Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Closed Thread

Old 8 Mar 15, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancingducks
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by JellyEllieBean View Post
... the point I was making was that AS A PARENT I would not go to an outside agency after having heard something from another child and parent I would contact the school and ask them! As a governor if the parent CONTACTED the school about a safeguarding issue I have a Duty to investigate , But hey thanks for judging my ability to be a governor without knowing me!
As I stated in my initial post my son advised me first, I then checked it out from there. It was not a case of hearing something via another child/ parent, I checked with a parent I trust to gauge whether my son may have been correct. Sometimes he isn't !

In answer to a fellow poster I have no conflict with the school, however I do find that if all parties listened to those who know the (special needs) child best - the parents - some situations could be avoided more often.

Common sense, in this instance and as I hadn't been in this situation before, said I should check as much as I could first before referring to the school. Hence I asked for advice on here, next morning managed to obtain some basic legal advice and the police contacting me to confirm their view. Having then obtained that I felt a lot more confident in approaching the school in the right manner. Nothing worse than contacting them about something that may not have happened or with inaccurate claims.

All this does seem rather heavy handed and inappropriate by the school and I am awaiting their response.

As and when I will let you all know, hope you all had a good weekend and thank you all for taking the time to let me know your thoughts, it is very much appreciated

Edited at 08:30 PM.
Dancingducks is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 15, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

It's so hard being a parent some time x
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 15, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancingducks
Excited about Disney

Yes, it's all worth it though IMO
Dancingducks is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 15, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Dancingducks View Post
Yes, it's all worth it though IMO
Totally agree x
Old 9 Mar 15, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancingducks
Excited about Disney

Had an initial reply from the school stating it was "just a general chat" and didn't really answer the concerns. Went back and advised them the police have confirmed it was more a one to one. School now say this may have been the case ! Waiting to hear off the head tomorrow now. This is why I always try and get the full picture, I would have accepted the school's side otherwise. What matters is helping my son in the best way possible (from all of us !) yet this does not help anyone. Tomorrow could be interesting !
Old 9 Mar 15, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

I find this quite disturbing, that the school have done this. They have singled him out and will not say why. Quite shocking they are actually allowed to do this. I think they need to more open and honest with you. They have already changed their story once. Another thing, have you asked if this is recorded on his school record at all?

I hope you get it sorted soon. If you meet with the head or whoever from the school, make sure you take a friend or relative, who will be able to stay calm, and take in information that you may miss, as i think it could be upsetting for you, thats in my experience what happens when i have been called to "meetings", big hugs to you. X
Bootrip2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Mar 15, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancingducks
Excited about Disney

I think it was a lack of communication, shall we say, at the school. I think they'll be fine now as they realise they've made (probably) two huge errors. I think I'll be asking for their confirmation in an email or writing on whatever we discuss just in case.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice and support, fingers crossed I can move forward after tomorrow
Old 9 Mar 15, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Dancingducks you are very wise to ask for everything in writing/email. Also if you have a conversation just follow it up with a "just to confirm our conversation" email.

I think the school have behaved appallingly firstly by having police talk with your son without having even discussed it with you abd secondly apparently lying about the nature of the "chat".

I hope for you and your your son that the school have learned from this and accept that you will not just accept what they tell you, especially now. X
Old 13 Mar 15, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Dancingducks
Excited about Disney

Went to the school for a meeting yesterday. The school apologised for "any misunderstanding" at first, eventually accepted the "informal chat" my son had was inappropriate and they should have communicated better throughout. Minutes were taken and I should be getting my copy today in the school bag.

Thank you to everyone again for their guidance and advice.
Old 13 Mar 15, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread