Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Apr 11, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Smashbutt
Getting Excited

When I was there I saw plenty of people being pushed about on 4 wheels, and they all looked older than 7!

if it's going to be a long hot day then go for it I say.
My boy is going to be 5 when we visit next year and I know he'll be whinging about all the walking, as he moans when we walk to the shops!

Now if I could just fit his scooter in the suitcase...
Smashbutt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 11, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Lydiakate
Imagineer

Lydiakate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Smashbutt View Post
When I was there I saw plenty of people being pushed about on 4 wheels, and they all looked older than 7!

if it's going to be a long hot day then go for it I say.
My boy is going to be 5 when we visit next year and I know he'll be whinging about all the walking, as he moans when we walk to the shops!

Now if I could just fit his scooter in the suitcase...
Love your post. It isn't about lazy children, just hot, tired ones, including lots of older people managing their own mobility chairs. There is nothing wrong with all ages having a bit of help, if needed, in the heat and longish days that is Disney.
Old 5 Apr 11, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
l33na
VIP Dibber

Its been said before but each child is different. If you do get a stroller your son may only sit in for a little while when he needs rest. This in turn may help your day. Some children need no rest and some do. I would say you know your child best and you should do whatever suits your needs. You want to ensure your holiday as enjoyable as possible after all.
l33na is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 11, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Personally i'd rather a child use the buggy (as in hop in and out as and when it suits) and be happy and enjoy the day /evening , then see a tired grumpy child being dragged round the parks and generally the day being spoilt for everyone.

We took Connor my youngest at the ages of 2,5, 6 & 7.. At 5 he used the buggy a few times in the bigger parks , but not all the time.. it was far more useful at night though when i wanted to shop and he wanted to sleep. At 6 he used it once in the day (i think from memory this was at Epcot) and a few evenings... last yr at 7 we didnt bother taking it.

Not everyone wants to leave the park early.. we only do a few parks per trip so make the most of them so it suited us for him to sit in the stroller for an hr or so.

And one huge advantage of having a buggy is somewhere to hang your bags lol .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 11, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
sunkisser
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
We had one when Soph was 6, it was a god send.

This question always has a mixed response with some people getting quite shirty about it. You know your son and if you think he might need one, then get one! A happy child is much better .

I didn't even think about it when she was 6, I even said that I would have got her one when she was 8 if she needed it (she didn't need it though). I saw so many tired and tearful children being told to get a move on by their parents, they are only little and yet they are expected to walk miles, in heat that they are not used to!

You do what makes your son happy. Happy son = happy parents
I totally agree. We had one for my 7 yr old on late evenings. I don't care what other people think. It was a godsend
Old 5 Apr 11, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post

On our last trip (Dec'10) we had a sit 'n' stand buggy for our two DS's (5 & almost 8).

Definitely needed it, especially on an evening.

We're hoping to go out next April where they will be 6 & 9. Our eldest will not be using one then but, chances are, our youngest may still need it occassionally. I'll be buying a cheap one from walmart out there for him to use, although is suspect they'll take it in turns anyway.

Tbh though, my kids have ASD so it really was/is a must for us and I wouldn't worry about what people think. You need to do whats right for you and your family
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 11, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by sunkisser View Post
I totally agree. We had one for my 7 yr old on late evenings. I don't care what other people think. It was a godsend
Me too! My youngest was 7 when we went in 2008 and we bought a buggie from Walmart - he only used it to hop in and out of when he was tired/bored (queues/parades), better a happy/resting child than a screaming one! Also no carrying water bottles, bags, maps etc etc. I'm really going to miss having one this year because it always seems to be me that turns into the pack horse!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 11, 06:11 AM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

We took DS and DD to WDW aged 5 and 7 and, personally, never needed a buggy for either of them.

However, you know your son best and if you think that a pushchair would help you all to have a more relaxed and enjoyable holiday, I can't see any problem with taking one - at 7, he certainly won't be the oldest or biggest child that you'll see in one!
I would much rather see a 7 year old in a pushchair than witness the many children who are being dragged round screaming because they are worn out.
Old 6 Apr 11, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
No buggy for us in August. We are taking our 7 year old granddaughter and if we suggested we get her a buggy she will hit the roof.

Her attitude is that she is a big girl and buggies are for babies!

We will go to the parks every day during our 11 day stay but will pace it. Intend to go out first thing, go off site dinner time for shopping or back to POR and go out again tea time for the evening.

If Caitlin gets tired later in the day we will go back to the hotel and she can do what she wants.

Would definitely not force her to stay out late just so we can enjoy ourselves. She takes priority over everything else!
Old 6 Apr 11, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
eeyore2009
Imagineer

eeyore2009's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 9
There are other people on the dibb who take pushchairs for older children. I think he/she would fit into any standard pushchair.

If you are staying in a villa, many of them have a pusghchair for your use so this would save on you taking your own.