Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 7 Nov 14, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
k4ti3-x
Apprentice Imagineer

k4ti3-x's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The Golden + Silver State Mega-trip: Highs & Lows!

Woohoo I have managed to finish my trip-report!

Thanks to everyone who read along and I hope I managed to help some of you out with costs/places to go/places to avoid Just going to do a round up here, if you have read my report you probably got a sense of most of the highs and lows here while reading!

San Francisco -

Highs:
Biking the Golden Gate Bridge was a definite highlight of the trip!

The Alcatraz night tour was also great - however I think I psyched myself up so much for this and I actually ended up knowing pretty much everything we got told in the tour - I still loved it and would 100% recommend it.

Sausalito was beautiful I would have loved to visit it again or spent longer there.

The travel app for San Francisco called Rover was amazing! It gave you real time updates on bus's and trains and when you were on board let you know when you had to get off - invaluable and such a help for getting around!

Lows:
Our hotel - stay away I do not recommend!

That we choose to stay in Union Sq over Fisherman's Wharf - wished we had stayed nearer FW

A LOT of homeless people - Didn't feel safe in the evening at all.

Yosemite -

Highs:
Everything - just being there!

The hotel was great

Having a convertible to experience it all

Lows:
That hike... I'll say no more

Las Vegas

Highs:
The Palazzo hotel!

Scoot city tour of Red Rock Canyon

David Guetta at XS nightclub

Britney Spears at PH

Lows:
Very HOT!

Lifts in Palazzo could sometimes take a while.

Anaheim/Disney

Highs:
California Adventure park was amazing! I loved the Cars area and the ride and California Screaming, World of Colour and Toystory Mania too!

The Outlets at Orange were fab - its where we got most of our shopping done!

Our hotel - Super 8 motel was amazing value and totally fine for the price & only 15 min walk to the parks!

Earl of Sandwich

Lows:
Disneyland

Los Angeles

Highs:
Having an apartment over a hotel

The location - Beverly Grove was FAB!

Malibu & Laguna beaches

Lows:
The initial muddle with the garage and apartment when we arrived

Hollywood don't think I would ever go back there!

We had an amazing trip and I don't know how we will ever top this one! We weren't too taken with San Francisco which is a shame as I was so looking forward to it and thought I would just fall in love! Rob loved Yosemite and I really enjoyed it too - will definitely go back in Spring to see those waterfalls Vegas was probably my favourite place which really surprised me! I also loved LA and having our own apartment and travelling by car - it felt more 'homely'. The West Hollywood district was lovely with loads of cafes/restaurants around and we always felt very safe.
Disneyland was a big disappointment but California Adventure more than made up for it! Will deffo go back to that park one day
San Diego zoo was also worth making the trip down for and hopefully we will get to see San Diego properly next time!

Overall highs:

Panda Express I am having withdrawal symptoms and its not good!
Strawberry lemonade!
Bishop - best hotel of the lot. Customer service was amazing!

Lows:

Indirect flights - were a huge bummer going to the USA on way back it wasn't as bad but we would definitely pay extra to go direct next time.

Have included final costs for budget ideas for people looking to do a similar trip in the future - our food was based on $100 a day for both of us and we more than managed with that!
Food - $1,325, Travel (taxis's extras, extra tips) - $250, Petrol = $270, My personal spending money ( clothes etc) - $1,350

Lots of highs! Thanks for reading

Katie && Rob

xxx

Edited at 03:26 PM.
k4ti3-x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 14, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
SuzyM
Very Serious Dibber

SuzyM's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks - I have really enjoyed your trip report, and it has given me lots of tips and ideas for our West Coast trip next summer. We are not doing Vegas but doing SF/Yosemite/LA/San Diego and Anaheim, can't wait.

So thanks for sharing - it looks like you had an amazing time.

Suzy
TDL and DLHK: July/Aug 2017; DCL: 2023 Alaska (Wonder)
SuzyM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 14, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post

Really enjoyed your trippy! I have to say something & please don't take offence, but I do feel compelled to say this. Throughout your trippy I've noticed how you make reference and how you say you feel around homeless people, which, maybe you're different but I think is a really negative opinion. People are people, homeless or not. Sometimes through no fault, sometimes it is their fault. I've spoken to many homeless people and helped them through a previous role and most of them I've met would give you their last pound if you wanted to make a call or buy a cheeseburger! But in one of your days you described you "had to move away from them with our cheeseburgers" which is so cruel! I know you probably mean no harm, but honestly people are people. To change the world we have to work together. Before judging them have some compassion. Otherwise great trippy.

Edited at 08:00 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 14, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
k4ti3-x
Apprentice Imagineer

k4ti3-x's Reviews
Originally Posted by SuzyM View Post
Thanks - I have really enjoyed your trip report, and it has given me lots of tips and ideas for our West Coast trip next summer. We are not doing Vegas but doing SF/Yosemite/LA/San Diego and Anaheim, can't wait.

So thanks for sharing - it looks like you had an amazing time.

Suzy
Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for reading! Yes we definitely did Wish we could be back now - lucky you having it all to look forward too

Originally Posted by KGx View Post
Really enjoyed your trippy! I have to say something & please don't take offence, but I do feel compelled to say this. Throughout your trippy I've noticed how you make reference and how you say you feel around homeless people, which, maybe you're different but I think is a really negative opinion. People are people, homeless or not. Sometimes through no fault, sometimes it is their fault. I've spoken to many homeless people and helped them through a previous role and most of them I've met would give you their last pound if you wanted to make a call or buy a cheeseburger! But in one of your days you described you "had to move away from them with our cheeseburgers" which is so cruel! I know you probably mean no harm, but honestly people are people. To change the world we have to work together. Before judging them have some compassion. Otherwise great trippy.
Hi, as far as I am aware I didn't ever say/write that I "had to move away from them with our cheeseburgers". The only time we felt uneasy was when two men were next to our rental car when Rob went out with a trolley of shopping at Walmart and he moved the car as they continued to stare at him after he got into the car.

I have volunteered for a homeless charity for two years now. I'm not new to the concept of homelessness and I have met many people who were homeless (and lovely people) and now thankfully have somewhere safe and warm to live through the great work we can do for them. So I definitely was not judging them! Being in a new place can be daunting and yes I was probably overly cautious but I see that as trying to be safe. I wasn't aware I brought it up so often but if I did it is probably because I notice more than others having worked in the third sector and compare it to what I see in my hometown. If you have ever been in the Tenderloin area of SF then I urge you to not feel nervous especially in the evenings.
I don't see how you can say 'please don't take offence' then go on to call me cruel and say I have no compassion. As I am offended and I think most people would be if a stranger said that to them.

I apologies if you are unhappy by my mentioning of it on my trip but it wasn't written in a horrible, uncompassionate or cruel way it was just an observation in certain places during our time on the west coast.

Edited at 09:09 PM.
k4ti3-x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 14, 01:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Jessyka1990
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I just wanted to say thankyou very much for sharing your trip with us, me and dfi are plannin on a west coast trip including getting married in vegas in 2016, i have seen some trippies that gave me odd bits i wanted to know, but your trip is almost identical to the things we have researched/planned. So it was great to almost see it in real life (as strange as that sounds)
I have only came across your trippie tonight and enjoyed it so much i spent the whole night reading day after day lol

As for the above comment i would just say dont let people negative attitude impact on how you feel, ive also got to add the only time ive seen homeless on this trippie is on the highs and lows, :/

Thanks again, wi be making dfi read now
Jessyka1990 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 15, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
katie1
Excited about Disney

Absolutely loved your trippie!, you have given me so may ideas. xxx
katie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 15, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Only just came across this trip report and I have absolutely loved it. Thank you for sharing.

We went to LA and Vegas in May 2014 and I wish I had recorded everything in detail like you have! Your report has reminded me of some of the things we did that I had forgotten about which has been lovely. We didn't visit San Fran and reading your report has made me want to go even more, I am especially interested in Alcatraz.

We also absolutely loved the WB tour and California Adventure as well. We enjoyed Disneyland but we haven't visited Orlando yet - going in May this year! I will now be off to read your Orlando trip report

Thanks again.
x
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 15, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post

Just read your trip report and loved it thanks for sharing it. Sounds like an amazing trip and one I'd love to do one day. X
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Mar 15, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen0705
Imagineer

Helen0705's Reviews
Amazing trip report - only came across it today after finding your pre trippie for your girlie holiday to Florida in May - and have read it from start to finish !
Loved reading all about your trip - and I'll be sure to try out Panda Express for the first time this year !
Looking forward to reading about your next adventure .
Helen x
Helen0705 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 15, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
k4ti3-x
Apprentice Imagineer

k4ti3-x's Reviews
Originally Posted by Jessyka1990 View Post
I just wanted to say thankyou very much for sharing your trip with us, me and dfi are plannin on a west coast trip including getting married in vegas in 2016, i have seen some trippies that gave me odd bits i wanted to know, but your trip is almost identical to the things we have researched/planned. So it was great to almost see it in real life (as strange as that sounds)
I have only came across your trippie tonight and enjoyed it so much i spent the whole night reading day after day lol

As for the above comment i would just say dont let people negative attitude impact on how you feel, ive also got to add the only time ive seen homeless on this trippie is on the highs and lows, :/

Thanks again, wi be making dfi read now

Aww i'm glad you enjoyed the trip report and how exciting getting married in Vegas and being able to have your honeymoon in the west coast! It takes quite a bit of planning but its so worth it - don't think you would be able to top a trip like it.

Originally Posted by katie1 View Post
Absolutely loved your trippie!, you have given me so may ideas. xxx
Glad you liked it! Trip reports are a great way of getting an idea of plans for your own trip i think I've ready everyone on the west coast forum xxx

Originally Posted by LN89 View Post
Only just came across this trip report and I have absolutely loved it. Thank you for sharing.

We went to LA and Vegas in May 2014 and I wish I had recorded everything in detail like you have! Your report has reminded me of some of the things we did that I had forgotten about which has been lovely. We didn't visit San Fran and reading your report has made me want to go even more, I am especially interested in Alcatraz.

We also absolutely loved the WB tour and California Adventure as well. We enjoyed Disneyland but we haven't visited Orlando yet - going in May this year! I will now be off to read your Orlando trip report

Thanks again.
x
Ohh enjoy Orlando its fab! Yes would deffo recommend San Francisco its a lovely city and we had great weather while we were there. Alcatraz and biking the bridge were highlights for sure.

Originally Posted by will bella View Post
Just read your trip report and loved it thanks for sharing it. Sounds like an amazing trip and one I'd love to do one day. X
Thanks for reading! Its a trip of a lifetime would recommend anyone to do it!

Originally Posted by Helen0705 View Post
Amazing trip report - only came across it today after finding your pre trippie for your girlie holiday to Florida in May - and have read it from start to finish !
Loved reading all about your trip - and I'll be sure to try out Panda Express for the first time this year !
Looking forward to reading about your next adventure .
Helen x
Thanks Helen Panda Express was a firm favourite with us! I think every visit to Universal in Orlando will involve a Panda Express Hoping to do a full trip report of my time in Florida too

Katie x