Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Apr 11, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

Wait and see how you all go. If it is just for shopping, you might find that you run out of oomph after a day in the park and don't shop as much as you thought. If you find you do need a buggy, then it won't be difficult to buy one: just make sure you get one suitable for your son's weight (some cheap ones won't be good enough) and you probably need recline if the purpose is to let him sleep.

Have a good holiday

EC
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
SiandAm
Imagineer

Personal choice, only you know your child that well. Our 6 year old is tiny but would not fit in one of the cheap buggies comfortably last year (he was 5 then but the size of a 3 year old). He doesn't like walking but I'm afraid this year he is, as personally i think he is old enough to cope with walking and I am not going to pander to him. I wouldn't dream of putting him in buggy to anything at home, including at a theme park.
Just hope I'm strong enough to see it through as I know he will whinge about it.
Good Luck, and have a fab time however you choose to transport your child.

P.S no one will think anything strange about a 7 year old being in a bugg, we have seen U.S children much older, and far too large for pushchairs, in the parks in them... it appears to be the norm! xx

PORS 1995 Grand Floridian 1997 CBR 1998 ASMovies2002/2004Cumbrian lakes 2005,6,8,10,11,12,13,14 & 15 NYC/disney '12 AKL 2007 OKW 2009 2012Ellie hunts tour CBR 19
cumbrian lakes2016,17,18,19,22 2019 ASMovies 2022
SiandAm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
lindylou2_2002
Imagineer

lindylou2_2002's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Dependent on the weight of your child you might find that the flimsy cheap ones might not be strong enough. When we took our 4 and 6 year olds we cut out in the afternoon when the sun was at it's hottest, had some pool time and chilled out then went back in the evening and everyone was fine with that. Don't think the long day would have suited me let alone the girls.

Sept 2001 Westridge,
Sept 2004 Hampton Lakes,
May 2006 West Stonebridge
Aug 2009 Silver Creek
July30-Aug7 2010 DCL Med Repo Cruise
Aug 2011 DLC Magic Med Cruise
Aug 2012 New York trip + a little DCL Disney MAGIC
August 2013 Villa plus cruise
Oct 2013 Reimagined Magic 5 day cruise
DLP Too many visits to count.
lindylou2_2002 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
madhatter3
Imagineer

madhatter3's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Go with what you feel happy with, at the end of the day,he is your son, you know how he will cope, my eldest who is nearly 11 struggles so much with heat and at the moment is having horrid growing pains in his knees, if i suggested a buggy I think he would jump at the chance! but what i am doing is making sure the kids are walking everywhere (cuts the cost of petrol), and is getting them use to the walking in the parks, my kids are active, but do think they may struggle in may, but plan to have regular breaks, and go back to hotel in the afternoon for a swim, (but somehow that makes them more tired), do whatever you think best, don't listen to everyone, and enjoy yourself.
madhatter3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
kess
slightly serious Dibber

I agree with some of the others, wait untill you are out there and then buy one if needed.

Last year we took one for our dd who was 4 and she did use it a little bit, but only for a quick power nap when really tired during the afternoon. She will be 6 when we go next Sept and I wont be taking one for her this time as IMO she will be old enough to cope with it.
kess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post

I wouldn't think twice about making my kids comfortable when they were tired so long as they were happy with it themselves. I think the best advice on here has been to see how it goes, perhaps even allow him to make the decision to go and get one himself.

If you have a pushchair for a younger child you could always take a buggy board for an older one, some of those are quite sturdy (they make the buggy very heavy to push around).

This has been such an emotive subject, very interesting, it might give an idea of how people treat you when you are out. I suspect most people will be to busy enjoying themselves to worry or even notice it.

Jan
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

This is a very simple answer - do whatever you like!

It's nobody else's business really. If you think your 7-year old would like a pushchair as a backup, then get one! I don't expect for one minute that he'll want to be in it all day, but after a few hours in the heat he may want to rest up for a while, rather than leaving the park altogether - that isn't fair on our DD who is much older. Or us for that matter!

We're taking one for our 5-yr old this year. He never really uses it at home but do I want to be stuck miles away from the park entrance with a child who is tired and insisting on being carried? No!
Old 6 Apr 11, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Smileyk
Very Serious Dibber

Smileyk's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Nope I wouldn't. DD2 was 5 when we went last time and she managed fine and if tired we left. She had 2 grumpy days where she was a little off colour but we just did stuff away from the parks then to save her legs - or we had lots of sit downs. At 7 I'd expect her to walk. Maybe it's just me but I find having a pushchair I huge bind - particularly when the parks are busy. I'd rather give a piggyback to the exit if she's too tired to walk as it's easier to get through the crowds.
Smileyk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
My kids havnt used buggys since they were about 4 years old, I wouldnt put a 7 year old in a buggy unless they had health problems and dd is 8 and very grown up for her age and wants to walk to school with her friend but I wont allow it! I think is looks strange having a big child in a buggy but thats just my opinion, if the kids are tired we grab a drink and have a rest!
Old 6 Apr 11, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
d n l brown
slightly serious Dibber

My son was 7 last year when we went but he didnt need a pushchair,but as another post said if you find he is getting tired walmart have cheap buggies.