Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 24 Oct 14, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Simba2014
Excited about Disney

Mum and Son Trip Report

Friday 24th October, the night before
So how did I get here? 5 months ago me and my wife had a falling out and ended up splitting up. From the start I was determined to still go on holiday. I had spent over 6 months planning the trip and although I knew it wouldn't be the same trip after that life event I had put too much into the trip both in money and time to not go.

So that leaves me here, it`s Friday night and I'm currently sat at the Travelodge at Heathrow airport. Joining me is my mum! And this will be our first trip away together for over 10 years, it's going to be an experience and to be honest I'm not sure how things will pan out but what's the worse that can happen!

We left home just before 6pm and got to Heathrow just before 8pm. Quick dinner at the restaurant at the Travelodge, pepperoni pizza for me £8.95, Simply Chicken for mum £7.95. Parking at the travelodge was £7.50 for 24 hours so not too overpriced. Right time to plan the trip to the parking at the airport and get to bed for 5am start!
Old 24 Oct 14, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
pandanne
Imagineer

Sorry to hear about how you've ended up going with your mum. Try and enjoy yourself and I'm sure your mum will be on her best behaviour. You'll need to do a full report when you get back. Have a good travel day tomorrow.
Old 24 Oct 14, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
scush
Proud to wear my Ears

Have a great time
scush is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 14, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
jheaton
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
sorry about your split with your wife but I agree with your plan to go away anyway and well done Mum for going too.

I'm sure you will have a great time-as my DH cant take too much holiday I have recently been to WDW with DD2 and am returning in Jan with DD1

its different than going as a family but enjoyable in a different way-good luck
1995 OKW/1997 Villa/ Gulf /2000 Villa/Rotunda /2002 Villa/Rotunda/2004 Southern Dunes/ AMI/2006 West Stonebridge/2007 Bradenton/2009 Sandy Ridge/2011Sandy Ridge/ AMI /2012SSR/2012Esprit/2013 SSR/2013 2wks AMI/2014 AMI/2015 OKW/2015 AMI/2016 AMI/ Bonita Springs/2017 2weeks Bellavida/2018 AMI/2019 Bonita Springs and Universal/2022 Gulf Coast Hurricane Ian/2023POFQ
jheaton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 14, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Shifu
VIP Dibber

Shifu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Good ol' Mum. Sorry its not what you had planned for but glad you are still going.

Have a wonderful time... looking forward to reading all about your trip.
Shifu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 14, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Infinity Red
Imagineer

Sorry about your break up, I bet your mum is thrilled to be holidaying with her son again though. I hope you both have a lovely time
Old 26 Oct 14, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
beck_loz
Imagineer

beck_loz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Have a great time x
beck_loz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 14, 03:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Simba2014
Excited about Disney

Saturday 25th October, flying day
It was an early start with the alarm set for 4:45am. Mum grabbed a quick coffee in the room and I frantically packed everything up. We headed off to the NCP Flightpath car park at 5:20, which was a short 10 minute journey away, no traffic at all! Parked ourselves up and headed to the bus that was waiting to depart, and got to the airport 6am for the 8:50am flight to Dublin.

This is where the fun begins... 6 months I put in a bid to upgrade the flights to business class. I thought I cancelled it as couldn't really afford to fly business class but turns out I didn't, only realising when an email confirmation came through to stay the bid was successful, oops! So priority checkin, and then to the Aer Lingus Gold Circle lounge we go! So glad we didn't get breakfast elsewhere, there was tea, coffee, juice, cereal, fruit all available along with free wifi, lovely start to the morning and avoided the airport prices! (we're ignore the fact that the business flight upgrade cost £317 per person for now!)

The plane to Dublin was nothing special as there was no business cabin but it got to Dublin on time on without an issues. At Dublin the staff were super helpful with everything and we're super happy to advise on when to go to US customs clearance and what to do when, I was a bit apprehensive about 'the indirect flights but I'd happily recommend to others. We did a bit of shopping at the duty free stores and then went to the business lounge for the free wifi, alcohol, and biscuits. Once the our flight was ready for customs we blitzed through it with no queues. Like I said, I can't recommend Dublin enough but guess we're see how things go on the return flight.

The flight itself left 20 minutes late but the business cabin was great. The food was the best airline food I've ever had and comparable to a good quality restaurant meal. Entertainment was so so, more choice of recent films would be good. The cabin staff were attentive and the amount of leg room was quite frankly ridiculous! Oh how the other half live.

Anyway, we landed 6pm Orlando time, and it was gone midnight by the time we got to the all star sports. Checked in easy enough and first impressions of the resort is pretty good. For now we just needed sleep as had been on the go for 16 hours!
Old 27 Oct 14, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
pandanne
Imagineer

Good travel day - oops about the upgrade. Looking forward to reading some more. Enjoy.
Old 27 Oct 14, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Good for you for making the most of a bad situation. Make it what you want it to be and I hope your Mum has lots of stamina!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List