Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 12 Apr 12, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Great pre-trip report - love the West Coast. We have been twice, 1999 and again in 2009 with DS who was then 8 and had fantastic holidays each time.

Enjoyed reading your plans already - things that we enjoyed whilst there and some tips which may help -

1 - LA - Univeral Studios - mainly for the backstage tour - being a movie geek loved seeing all the sets and stuff. Santa Monica beach and pier worth a half day trip
2 - Disney - must do's - Matterhorn and Indiana Jones ride. CA will have new Carsland open but would avoid the Funwheel swinging cars - we got off after one circuit - watch some of it on youtube and you'll get the picture
3 - Stayed at Carousel Inn back in 1999 - great location - as you say its just across the road - walk to Disney in two mintues - few local places for food - Tony Romas etc.. Stayed Paradise Pier in 2009 - perfectly fine and bit more Disney with it now being one of theirs but would happily stay at Carousel Inn again.
4 - San Diego - stayed at Humphreys Half Moon and Bahia Resort - both great - Bahai is near mission beach and you can walk to the old wooden coaster and boardwalk and about 5 mins from Seaworld by car. La Jolla very nice for wander round and bite to eat. Zoo excellent had Pandas last time we went.
5 - Vegas - we renewed our vows last time with Elvis at the Graceland Chapel - DS loved it - really good time and Elvis was brilliant. If you like shopping try The Forum at Caesars or Miracle Mile at Hard Rock. Venetian is stunning and can do a gondola ride.
6 - Yosemite - if you plan on staying in Yosemite I would prebook as there aren't many places in the Valley - when we were there last they were turning away walk ups- Yosemite Inn is good and right near the Falls. Degnans Deli good for sandwiches/take out - Curry Village handy for pizzas and beer and chilling outside on a night. Walk to Vernal / Nevada falls good for half a day and not too hard going .
7 - San Francisco - so much to see and do. Cable Cars get there early - touristy but essential to do. Alcatraz night tour is very good and can prebook before you go. In 'n' Out Burger, great burgers . Chowder in a sourdough bowl, Boudins Bakery, Ghiradhellis chocolate - some great food!

Whatever you do you'll have a great time - we last went in Ocotber and had really good weather and the driving never seemed to bad to us - all part of the holiday.

Looking forward to reading your reports, when you're there we'll be in Orlando enjoying a bit of Disney on the East Coast.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place

Edited at 11:36 PM.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 12, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Looks like your going to have a great time, your fitting so much in - and nicely planned! If you have a disney autograph book you could use it just incase you see some hollywood celebrities :P
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 12, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
chelseyleigh
Imagineer

chelseyleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 22
Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post
Re show tickets.. have you thought about getting them when your there from the tix4tonite booths on the strip? you can make quite a saving by doing it this way.
If that would save us money will definately consider it, what shows would you reccomend? I thought about jersey boys but mum and dad have seen it in london

Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
Great pre-trip report - love the West Coast. We have been twice, 1999 and again in 2009 with DS who was then 8 and had fantastic holidays each time.

Enjoyed reading your plans already - things that we enjoyed whilst there and some tips which may help -

1 - LA - Univeral Studios - mainly for the backstage tour - being a movie geek loved seeing all the sets and stuff. Santa Monica beach and pier worth a half day trip
2 - Disney - must do's - Matterhorn and Indiana Jones ride. CA will have new Carsland open but would avoid the Funwheel swinging cars - we got off after one circuit - watch some of it on youtube and you'll get the picture
3 - Stayed at Carousel Inn back in 1999 - great location - as you say its just across the road - walk to Disney in two mintues - few local places for food - Tony Romas etc.. Stayed Paradise Pier in 2009 - perfectly fine and bit more Disney with it now being one of theirs but would happily stay at Carousel Inn again.
4 - San Diego - stayed at Humphreys Half Moon and Bahia Resort - both great - Bahai is near mission beach and you can walk to the old wooden coaster and boardwalk and about 5 mins from Seaworld by car. La Jolla very nice for wander round and bite to eat. Zoo excellent had Pandas last time we went.
5 - Vegas - we renewed our vows last time with Elvis at the Graceland Chapel - DS loved it - really good time and Elvis was brilliant. If you like shopping try The Forum at Caesars or Miracle Mile at Hard Rock. Venetian is stunning and can do a gondola ride.
6 - Yosemite - if you plan on staying in Yosemite I would prebook as there aren't many places in the Valley - when we were there last they were turning away walk ups- Yosemite Inn is good and right near the Falls. Degnans Deli good for sandwiches/take out - Curry Village handy for pizzas and beer and chilling outside on a night. Walk to Vernal / Nevada falls good for half a day and not too hard going .
7 - San Francisco - so much to see and do. Cable Cars get there early - touristy but essential to do. Alcatraz night tour is very good and can prebook before you go. In 'n' Out Burger, great burgers . Chowder in a sourdough bowl, Boudins Bakery, Ghiradhellis chocolate - some great food!

Whatever you do you'll have a great time - we last went in Ocotber and had really good weather and the driving never seemed to bad to us - all part of the holiday.

Looking forward to reading your reports, when you're there we'll be in Orlando enjoying a bit of Disney on the East Coast.
Wow thank you so much for taking the time to write that! really appreciate it and glad to hear you enjoyed carousel inn!
Looking forward to hearing about your east coast trip!

Originally Posted by *~ElmoHolz~* View Post
Looks like your going to have a great time, your fitting so much in - and nicely planned! If you have a disney autograph book you could use it just incase you see some hollywood celebrities :P
haha! good idea!
Old 13 Apr 12, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Belle x
Very Serious Dibber

Belle x's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Have just got caught up with your pre-trip report. It sounds absolutely amazing - I'm so, so jealous! I hope one day I will be able to do something like this me & my family have spoke about it in the past.. and if I ever need any ideas, I know where to come haha.

Ohhh and.. I can't believe there is somebody else on theDIBB with the same name as me, which is spelt the same! People are forever spelling mine 'Chelsea'

Next Trip - Pop & Endless Summer - August 2024
Belle x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 12, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
chelseyleigh
Imagineer

chelseyleigh's Reviews
Originally Posted by Belle x View Post
Have just got caught up with your pre-trip report. It sounds absolutely amazing - I'm so, so jealous! I hope one day I will be able to do something like this me & my family have spoke about it in the past.. and if I ever need any ideas, I know where to come haha.

Ohhh and.. I can't believe there is somebody else on theDIBB with the same name as me, which is spelt the same! People are forever spelling mine 'Chelsea'
OH i no right! So annoying! haha, and how many times have you had the football joke?!?!
Haha
Thanks for reading
Old 13 Apr 12, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
chelseyleigh
Imagineer

chelseyleigh's Reviews
Update 11 - The last stop, San Francisco

If all goes to plan we should arrive at San Fran by 6pm and find out chosen hotel, Im thinking to stick around Fishermans Wharf area, can anyone reccomend this?

We will most likely spend the first evening having a little wonder and probally eating even more of this...

We have 3 full days at San Fran and then a half day on the day we leave.

Again, no set Plans for San Fran but here's what we would like to get covered;

One day will most likely be spent generally exploring and visiting the stunning Golden Gate Bridge...

And hopefully taking a few rides on one of these bad boys!

and also making sure to stop by...

Another day will be spent visiting the Walt Disney Family Museum, Mainly for me!

Do you guys no if these tickets need to be pre-ordered or is it ok to just show up?

The final day will be spent doing some more general exploring and also some last minute shopping! - Would love to hear some reccomendations, was also hoping to find some vintage shops in some of the trendier areas?

We are also planning on booking a night tour at Alcatraz for one night!

We also have one final day to do any last minute exploring, so lots of time for looking around!

Our Flight departs from San Francisco international at 18.55 so we won't need to head to the airport until 3ish. We should head into London by 10am the next day, Quite glad its an overnight flight, hopefully it will sort out our jet lag a little!

So thats all for now!
If anyone can reccomend ANYTHING, ANYWHERE that would be great!

Edited at 11:53 PM.
chelseyleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 12, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post
sweetemotion
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 114
Wow, I'm loving this report. You will LOVE the west coast! Good luck doing it all too! I'd be scared to attempt this all at once it would tire me out lol

I would recommend the blue bayou at disneyland, I loved eating inside pirate's of the caribbean because it's one my my fave films but the service and food there was amazing also and I only made my reservation the day before. It was august last year so I'm assuming they don't get booked up as much as WDW. Disneyland for me was just very surreal because I'd dreamt about it for so long and it being the original park and everything. Also if you wanna ride the new star tours I would say get fast passes for that asap, when I asked last year they were out of FP by 11am

Are you planning on walking the whole of hollywood blvd? I did it and it took forever but I'm so glad I did. Loved seeing the El Capitan and Grauman's chinese theatre too. I really liked going to a place called the griddle, really popular place where they sell pancakes as big as the plate it comes on. My restaurant recommendations would be the wood ranch at the grove (my favourite restaurant in the entire state) and BJ's at the westfeild in century city, they have what's called a pizookie. So not good for you but oh so good! I didn't like the westfeild for shopping so much as I did the beverly center.

Also you can visit sprinkles cupcakes, just off rodeo drive. Best cupcakes I've ever tasted and now they have a cupcake ATM!

There's tons to do in vegas, don't forget to give the vegas sign a visit! and there are two outlet malls, both seem to do the same thing? I'd recommend doing all the geeky hotel things, like the lions at the mgm, the coaster at the nyny, the bellagio fountains and art museum, the moving statues inside the forum shops and the atlantis show, the gondolas in the venetian. Oh and the caesars palace pool is amazing and is open to the public. I've heard that penn and teller is a great show also. My favourite buffet was the bellagio's would highly recommend it

There's tons of restaurants in city walk, we ate at bubba gumps but theres lots more options. Universal isn't the same as the orlando one as it's more of a working studio with a theme park attached but you get some amazing views from up there

In yosemite I'd recommend booking your hotel before too. I stayed at the yosemite view lodge which I know a lot of people on the dibb liked too. It's the last hotel before you enter the park. Visit mariposa grove for the giant sequoia trees I loved seeing yosemite, there were wild deer walking beside the road which was so nice because I rarely see wild animals in their natural habitat.

Maybe check out malibu and/or venice beach. I enjoyed both but didn't want to be around venice after 6/7pm Santa monica is beautiful, I loved the 3rd street promenade. A drive along pch is always nice and if you decide to venture up to malibu the paradise cove beach cafe is one of my favourites. Get to eat directly on the beach and it's so beautiful.

Check out the prescott hotel for san francisco, they were absolutely amazing! Upgraded us to club level and we had free cocktails every night and free breakfast and a morning paper every day. Such good service. It's next to union square but I found this to be a good location. Morton's steakhouse is a great restaurant to check out in the area too. Alcatraz was amazing, you really have to see if for yourself.

Oh and don't forget to get your first timer's badge from guest services at disneyland!

hope this has helped you

WDW - 96, 99, 00, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 17
DLP - 98, 01, 02, 10 DLR - 11, 12, 14, 18 15
Las Vegas - 11, 12, 13x2, 14, 18x2
WDW Cast Member 17 - 18 14 U.S. States & Counting!
sweetemotion is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 12, 01:46 AM  
Link to this Post
chelseyleigh
Imagineer

chelseyleigh's Reviews
Originally Posted by sweetemotion View Post
Wow, I'm loving this report. You will LOVE the west coast! Good luck doing it all too! I'd be scared to attempt this all at once it would tire me out lol

I would recommend the blue bayou at disneyland, I loved eating inside pirate's of the caribbean because it's one my my fave films but the service and food there was amazing also and I only made my reservation the day before. It was august last year so I'm assuming they don't get booked up as much as WDW. Disneyland for me was just very surreal because I'd dreamt about it for so long and it being the original park and everything. Also if you wanna ride the new star tours I would say get fast passes for that asap, when I asked last year they were out of FP by 11am

Are you planning on walking the whole of hollywood blvd? I did it and it took forever but I'm so glad I did. Loved seeing the El Capitan and Grauman's chinese theatre too. I really liked going to a place called the griddle, really popular place where they sell pancakes as big as the plate it comes on. My restaurant recommendations would be the wood ranch at the grove (my favourite restaurant in the entire state) and BJ's at the westfeild in century city, they have what's called a pizookie. So not good for you but oh so good! I didn't like the westfeild for shopping so much as I did the beverly center.

Also you can visit sprinkles cupcakes, just off rodeo drive. Best cupcakes I've ever tasted and now they have a cupcake ATM!

There's tons to do in vegas, don't forget to give the vegas sign a visit! and there are two outlet malls, both seem to do the same thing? I'd recommend doing all the geeky hotel things, like the lions at the mgm, the coaster at the nyny, the bellagio fountains and art museum, the moving statues inside the forum shops and the atlantis show, the gondolas in the venetian. Oh and the caesars palace pool is amazing and is open to the public. I've heard that penn and teller is a great show also. My favourite buffet was the bellagio's would highly recommend it

There's tons of restaurants in city walk, we ate at bubba gumps but theres lots more options. Universal isn't the same as the orlando one as it's more of a working studio with a theme park attached but you get some amazing views from up there

In yosemite I'd recommend booking your hotel before too. I stayed at the yosemite view lodge which I know a lot of people on the dibb liked too. It's the last hotel before you enter the park. Visit mariposa grove for the giant sequoia trees I loved seeing yosemite, there were wild deer walking beside the road which was so nice because I rarely see wild animals in their natural habitat.

Maybe check out malibu and/or venice beach. I enjoyed both but didn't want to be around venice after 6/7pm Santa monica is beautiful, I loved the 3rd street promenade. A drive along pch is always nice and if you decide to venture up to malibu the paradise cove beach cafe is one of my favourites. Get to eat directly on the beach and it's so beautiful.

Check out the prescott hotel for san francisco, they were absolutely amazing! Upgraded us to club level and we had free cocktails every night and free breakfast and a morning paper every day. Such good service. It's next to union square but I found this to be a good location. Morton's steakhouse is a great restaurant to check out in the area too. Alcatraz was amazing, you really have to see if for yourself.

Oh and don't forget to get your first timer's badge from guest services at disneyland!

hope this has helped you
Wow you have no idea how helpful this was! Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that!

I was worried Blue bayou would be a bit pricey for all 6 of us but now ive been reccomended it so many times i think we will have to give it a go!

Oh my! I love pancakes and cupcakes so both them places sound AMAZING!

Definately need to give Bubba Gumps a try, even after 6 visits to Orlando i still haven't!

I really like the sound of 3rd street promenade so will definately pay that a visit!

And im so excited to be able to wear my first time badges at disneyland! woopieee!
thanks again! really appreciate all that!
Old 15 Apr 12, 04:59 AM  
Link to this Post
chelseyleigh
Imagineer

chelseyleigh's Reviews
Update 12 - New disney plans

Ok heres my new plan for our disney section::

1st day - check into hotel, check out DTD if we have time, book the dining package for world of colour and eat at Ariels grotto before watching the show.

2nd day - breakfast reservation at plaza inn and spend the day at disneyland park then dinner at blue bayou and in the evening we will watch either fantasmic or remember...dreams come true fireworks

3rd day - check out of hotel, early breakfast at either PCH grill or storytellers cafe and then spend the day at disneyland california adventure park and then onto DTD in the evening for dinner at Jeff brenans jazz kitchen then onto San Diego after dinner

If anyone could give me opinions on these restaurants and which fireworks to choose that would be great! thanks guys!
Old 15 Apr 12, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
wayne77
slightly serious Dibber

In San Francisco I recommend the Sheraton at Fishermans Wharf. As for the Golden Gate Bridge, we hired bikes and cycled across it,which was a great experience. Also try the Bordins chowder served in a bowl made of bread. Alcatraz is definitely worth a trip as are the cable cars and Coit tower.

Wayne.
wayne77 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List