Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Mar 11, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post

5 become 4 - advice on position regarding the flight!

Background: 5 of us were going to Orlando in July -OH,2x DD & 1 DD BF. Yes you guessed it they have split up and whilst they want to stay friends we are agreed that a holiday together will be ackward.

So heres the question: We have booked 5 seats together on the plane. If we decide not to take anyone else (and we havent looked into the possibility of that) will we keep that seat - I sort of feel that having paid for it would actually be nice to spread out a bit!

I am not sure what our rights are. I assume that when someone fails to check in the seat gets sold again if anyone is waiting?

Has this happened to anyone else - did you keep the seat? Does anyone know what the position is?

Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Mar 11, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Dolly-Jo View Post
I assume that when someone fails to check in the seat gets sold again if anyone is waiting?
Thanks
Correct. Nowadays, carriers often overbook the flights and hope things like that will happen.
Old 5 Mar 11, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyGoLucky
Imagineer

i had a similar situation a few months ago on a ryanair flight. my OH didnt come as we had split.
but we didnt have allocated seats either. i could see the one empty seat on the plane, it was a full flight. i had a baby on my knee and would have loved to use that seat.
but it didnt happen.
not that this really answers your question, it was just my experience!
Old 5 Mar 11, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post

The seat only becomes yours when you actually check in for the flight. Otherwise you are listed as a no show.

This applies to locking a seat between your group and with the luggage allowance, it is lost.

If any standbys are waiting for the flight they will get the seat, or it will be used to keep people closer together if they are split and the closest seat is the one that would have been with your group.
Old 5 Mar 11, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi
Yes as far as I am aware a no show whether the seat has been paid for or not means they will re-sell it. I think though that if you change the name on the ticket to your own then it will be okay. If you think about it, large people are expected to pay for 2 seats if they take up too much room. I have seen threads about this before and also witnessed it on a flight myself where the poor chap had to pay extra. So if you think of it this way, you have paid for the seat and would like to keep it then you should be able to. If the ticket is in your own name it would not be a no show then they can't re-sell it. You will probably have to pay to change the name on the ticket but I don't think it will be much.

HTH
Sharon
x
Old 5 Mar 11, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by sunseeker2 View Post
Hi
Yes as far as I am aware a no show whether the seat has been paid for or not means they will re-sell it. I think though that if you change the name on the ticket to your own then it will be okay. If you think about it, large people are expected to pay for 2 seats if they take up too much room. I have seen threads about this before and also witnessed it on a flight myself where the poor chap had to pay extra. So if you think of it this way, you have paid for the seat and would like to keep it then you should be able to. If the ticket is in your own name it would not be a no show then they can't re-sell it. You will probably have to pay to change the name on the ticket but I don't think it will be much.

HTH
Sharon
x
First of all check with the airline to see what kind of refund that you would receive. If it is not worth doing, get them to add to the booking that the seat is for your group.

With Thomson, they add a Mr X as a member of your group.
Old 5 Mar 11, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for the advice.
Sharon - changing to my name is a great idea I think I will look into that - excellent thought thank you.
Old 6 Mar 11, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
mermaids1960
Getting excited

mermaids1960's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 19
Originally Posted by planesailing View Post
First of all check with the airline to see what kind of refund that you would receive. If it is not worth doing, get them to add to the booking that the seat is for your group.

With Thomson, they add a Mr X as a member of your group.
Hope she manages to do that, it would be nice to have the extra room

Owner at Animal Kingdom
mermaids1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 11, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Cinnabon
Imagineer

You would at least get the taxes back if you cancelled the seat.
Old 6 Mar 11, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
disneyholic07
Imagineer

disneyholic07's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Cinnabon View Post
You would at least get the taxes back if you cancelled the seat.
you would have to ask for the taxes back as i only received mine a few months ago from vh from 2 years ago as they never offered at the time

1996 knights inn 2000 wilson world
2003 QUALITY INN PLAZA
2008 2011/12 xmas,2103 Highgate Park,
2015 caribbean beach resort 2109 cruise & stay
disneyholic07 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread