Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Apr 11, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
tink77
Imagineer

All kids are different, my 2 boys never used a buggy in WDW after they were 4. My dd is another story though, she was 6 when we wnet last year and she used it nearly every day . She gets tired really easily and if she is tired and miserable then so is everyone else

If you have an old one at home there is no harm in taking it ( handing fro carrying your bag), if you don't have one see how you go you can alwasy buy one out there. We have the one they sell in the parks for about $50 and it was great for my dd and she is really tall
tink77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post

We aren't planning on a buggy, but I'm leaving open the idea of bying a cheap one for my daughter once we are there. My kids will be 4 and 6. Our plan is to take a break every afternoon though, as that's what I grew up doing at Disneyland and it works well. My kids do a lot of walking at home, and I plan to slowly increase that walking over the next year anyway so they can walk to school when the weather is nice (a bit over a mile). Of course, we're going in February, so heat won't be a big issue. We did manage San Antonio, TX without a buggy last summer though.

I've seen the ages of kids in buggies go up and up at Disneyland since my own childhood and I'm not terribly keen on it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for all the replies.

The buggy would solely be used for in the evenings if i went shopping.

I wouldnt be taking it to the parks at all. he will be on such a high, the buggy would just be in the way and not used. but come 7 o clock when we are out and about in the early evening i think he will be absolutely adament on not really wanting to walk anywhere so it would be purely for a few hours a couple of evenings in the week.
At his discression whether he used it or not.

I am only there for a week so do not have the time to have a grumpy child and as things stand at the mo i might not be able to take him back there for a very very long time so i haven't really got a grumpy child scheduled into my plan.

So if he wants to use it in the evenings, then i will let him - it's not everyday your asked to be on your feet all day at a disney park, in the heat and you know kids they don't want to stop in case there missing something - he hasnt used a buggy here for years but its just a precuation for just incase - he has never left this country so has no idea on how warm it will be either - i think it will be alot for him to take in - after all he is tired after school somedays!
Old 6 Apr 11, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
sunkisser
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gppcja View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

The buggy would solely be used for in the evenings if i went shopping.

I wouldnt be taking it to the parks at all. he will be on such a high, the buggy would just be in the way and not used. but come 7 o clock when we are out and about in the early evening i think he will be absolutely adament on not really wanting to walk anywhere so it would be purely for a few hours a couple of evenings in the week.
At his discression whether he used it or not.

I am only there for a week so do not have the time to have a grumpy child and as things stand at the mo i might not be able to take him back there for a very very long time so i haven't really got a grumpy child scheduled into my plan.

So if he wants to use it in the evenings, then i will let him - it's not everyday your asked to be on your feet all day at a disney park, in the heat and you know kids they don't want to stop in case there missing something - he hasnt used a buggy here for years but its just a precuation for just incase - he has never left this country so has no idea on how warm it will be either - i think it will be alot for him to take in - after all he is tired after school somedays!
Sounds like a good idea We only took it to the park for evenings as it can take a long time to get out after the fireworks/Fantasmic etc. One year it took 1 1/2 hrs to get to the car after Wishes We were so grateful of the pushchair on that night
Old 6 Apr 11, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

I think you've just answered your own question, Gemma! Do what's best for you and your son - and have a fantastic holiday
Old 6 Apr 11, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Have a listen to February's DIBBcast where we discuss this very topic. Personally, with 3 kids aged 7, 5 and 2 we hire a Sit n Stand and in the summer heat it is a godsend

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post

I refuse to read the other replies, as it's always a can of worms I just wanted to say you do what you feel is best. I have a 6yr old who is 7 in July. He has dyspraxa and everything is hard work for him, so I'd take one for him and stuff what anyone thought.

Personally speaking though, I wouldn't get a cheapy Walmart one, they really offer no comfort for you or the child. How about seeing if you can pick up a Mclaren one from eBay before you go?

Good luck and most of all, do what you can to enjoy every sec of your holiday
Old 6 Apr 11, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Tink-a-bee
Imagineer

As other have said, you know your child best, and if you think he needs one, then go for it. My DS is 5, and although we didn't take a stroller for him on our last trip, he did quite often jump in for a rest when our DD decided to have a toddle.
Old 6 Apr 11, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post

I know none of mine would have went in a buggy at that age... I think WDW is a shock to the system if a child or sometimes even the parents aren't used to walking long distances before they go... If I was taking young children now I'd be getting them out and about before I went for some good long walks. I know though that the heat over there can have a major impact on kids getting tired.
Old 6 Apr 11, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
missy E
Imagineer

missy E's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
In my opinion, I think a healthy 7 year old is too old for a stroller in normal circumstances

However

The days are long, late and hot. I would see how he gets on, but if you feel sure he will find very late evenings difficult, then buy a cheap buggy from Wallmart, or look on Ebay for a lightweight 2nd hand one to take with you.

Its also quite a trek to the car parks in some places, and late at night a buggy ride to the car could make the difference between him whinging all the way back or being carried part of the way. Same goes for that early morning jet lagged trek from the airport to your parked car.