Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Apr 13, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Driving license in maiden name

Hi,
I've just been sorting out paperwork and have realised my driving licencse is still in my maiden name, as we got married in december. I go in 2 weeks 3 days, so thinking I wont have time to send my marriage certificate off to the DVLA, to get it back in time.
My passport is in my married name, so thats ok, but was hoping to drive over there as we get a free additional driver insurance with our car hire. Will they let me drive if my driving licence is still in my maiden name? Or is it best not to risk the confusion?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 13, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by MrsG08 View Post
Hi,
I've just been sorting out paperwork and have realised my driving licencse is still in my maiden name, as we got married in december. I go in 2 weeks 3 days, so thinking I wont have time to send my marriage certificate off to the DVLA, to get it back in time.
My passport is in my married name, so thats ok, but was hoping to drive over there as we get a free additional driver insurance with our car hire. Will they let me drive if my driving licence is still in my maiden name? Or is it best not to risk the confusion?
I would maybe take your marriage certificate with you to prove you are married. They may so no tho, but its worth a chance, the only other thing I can think of is too email the company and explain the situation and hopefully they can advise you.
Old 28 Apr 13, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Connorsmummy View Post
I would maybe take your marriage certificate with you to prove you are married. They may so no tho, but its worth a chance, the only other thing I can think of is too email the company and explain the situation and hopefully they can advise you.

Thanks, did think about taking marriage certificate too. Will ring DVLA tomorrow too and see what they think the time will be for it to get back
Old 28 Apr 13, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

If you email the company and they say no they won't let you drive even if you take your marriage cert with you then you have nothing to lose in sending the licence off to be changed. From what people have told me the turnaround for licences even when renewing picture or getting a paper licence changed to photo card one, the wait is not too long. If it is in your maiden name you won't be able to use it as ID I presume so pretty useless. They may be happy if you have marriage cert, definitely worth a try. If they say yes make sure you take copy of email with you.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 13, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Bigdrinks
Serious Dibber

the DVLA should be quick to get it back to you. I'd be worried about failing to notify them of change of name if you've driven since December!
Bigdrinks is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 13, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
caspdex
Apprentice Imagineer

I had to get anew licence recently, applied on line, got new one in under a week. They get your photo from the passport office so there is nothing to send away.
caspdex is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 13, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
welovepedro
Imagineer

welovepedro's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
I sent mine off about 4 weeks ago after also getting married in December (congratulations btw xx)

It was back a week later but the marriage certificate took a further week xx
Old 28 Apr 13, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
welovepedro
Imagineer

welovepedro's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by caspdex View Post
I had to get anew licence recently, applied on line, got new one in under a week. They get your photo from the passport office so there is nothing to send away.
Also yeah that's a good plan xx
Old 28 Apr 13, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks guys ill let them know tomorrow and hopefully it'll be straight forward.
I'm not worried about them telling me off as its just an oversight - Decembers not that long ago. You can travel withyour passport in your maiden name as long as the holiday was booked under that name for up to a year i think. Did everything else and have had a lot going on.
Old 28 Apr 13, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
katiep
Excited about Disney

Try not to worry, i sent away for replacement licence on tuesday and got mine back friday.. i know it was straightforward but so is being married i dont think it should take too long so like u say give them a ring tomoz they will keep u right.. enjoy driving in florida x
katiep is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread