Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 20 Apr 15, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by becsluvssw View Post
I don't really understand the need to stay at universal! It's a short drive away, I know you can get FPfor free but we have always been fine, 14 days CBR for me ! We are going 2 weeks today !
Wow! Two weeks! Have a fab time! We aren't hiring a car out there so will have to rely on cabs. I kind of thought by the time we have paid for four trips, we may as well stay overnight and get on the rides quicker. At least that is the theory lol!
Have a wonderful time!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 15, 02:02 AM  
Link to this Post
nolypops83
VIP Dibber

Don't forget Halloween Horror Nights are on in October so just check the dates and avoid those nights if you want to make the most of your 1 night. Unless you plan on doing HHN then ignore me!
nolypops83 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 15, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

On our first visit we stayes at POR. Did 3 day trips to Universal using Mears shared shuttles (cheaper than a taxi for two of us). It worked out fine. But ... I didn't really 'feel the love' for Universal. So on our second trip we stayed over at Portofino Bay in the middle of our 14 nights at SSR.

I still don't love Universal like I do Disney - but I may have left a little piece of my heart in the Portofino Bay! Such a beautiful and relaxing resort.

We got a taxi 6.30am from SSR and arrived at PBH 20 minutes later. Checked in, our room was ready so found it, got our early entry passes and got to the gates by 8am.

Queue for Gringotts was 20 min and Diagon Alley was quiet. Also got to do Despicable Me as a walk on (it was open during early entry too).

Definitely worth doing. We were suffering a bit with colds and tiredness, so the ability to hop on a boat and go back to the room for a nap was wonderful. And then the half hour we spent sitting outside Sal's Deli eating a pizza and watching the boats bob on the lagoon - just a beautiful memory.

We did two nights, but most people just do one.

I know technically you are paying for two hotels at once, but for us it was worth it. Wouldn't want to do it any other way now.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 15, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by becsluvssw View Post
I don't really understand the need to stay at universal! It's a short drive away, I know you can get FPfor free but we have always been fine, 14 days CBR for me ! We are going 2 weeks today !
Having had similar discussions to those in the thread, we're taking this approach in August, early start, get to Universal early and go from there. We're in Coronado Springs though.
Thorpy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 15, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
challybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by BigTumMum View Post
Thank you so much for your replies. My mind was almost made up earlier to do the split but as the evening has moved on, I think the one night is becoming more appealing. I am hoping October won't be too busy at Universal. I didn't really want to pay out loads more as costs are already spiralling out of control. We were originally going to just get a taxi there for day trips, that was the plan until I worked out the taxi cost/queuing time versus hotel with FOLP included!

Thanks again for your opinions. They mean a lot to me and I hope I gain a bit more knowledge after my trip.
We have been twice in october and both times we have stayed 1 or 2 nights at a universal hotel , the early entry was great and the express passes were invaluable , some rides were 30-40 min wait but only 5 mins with the express pass .
we are going back this august and have booked 2 nights at the royal pacific hotel as we have been told august will be busy
Old 21 Apr 15, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

OP , I think a lot depends on the ages of your children and what sort of rides / theming they would like .

We have done 4 Disney trips , first one the grandchildren were 4 and 6 we did one night stay at universal , the same again two years later when they were 6 and 8 and again when they were 8and 10 , that time both boys and we agreed that they preferred Universal , their ages suited the theming and rides better , last year they missed out Disney altogether and went to Clearwater and then did a weeks stay in Universal ( RPR ) they really enjoyed it and didn't miss Disney at all .

So by the age of 9 and 11 their likes had changed , they really enjoyed Universal , they went in August and it was very hot so enjoyed the flexibility of being able to wander to the parks then go back to the hotel to the pool to cool off .they stayed club level which really worked well for them , they found they saved a lot of money as they were eating the food that was laid on in the hotel along with the free drinks and didn't feel the need to eat out as much .

My point is that a lot if your decision would depend on your family's likes and dislikes , Universal is more simulater rides , bigger coasters and of course Harry Potter , I will add a link to DD's trip report so you can read of their stay at universal along with what is on offer in the hotel .

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=784391

Linda x
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort

Edited at 09:10 AM.
Lindaelaine is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 15, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
pumpkin
Apprentice Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
If costs are spiralling I would just get a taxi and go for the day. If you get there early u shouldn't need to worry too much about FOTLP. It is October after all so go on the big ones early. Xx that's what I would do. The costs of meals etc will be significant without the room costs as well xx
Old 21 Apr 15, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We went to the universal parks last november and hardly had to queue at all for things so I wouldn't book and spend valuable money just for folp I would just take transport the day/s I wanted to go
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 15, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pickles234 View Post
We went to the universal parks last november and hardly had to queue at all for things so I wouldn't book and spend valuable money just for folp I would just take transport the day/s I wanted to go
I was there November 21st and 22nd and it was very busy , we were very grateful to have the front of line passes , on some of the rides like the Minions one we still had a 15 minute wait with the passes , it was 90 minutes without , we also went by the busy day guide and Universal was showing as being a good time to visit , I don't think you can ever guarantee what the wait times will be like , one November it was very quiet then another it was busy even though the busy day guide said otherwise , and we had grim weather too all other novembers have been lovely and warm this time it was cold and raining , think we had four hot days out of 14 , still had a great time though

Linda x
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 15, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
Not sure when in October you are going but Universal is big on Halloween and their Horror Nights are very popular! It's often difficult to find a hotel room in oct there. I personally would keep the onsite booking it can be very busy at the parks. Would be worth checking which days the events are on, think the dates ard out now?