Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Mar 10, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
CupcakeJoo
Very Serious Dibber

CupcakeJoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Advice - travelling with an 11-month old!

Hi all,
I wondered if anyone has any experience of travelling with an infant? My son is nearly 11-months and we are going on our first holiday abroad in a few weeks.
I do have some questions but won't bore you with them unless there is anyone out there that could help!
We are going to Tunisia!
Julie xxx
CupcakeJoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 10, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
joshmadty
Imagineer

We have been traveling with our kids since they where each 12 weeks old.
We have been on numerous holidays at numerous ages with them - so feel free to ask any questions you like and I will be happy to answer if I can. x
Old 22 Mar 10, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
CupcakeJoo
Very Serious Dibber

CupcakeJoo's Reviews
Thank you in advance! If you can offer me any advice / thoughts I'd be very very grateful.

Water... we are going to Tunisia so assume the tap water is not safe to drink. Toby still has 2 x bottle / formula feeds a day so we are going to take cartons to make that easier. But he does drink water with his meals - should we give him bottled water? or cooled boiled tap water? We are going to use water purification tablets in his bath-water and teething cleaning water (even though he only has 2 teeth! ) as he splashes a lot and might swallow the water.

The flight is 3hrs... do you think a dummy would help Toby during take-off and landing when his ears might pop? He only has one for sleeping normally.

Have you used those UV protected swim / sun suits? Toby has 1 - do you think we should get another? Do we also need to put sun-cream on him underneath the suit?

We're a little worried about him getting irritable on the flight - he's a nosy, inquisitive boy and doesn't like sitting still - he prefers being on the move!

I know this is a really daft question, but if he eats any sand - should we be really concerned? I want him to experience the beach (last time we went on one he was too young to do anything except lay on his back! ) but don't want to freak out if any sand goes on - which I guess is inevitable with babies!

I think that is all I can think of now (mental lists really aren't good! )
But if you have any general tips on travelling with a bubba - I'd be very grateful.

xxx
CupcakeJoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 10, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
joshmadty
Imagineer

Biggest piece of advice is dont panic or stress too much... easier said than done - but if you panic, your little one gets stressed too!

Firstly - The Plane

Deffo take a dummy for take of and landing. Also take
a couple of spare ones that your little one likes - nothing worse than trying to find the same brand when you lose the only one you have.

Take a nappy for each hour of travel, and then some. Wipes, nappy sacks and throwaway changing mats all come in handy.

Take a change of clothes for adults (or at the very least a spare tshirt)

Take a couple of changes of clothes for little one, and large zip lock bags to put dirty stuff in.

Take more food/bottles than you think you will need in case of any delays.
You can take anything you need for your little one, but will likely be made to open and taste any liquids, purees, yoghurt type foods. Remember to only take pots that can be resealed.
Ready made milk in cartons will also be required to be tasted – it might be best to order some in from Boots airside, or take boiled water with powder separate to add as needed.

Take a cuddly toy, crinkly toy or whatever your little one likes to hold or might be amused by. Also take a blanket as it can get chilly on flights.

You will be able to have a walk up and down the plane with him once any trolley service is finished. The inflight mag and sick bag should also provide amusement for a few minutes. If you are lucky, he might nod off. Depending on the flight time and how long everyone has been up from.

On Holiday

At 11 months I would still be tempted to use cooled boiled water for drinking – but at a push, bottled water will be fine.
Can’t say I have ever though about putting purification tablets in the bath… but if you feel its necessary? I wouldn’t bother for cleaning his teeth – just use some bottled water or pre boiled water.

Will your hotel have kettle or other facilities? I would suggest using Milton tablets to sterilise bottles and also take a small bottle of fairy liquid and a bottle brush to scrub out the bottles in the sink.

UV suits are great for protecting young ones skin – but ideally they shouldn’t be in direct sun for very long at all. It might be best to have more than one so you can put a dry one on if they get irritable when wet. I Have always used very high factor sun lotion and applied at least 20 minutes before leaving the room in the morning, even under uv suits.

Regarding the sand – don’t worry about it. It would be highly unlikely your little one would eat very much if at all – it does not taste that nice!
We always limited the amount of time by the sand, as it has a habit of getting everywhere – much prefer some grass or sitting by the pool.

Have you got swim nappies? A lot of pools now will not let you in without a swim nappy. Disposable ones from tesco are fine, but not great at holding stuff in. I always liked to use a neoprene swim short type one, can’t think of the name at the moment.

Best thing I can recommend to amuse kids of all ages are a selection of stacking pots. ELC do a great set with 10 pots, each different sizes and some with holes in the bottom. My lot can spend hours playing with these, both by the water and not.

Do you use grobags? – I would deffo suggest taking these for your little one to sleep. The 1 tog towelling ones are best.

Make sure to take a comfy lie bag buggy, rather than a cheap upright buggy. Late nights or naps during the day will be so much easier.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask away.
Old 23 Mar 10, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
CupcakeJoo
Very Serious Dibber

CupcakeJoo's Reviews
Wow! Thank you SO SO much for going to all that effort! I can't express how much I appreciate it!

Regarding the cartons of baby formula - can we pack it in our suitcase? I was planning on calling Boots to order a couple to collect air-side (he will need 1 bottle on the way out) but was planning on buying them at the supermarket here and packing them in the case to go in the hold?

We have swim nappies! Toby also loves his sleeping bag, so we'll definitely take that!

Hubby had already said about taking his stacking cups too! an easy toy to pack but Toby's favourite!

Julie xxx
Old 23 Mar 10, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
joshmadty
Imagineer

yep, you can pack cartons of formula in your suitcase. Be sure to take a few extra than you think you will need.

Also - what do you plan on doing for return journey?

Seperate powder and water might work out easier as again you will likely be made to open any cartons and then you are restricted with shelf life in case of any delays.

I would take the stacking pots on the plane too - they won't take up much space and will hopefully entertain for a few minutes. You can even play with them before getting on the plane.

Does your little have whole milk yet? I know he is 11 months, but that is pretty much when i tried my kids with it. For a few days i just made up bottles adding more and more whole milk instead of formula - no problems.
If you have a couple of weeks, maybe try that and then you always have the whole milk to fall back on. This will be much easier to use than formula?

Being on holiday is just like being at home and packing for a day out somewhere - as long as you think about what you might need beforehand and allow for all eventualities it will be fine.

They have babies in tunisia too, so worse case you will be able to purchase baby stuff - it just might not be all that easy and will differ from home.

Other than that, just have fun.
Old 23 Mar 10, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread