for mobility... and i dont think its worth appealing.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 11, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
PAT24
slightly serious Dibber

my DD has Autism and gets low rate mobility too
Old 8 Oct 11, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post

I think low rate for mobility for autistic children is pretty normal. I belong to a group for autistic kids locally, and some parents get middle, some low, and some get non.

I don't think it's worth appealing
Old 8 Oct 11, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Autism is a complex disorder and every person who is affected by it is different and has different needs.

It all boils down to what you write on the form.

We were unsuccessful on our first two applications for my DS, both of which went to tribunal stage. We lost the first tribunal, but won the second.

If you think your grandson's needs warrant more than a low award, you should think about appealing.

I know people who get no award, low, middle and high rate of DLA for their autistic children.

Old 8 Oct 11, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post

my friend gets the higher rate for her son and my child gets the lower the difference with my child and hers is this

they are both mobile and both unaware of the dangers around them but he needs two people to keep him from danger, he can become extremeley agressive and agititated when confused or if he has sensory overload, he is a strapping 6ft chap now and so unpredictable so believe me she does need this award because he is not only a danger to himself when he is like this but also to others, i know on trips with the special school he has 2-1 support at all times to keep him safe

the big difficulty for her i believe was proving this, she had the gp, school and every professional person working with her son support her application and this certainly helped
Old 8 Oct 11, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
pudge
Imagineer

pudge's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
My DS is now 16 and suffers from Fragile X Syndrome with autistic tendencies and we only get low rate motability... he has no road sense and cannot read, thus why we got awarded the low rate
[/B][COLOR="Magenta"]2006 Crescent Lakes/New Port Richey, 2008 Highlands Reserve, 2010 Cumbrian Lakes (freebie) & Rolling Hills, 2012 Highlands Reserve, 2014 Bridgewater Crossing, 2015 Rolling Hills/HRH, 2016 Dibb villa Highlands Reserve/HRH & Vegas, 2017 Rolling Hills, Xmas 2018 Rolling Hills & RPR, 2019 Highlands Reserve, 2020 Highlands Reserve canx 2021 Emerald isle fingers crossed
pudge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 11, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

To get higher rate mobility for autism it would be under the" severely mentally impaired "category which means amongst other things has to have been awarded highest rate care and has severe behavioural problems which mean he has to be physically restrained to avoid danger to himself or others
Old 9 Oct 11, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post

The criteria for higher rate mobility is 'unable or virtually unable to walk' meaning it would be physically impossible or detrimental to the health of that person to walk. Some people with ASD may fit the criteria for lower rate awards but the view seems to be that ASD on it's own is not enough to qualify for the higher rate mobility component of DLA as walking is physically possible and supervision when walking would be covered under an award for the care component.

I'm sorry to say that unless there are exceptional circumstances or other factors affecting his mobility it's probably not worth appealing. Mobility awards for people without a physical disability is something that will be under scrutiny in the upcoming disability benefit reforms. From personal experience anyone I know with ASD and no other disability or medical condition has the lower rate or no award for mobility.

Edited at 04:41 PM.
Old 9 Oct 11, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loadsapixiedust View Post
The criteria for higher rate mobility is 'unable or virtually unable to walk' meaning it would be physically impossible or detrimental to the health of that person to walk. Some people with ASD may fit the criteria for lower rate awards but the view seems to be that ASD on it's own is not enough to qualify for the higher rate mobility component of DLA as walking is physically possible and supervision when walking would be covered under an award for the care component.

I'm sorry to say that unless there are exceptional circumstances or other factors affecting his mobility it's probably not worth appealing. Mobility awards for people without a physical disability is something that will be under scrutiny in the upcoming disability benefit reforms. From personal experience anyone I know with ASD and no other disability or medical condition has the lower rate or no award for mobility.
Yes you are correct but severely mentally impaired(SMI) is a special provision that does not actually consider walking ability and is not based on usual mobility criteria.Autism is the condtion it is sometimes awarded for depending as I said above