Notices
Itineraries Post your Trip Itineraries here.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Jul 14, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Help.. A plan for a family who don't want to plan!

I am going on holiday in August with my family and while they want to do everything they haven't made any plans or bookings and just want to 'wing it'.. fortunately / unfortunately for them I found this site and I have tried to steer us into some sort of itinerary because I worried that the things they most wanted to do (Anna & Elsa meet, Diagon Alley) wouldn't be possible without some planning!

Also, my boyfriend and I are sort of tagging along with my family for this trip and as we aren't paying for our accommodation we have booked a couple of hotel nights here and there to take advantage of free parking, magic bands for everyone, 60 day FP+ for check in and out days and FOLP at US / IOA to help things along.. and we managed some fab prices! Anyway, to cut a long story short I was hoping to gain some input from people who say more than 'Don't worry about it, it will all fall into place!'

Day 1: Arrive, pick up car and head to hotel - possibly stop at DTD to collect tickets and grab something to eat.

Day 2: Free. I have read a lot about being up at silly hours and making the most of it by heading to a park early, but the family are determined to shop, relax and explore the area before my dad's birthday meal out.

Day 3: Check in to Art of Animation early in the morning and head to Hollywood Studios - Green on busy guide. Sci-Fi ADR in the evening.

Day 4: Magic Kingdom - Amber on busy guide but we have FP+ for Anna and Elsa in the evening along with Wishes.

Day 5: Free (maybe a Water Park)

Day 6: Check into POP Century before early ADR for princess breakfast and a day at Epcot today - Green on busy guide. I have also booked an ADR for my family at Coral Reef and one with my boyfriend at Le Cellier before illuminations.

Day 7: Animal Kingdom - Green on busy guide.

Day 8: Discovery Cove - booked the Elite Celebration Package as I think we would end up going all out with the photo package anyway and it wasn't too much more really so the extras can be a bit of a thank you. ADR at O'hana.

Day 9: Free (maybe a Water Park)

Day 10: Early ADR at Crystal Palace before park opens. Magic Kingdom - Green on busy guide. ADR in the evening at Beaches and Cream.

Day 11: Free (maybe Seaworld)

Day 12: Free (maybe another Water Park or a day to revisit favourite park)

Day 13: Check in to Hard Rock Hotel very early.. not sure on plan of attack as yet as depends on Early Entry maybe Universal Studios first.

Day 14: Another early morning to do the things not done yesterday so maybe more Islands of Adventure.

Day 15: Free (leave in the evening and unsure what we'll do in the morning.

Thoughts? I have tried to contain most of the 'planning' around the hotel stays as they can't argue with maximising the benefits gained But I'm not sure if I have managed to maintain a balance or not?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 14, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
football widow
Apprentice Imagineer

We have never (never,ever planned before)... we always just wing it (11th or 12th trip this year)... with this new magic band nonsense might have to book something this year !
football widow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 14, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
johnandmaz
Imagineer

Unfortunately, winging it invariably equates to long queues or missing out on the top attractions. In this or the next universe, long waits are not the "relaxing" holiday that some people say it is.

I would much rather spend a little bit of time planning and be the family that walks past the "chillax" brigade in the Toy Story line, enjoy it, then move on. Means plenty of chill time at the pool instead of staring at the back of people's heads in line for hours.

You're doing ok though. Chosen your days by looking at the busy day guide, got some rest days plans and booked a few ADRs & FP for the most popular attractions

Try booking a few more FP. If it looks like you won't use them, just cancel online or in the park to give someone else a chance. Have another go at persuading your family about the first day. That first morning, when you are up early can be golden time to get to a park early. Chill in the afternoon when tired.
johnandmaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 14, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you both! That's exactly it.. I want to be laid back but not being able to get on anything without huge queues is what I am trying to avoid.

I should also have said, the days I have put down parks I have booked 3 FP each day usually earlier in the day to allow us to either stay and book more on the day or hit the pool or something and maybe head back in the evenings.

HS head straight to Rock n Roller and have a FP for Tower of Terror, Little Mermaid and Toy Story.

MK Buzz for 3 of us Anna and Elsa the other 3. Dwarfs Mine Train and Wishes for all.

EP straight to Test Track and FP for characters, Mission Space and Soarin'

AK straight to safari FP Everest, Characters, Rapids.

MK early FP for Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain after breakfast but leaves the afternoon to decide whether to stay there or head somewhere else.

Do they sound good plans?
Old 17 Jul 14, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Well we another family that usually just wing it . I'm on holiday not planning a world invasion. We don't do shopping and with already having our Universal and Disney tickets decide night before where we go. Always got a table at our favourite Raglan Road day or night.
As we go October for the Halloween Horror nights and stay in Disney and Universal we are well covered so maybe better as less crowds.
Enjoy it and if you don't see everything , there's always next year.
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jul 14, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Last year we followed the busy day guide but didnt have a plan, but fastpass plus has forced me to make one - I'm not sure we'll stick to it though
Old 20 Jul 14, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Jedi Princess
Imagineer

Mobile

What I usually do is, print off The Busy Day guide for the duration of our holiday. I then plan the days, using the most recommended park as my guide for each day. Then for each park I roughly decide in what order we'll do it. It's always worked well, especially with going in July/August I don't think I could just wing it. If we change our minds and do something different that's fine as well. Our rest days are usually shopping/Waterparks. Not looking forward to the new fast pass system though.

Happy planning. 😃
Old 22 Jul 14, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Pebblesuk
Imagineer

Pebblesuk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We go most years, and only have a vague idea of where we want to go. This advanced fast pass has caused us to book fast passes for every day for some park, just incase that's the day we decide to go to a particular park. will end up cancelling most of them on the days we don't go to a park - but can't plan where I'll be 30 days in advance!
Lake Buena Vista Resort July 2008
Pebblesuk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 14, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
School teacher
Very Serious Dibber

Never planned before, but DDP and fastpasses have taken that away from us this year. It feels like I am at work having to be so organised!
School teacher is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 14, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread